What would be a good LED drop-in for this SF weapon light?

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I have been a flashaholic for a while, but never got into weapon lights. A friend recently gave me the light pictured below. It is a 2 cell light with a P60 module in it.
The tail cap is a fwd clicky with tape switch. It also came with an IR filter.
Can anyone tell me the model/type? Are there any upgrade modules that are compatible with this light? (ie malkoff, etc...)
Thanks for the help. I know nothing about this, so please share all the info you have.

sdkydl.jpg

5vobas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is this SF weapon light?

Yes, you can run a Malkoff drop-in in the M951, and I've been doing it for years.

There isn't a lot of contact between the lamp assembly holder and the drop-in, so the heat path is limited.

My Nailbender drop-ins are too wide at the base to fit properly, buy my Vinh one fits acceptably well.

CPF member M4A1usr sells drop-ins on eBay that he modifies so that they are supposed to fit the lamp holders.

Last edited:

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened

What forum is this in now? Both the general and incan forums say that it is moved.... Moved to where? Can I repost in the general forum where it belongs?

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is now in the homemade and modified flashlights section.

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
It is now in the homemade and modified flashlights section.

Brilliant...there is nothing homemade nor modified about this light. And my question about a drop in hardly makes it a discussion about modding a light.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant...there is nothing homemade nor modified about this light. And my question about a drop in hardly makes it a discussion about modding a light.

A mod might've accidentally selected the wrong forum possibly. What I've done in the past to get stuff moved is click the report button on the first post of my thread and say in the message box "hey can y'all move this to _____ forum, please?"

Anyways, as to your light, nice stuff! If you need a comparison, I think the Surefire M2 was basically the "hand carry" version of your light (i.e.: 2-cell, shock isolated bezel)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I changed the title of this thread, and moved it to LED Flashlights, where discussions go on every day about drop-ins.

Bill

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I've never had an M2 (though I did have an old Z32 at one point) but I've always thought that if you wanted to put an LED in an M2 it would make since to replace the head with a Z44?

mts49

Newly Enlightened
There are a bunch of those 951/952 bodies on eBay, I've thought about picking one up to build a nice weapon light.

That's a pretty sweet gift!

I've currently got a G2 with a DX 6090 drop in, but I'm not confident that it will withstand 12ga recoil... Malkoff would be a good option.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a bunch of those 951/952 bodies on eBay, I've thought about picking one up to build a nice weapon light.

That's a pretty sweet gift!

I've currently got a G2 with a DX 6090 drop in, but I'm not confident that it will withstand 12ga recoil... Malkoff would be a good option.
there you go :)

Malkoff stuff is quality and you can't go wrong with it. Best yet, the Malkoff family always supports their stuff no matter what. I know a few CPFers have posted about talking to Mr. Gene Malkoff a bunch and I get the vibe theyre just as nice as their product support/service is good.

Look into an M61L (or a Warm variant) if you want a good balance of runtime (5 hours on 2x CR123) and output (175 lumens OTF) for your G2

m4a1usr

Enlightened

Yes, you can run a Malkoff drop-in in the M951, and I've been doing it for years.

There isn't a lot of contact between the lamp assembly holder and the drop-in, so the heat path is limited.

My Nailbender drop-ins are too wide at the base to fit properly, buy my Vinh one fits acceptably well.

CPF member M4A1User sells drop-ins on eBay that he modifies so that they are supposed to fit the lamp holders.

Thanks Grizz! I do sell these on Ebay. Your choice of XPG (best throw) or XML (best Spill). Depends on your preference. Custom machined reflector to fit the SF Lamp Holder assy. Simple drop in. Not the typical cheapie P60. Modified and improved. 20 minute burn in for quality before shipping. You can find me here or there.