well i got my first luxeon

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so far i hate it and may return it. we dont have many options here so i go it in fort benning ga. .we have a huge atmy base there. i got the streamligh 3aa lexeon i thought it would be brighter.well maybe the battery life is good how long should alkiline last in it?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie- it is not a 4AA incandescent. What don't you like about it ? I will have to admit I also was nonplussed by my first 1 watt Lux, the same as yours by the way. I still have the original alkalines in it after several MONTHS of ocassional use. Not a bad light.

Is the color OK ? If it's a "greenie", return the durn thing to SL, and they will replace it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
seems a tad green to me.its dark out side now but raining so i will try it more..plus i payed like 45 for it. way to much i think.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
can i send it to streamlight the dealer i went to was kinda far dont have time to drive there again.its called ranger joes.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow the 1 watters seem much more brighter on little packages such as the Arc LS and KL1. When you have a big (relatively speaking) 3AA light, you expect it to produce more light. I know I hold my little Arc LS twisty and it seems pretty bright and then I hold my mini-mag badboy and I think it's just OK when in reality both produce close to the same amount of light. Can you put lithium's in the 3AA light or does that drive the voltage too high. Yeah $45 seems little high. A better deal is to hopefully get one of the Arc LS specials for $60 if indeed they become available on the 29th.

charliek

Enlightened
The Streamlight 3AA Luxeon is not a "Wow look at that" Luxeon star light.... but it beats the pants off a CMG Reactor...
If you stick a little "Clear book cover" material over the lens, it will blend the slightly purple center with the slightly green outside to make a nice smooth off-white. The light is well made, and the beam is nice and smooth. Don't expect it to be brighter than a Xenon of the same class- it will run for a long time (at lessening brightness) MUCH longer than a Xenon.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was so excited to lol. i dont have a credit card so online purchases are hard for me.it does have a green tint. now i know what craig means buy cat urine lol .it does seem very well made.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
brightness is relative.

if you're used to a 6volt incandescant, and all you hear about is people "raving" about how bright a luxeon is, you might be let down when you actually get one.

for a led, and for their features, 1watters are amazing. if you are only considering brightness, and not taking into account runtime, battery drain curve, better color rendition (in most cases), and smoother beam, then you might be let down.

charliek

Enlightened
My interest in Luxeons really started with my Brookstone Superlux- Once I bought an ARC LSH I was hopelessly hooked! Now I compare every LED light I own to the Arc! My first Madmax+wo sealed the deal..... I'm not that interested in incandescents anymore....

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said it best in my opinion, it's too big for just a one watt light. It's like having a 4 cyl engine in an F350.

GregR

raggie33

*the raggedier*
some day ill get a arc ls them are the cats meow.thats video of his new light is amazeing

rlhess

Enlightened
I paid about the same price for a custom-made Lambda Illuminator--a 1W Luxeon built in a 2AA Brinkmann flashlight. I also bought his "Ill Pill" to convert one of my 2AA Mag lights to a 1W Luxeon.

The brightest Luxeon I have is the Surefire KL3 for the 9P, but I use the Lambda more, because it's smaller. I also have the KL1 for the Surefire E2e which is my bright, four-hour light in my bag.

However, while I like Luxeons, I didn't go over to them as my mainstay lights until the 5-watt ones came out. I just can't say enough good things about the Surefire L4. This is the light (and I think I got a good one) that just screams.

I use the Illuminator for lots of things around and under my desk, audio equipment, and computers where the 5W is too much.

I have looked at the SL 3AA Luxeon, and I suspect you'll get a lot of good light out of it for a long time. Remember, it will most likely be there when you need some light for a long time.

Cheers,

Richard

robk

Enlightened
It's been my experience that early Streamlight 3AA's come with crummy binned low dome luxeons. I can't comment on the newer ones, but mine came with a N1HW, can't get much worse than that! I replaced it with a Q3JW, and it's usable but awkward due to the length of the battery housing. Not my favorite light.
Rob

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm, i got a great SL 3AA Luxeon in the BST forum here from Danny AKA RevolverGeek..

it's pretty white.. almost like a CCFL.. there's a slightly green ring around the corona, but hey, there really isn't a corona so it's hardly noticeable..

i've used it daily for 3 weeks and it's on the set of batteries that came with it..

to each his own!

back to the drawring board huh Raggie?

Edit:
Raggie, i know you said you have a hard time ordering online, but maybe you could check out Wayne's sale @ www.elektrolumens.com anyway.. for about $15 more than what you spent on that SL 3AA luxeon you could get a MUCH brighter light.
Elektrolumen's Holiday Sale

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,
There is a thread in the Mod section of CPF that involves brightening the Streamlight. If you have a friend of yours that owns a soldering iron and can get ahold of a 1 ohm/1 watt resistor...it will be much brighter.
The other option is changing out the low binned Luxeon for a higher binned one. The way to get a high binned one is buy a Luxeon III TWAK emitter. If the heatsinking is good enough, you can direct drive the luxeon with no resistors, a LS III TWAK direct drive would be blinding!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i already lost the light.dont ask how i can lose something so big.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
found it but .i still hate it the light is so green. and it aint much brighter then my dorcy aaa.i sorta doubt ill buy another product from this company again

B@rt

Flashaholic
Glad you found it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You really should send it back and ask for a white replacement though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
can i send it back to streamlight directly?if i have recipt i doubt the place i bought it will help they seem to be lacking in custermer suport