Fenix P3D Q5 Malfunction

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took two AW RCR123's off the charger, they read 4.16v, I put them in my P3D and went through the modes and the second - medium mode was no brighter than low. I tried two primaries and it was the same, I bypassed the tailcap with something metal, same thing. I put the head on a P2D body with 1x RCR123 and medium was working at normal brightness.

I guess the voltage of two RCR123's was too much for the circuit, so I am running one cell now.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you tried 2 primaries and it was the same, then I guess the buck regulation is fried. The P3D buck circuit is supposed to support 8,4v wich is fine for 2 x RCR. If it can run fine from one RCR, you could then use a 17670 in your P3D...

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The turbo mode flickers on one cell but all other modes work normally. I have a 17670 but I am running it in my Quark.

I want to see how much edcing my Fenix can handle since I have other Fenix lights, it has held up well other than this issue.

My Quarks have had no issues yet and two have been carried quite a bit.

I know not to run RCR123's in my TK10 now.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried two primaries again and medium mode is working normaly now. I think I'll keep it on one cell.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run my P3D on rcr's for the last 3 or 4 month's, mostly on low and medium and had no issues until I recharged this last time.

I have run my TK10 on rcr's too but haven't used it much.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't sound like you fried anything. Sounds like your RCR cells hot off the charger will only give you the higher brightness settings. I think the circuit is designed this way to protect itself. The L2D works the same. Until the voltage drops into the right range, the low is brighter (as bright as the medium). When the voltage gets in the right range, you get all the modes back. As for using one RCR cell, the operating voltage on the P3D Q5 is a little high to run the battery all the way down but you will get some runtime with it. The low battery warning strobe will kick in early, especially on the higher levels with 1 RCR cell.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're right, I will probably try 2 rcr's again and see how it goes.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is functioning normally now with two rcr123's, thank you all for the replies.