Surefire EB2 Owners I have a Question

bullettproof

Enlightened
Well hello everyone. I recently picked up an X300 ULTRA and I have been extremely pleased with it. The beam is perfect and neutral white. Since, I have been so happy with the Ultra, I decided to pickup the new EB2. I was under the impression that the heads were basically identical in all respects? Upon receiving the new EB2 today, I was not happy to see such a greenish tint. My question is do all the EB2's have this green tint or did I just win the lottery lol? Are the LEDS different in these models?Any input would be appreciated. Thank you !

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if they use the same LEDs but I still assume its a lottery with tints.

Is it noticeable in use?

If you dislike the EB2 green tint, call up SF and see what they can do.

Jason

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experienced the exact same situation as you, only in reverse order. I bought a E2DL Ultra when they first hit the market and was treated to the greenest tint I've yet seen (but it's still an awesome pocket thrower).

Fast forward roughly a year, and I ordered a KE2C head, expecting the same green tint. I was rewarded with an outstanding white tint fully as nice as my LX2.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I sent the light back for an exchange. I received another eb2 that is much better while it still has a hint of yellow it's way way better and I'm much happier with it.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I have a Defender Ultra that is green and I have a EB2 that is even greener. I have read mention of Surefire cherry picking yellow-green leds and for sometime have debated with myself if that really is true. After looking through some old Surefire catalogs I noticed several yellow-green options for their lights. The A2 had a yellow-green option if I remember right and some of their head or helmet lights did as well.

I came to the conclusion that Surefire really is focused on the yellow-green tint for its receptivity with the human eye but that over time I think they run out and default to whatever tint they can get. However, this is my opinion.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I think the TIR optic brings the worst out of the led showing much more color flaw than a regular reflector would.

archimedes

Flashaholic
At one point, the "yellowish-green biased spectrum" was apparently listed as a selling point .... For example, some of the listings on Amazon still note this in the description (not linked here, but should be easy to find) :shrug: