15,000mah 18650's? How long before graphene tech comes to fruition in batteries?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just reading about graphene and its potential uses in the future. It was only about 10 years ago that scientists figured out a way to produce it, and they won a Nobel prize for that accomplishment. Now they are supposedly working on ways to produce graphene efficiently and cheaply. It is the world's strongest substance and its a supercapacitor. The articles claim that there can be a 500% increase in battery capacity using this tech. Also, batteries made with it can be fully charged in seconds or minutes, instead of several hours. Just about 2 years ago, it was said that it will be 5-7 years before it will be produced industrially, but then just months later, a company began producing it earlier than anticipated.

So, how likely is it that this technology will yield ultra high capacity batteries of 5+ times their current capacity? How long before it hits the marketplace? Will these batteries still be produced in the same popular sizes and dimensions of today's standard batteries like AA, AAA, C, D, 18650, 18350, 14500, etc?

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to technology, LOTS has been promised. But so much of the time, MUCH less actually pans out. I'm not sure where things will go with graphene. I've also heard that it can make for VERY efficient thermoelectric devices. But thus far, nothing is available either on the battery or thermoelectric front. That's not to say that nothing will. But it could take longer than anticipated to work out all the bugs and/or bring down costs sufficiently to make a commercially viable product. Also keep in mind that, should a product come to market, improvements may be more modest than expected - at least at first. But the bottom line here is to not hold your breath as far as seeing drastic improvements in battery performance anytime soon because of graphene. I could be wrong. But generally speaking, these things don't happen fast (if they do indeed happen).

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I think a more efficient thermoelectric device will be a bigger game changer than a better battery. Solid state cooling is great in every way-except efficiency. Once we can make thermoelectrics which approach Carnot efficiency it'll open up a whole new world. We can probably make refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners which use half the power of compressor-based units. We can also more easily get precise temperature control because unlike compressors, thermoelectrics are amenable to running at any power level between 0% and 100%.

Better batteries with 500% more capacity would also be revolutionary. We'll have electric cars with 1000 mile range. That would be the nail in the coffin for internal combustion. We'll also be able to make many more devices portable. Better batteries combined with more efficient thermoelectrics might make something like a portable tent cooler feasible, for example. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen, but if/when it does, watch out because it will be a serious game changer.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better batteries with 500% more capacity would also be revolutionary. We'll have electric cars with 1000 mile range. That would be the nail in the coffin for internal combustion. We'll also be able to make many more devices portable. Better batteries combined with more efficient thermoelectrics might make something like a portable tent cooler feasible, for example. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen, but if/when it does, watch out because it will be a serious game changer.

Better thermoelectrics would especially be a nail in the coffin for internal combustion engines. What need could we possibly have for heavy, noisy, clunky combustion engines if we can accomplish the same thing with silent thermoelectrics? And better thermoelectrics could be used to get useful power from all types of heat sources - everything from hot photovoltaic cells to campfires to hot springs. As it stands, new lead-tellurium based thermoelectric materials have already delivered 20% efficiency (but who knows when - or if - they will become available). Graphene promises MUCH higher efficiencies. But although I would REALLY like to see it, who knows if it will ever be reality.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think what has been the biggest obstacle for such technology is price. Even if they can make it they end up costing prices so high that the only realistic use is for the space program where size and weight is as important as cost. I don't expect even a 100% boost in battery tech in the next 10 years myself I expect about 5 to maybe 10% boost if that. I think that thermoelectric tech if boosted enough could use a lot of excess heat in the world to make power... even competing on a level with other power sources in some instances where the difference in temperature is enough to make electricity. I don't think they will easily replace engines but perhaps partially replace the alternator and generator systems in many places if the cost and output/size of them gets competitive.

Etsu

Enlightened
Be very wary of any scientist that claims a breakthrough will result in some amazing technology application that is only 5 years away.

It's always 5 years away!

When they actually have a working prototype that is reproducible by scientific peers, then I'll believe them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not reading the article... if the battery was more capable of higher output (current) by the same factor it could cause serious issues making it extremely dangerous. Imagine shorting one of these super capacity batteries out and having it explode somewhere... OUCH.

Enlightened
I think what has been the biggest obstacle for such technology is price. Even if they can make it they end up costing prices so high that the only realistic use is for the space program where size and weight is as important as cost.
To be fair, in the space program size and weight IS cost.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I created some graphene using scotch tape and a pencil, and applied it to a sanyo 18650. Much more capacities, many volts!

nice avatar, highlander, crystalline bysmuth always looks so cool!