Safe charger for 10180 li ion batteries?

robert.t

Enlightened
I've been putting off my first forays into Li Ion but when I saw this, I couldn't help myself. I decided I'd better order it before the stock runs out and figure out the charging details later. However, having spent quite some time reading up on C-rates, comparing charger reviews, etc., it seems that it is not easy to find what I want, which is a charger with:

- Proper constant-current (CC) and constant-voltage (CV) stages;
- Safe cut-off with no potentially unsafe trickle-charge beyond the CV limit;
- Voltage cut-off at the right level for 10180 (I haven't even been able to find out what the is!)
- Low maximum current, ideally less than 100ma.
- Ideally, an option to charge to ~80% or whatever level is best for safe storage while not in use.
- Voltage read-out nice but not essential; if it has one it must be accurate!

It seems that finding chargers with the first 2 is easy, but they all put out far too much current for a 10180 to handle. Finding low-current is also relatively easy in the wrong kind of charger, but that's no good for safely charging lithium ion cells. Safety features or the lack thereof is a complete deal-breaker for me, as I don't really have space for a fireproof sandpit to do my charging in.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find a technical spec for the 10180 giving the correct charging voltage & tolerance, that would be a big help in itself. Once I receive the batteries with the torch I will find out what their specific capacity rating is, but from what I've read I'd guess it's about 90mAh.

In an ideal world, I'd also like something that comes off-the-shelf with a warranty and can be bought in the UK, although I'm increasingly prepared to admit that is a pipe dream, so will consider other options. Safety is the number one overriding concern.

ven

Flashaholic
Try cpfmarketplace and look for cottonpickers, he has some small chargers.

+1

awesome service,highly recommend,if link does not work you need to sign up as separate:twothumbs
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...l-Worlds-smallest-Li-ion-charger-with-display

Just do you a pic now,not used it yet but got it for 10180 at 60ma

***Just to show size!! its next to an 18650 unprotected cell***,i dont have any 10180 cells yet,still in mail.

As said just to show size of charger,obv not for 18650 cells:thumbsup:

robert.t

Enlightened
I could do with some more information about those CottonPicker's chargers. From the pictures it looks like there is no battery compartment, just a couple of loose wires. That hardly fits my safety criteria because the chances of a dead short occurring by accident are pretty high. I don't particularly want to have to solder on my own compartment, make sure it's all properly insulated and so on - I'd rather it came "ready to go" so I don't have to touch it, in case I accidentally fluff it which again would compromise its safe operation.

So, what am I missing? Are these available as complete, properly insulated units or are they essentially kits?

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry i presumed you could have got info off link,they have magnets on each end,you connect to cell,on mine it lights red,when charged it turns green.

Other options include digital display ...........

So in short(no pun intended) they stick to cell,and charged via USB other that that you risk over charging as any more than 90ma is too high,like spacers(also used as a cell carry) to fit in your more conventional charger ie xtar/i4 etc will be too higher charge rate........

I struggled myself,cottonpickers is the answer,if not happy with that good luck as there really is not much else if anything.Dave has excellent feedback/following,came recommended to me with the same question.I just go off advice off far more knowledgeable peeps than me.

The one i have is 60ma which dave recommended personally.

As said check his thread out on marketplace,you need to join separate if not already:twothumbs

Will get a pic of instructions

HKJ

Flashaholic
I could do with some more information about those CottonPicker's chargers. From the pictures it looks like there is no battery compartment, just a couple of loose wires.

It is fairly easy to short the charger, but the different length of the wires help a bit in preventing it. The magnets on the wires makes it fairly easy to put on the batteries.
The one I tested worked fairly well, as expected (It is a single LiIon charge chip that does the job and they usual works).

I have seen one small charger more and it had a tray, but I cannot remember the battery size it charges. I believe that it was one of the custom makers that is selling it with their lights.

robert.t

Enlightened

Thanks for the information ven, but is there some reason why you didn't post it here publicly? I'm sure that information might be useful to anyone else that may be looking for the same information in the future. I might not have had to start this thread at all if the information in similar past threads I found wasn't so sketchy and potentially out of date.

ven

Flashaholic
The reason was i have not asked Davids permission.........simple as that and being a public forum.

I will pm david,if he is happy i will post here then;)

I agree,i struggled and took some hours into days research,tbh really honest i was waiting for the light/cells and do a thread on it when it comes.........

I will still do that anyway to help peeps out and link davids charger.

Have you signed up to the market place?

If not do it:thumbsup: its well worth it..........

robert.t

Enlightened
It is fairly easy to short the charger, but the different length of the wires help a bit in preventing it.

Shorting the charger is one thing, but the bigger risk is shorting the cell. To paraphrase Star Wars, chargers don't blow people's arms out of their sockets when they are shorted. Lithium Ion cells are known to do that ;)

The main problem is the lack of any insulation around the contacts. Ideally, you want a plastic cradle with the contacts inside like you'd find in a commercial charger. Then the only way of shorting it accidentally is if you put a nail in it or something. Ideally it should also have a closing cover so there's no chance of accidentally dropping something in it that might cause a short.

I have a lot of junk on my desk near my PC, so the chances of the contacts touching something metal is pretty high if I were being careless for some reason. I'm sure I wouldn't be that careless, but I'd rather not give myself the opportunity. It wouldn't be the first time I did something ill-considered while drunk of after working for two days without sleeping.

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened
The reason was i have not asked Davids permission.........simple as that and being a public forum.

Fair enough. Hopefully he won't object.

Have you signed up to the market place?

If not do it:thumbsup: its well worth it..........

Not yet. I've already spent more money than I could afford since I discovered this place. Not in a rush to make it any worse :)

ven

Flashaholic
Just follow instructions and will be fine,as said there is a a substantial difference in length to the wires,you would have to pretty much do it on purpose and have plugged in imho.

There is more risk imo using a normal li-ion charger as at 750ma+ is just too high for the small cell...........

You could find some rubber or silicon socks for contacts of makes you feel happier,but until its in your usb its fine.Obv once in you will have to take care as with any charger to an extent........just my opinion,i have no worries/issues at all,and at 60 pages now on his charger thread it cant be too much of an issue;)

ven

Flashaholic
Fair enough. Hopefully he won't object.

Not yet. I've already spent more money than I could afford since I discovered this place. Not in a rush to make it any worse :)

I did pre charger,i had not done my 3 posts to be moderated,so had to wait for that,once done its done,better sooner than later............as it will come in handy and the chargers are very very reasonably priced,if anything the marketplace saves you money!!!! providing your looking at spending in the 1st place :laughing:

robert.t

Enlightened
So, does anyone have another suggestion, or is CottonPicker's the only option?

sassaquin

Enlightened
Velenodesigns, a well-known custom flashlight maker in Taiwan, makes a tiny USB charger specifically made for 10180 batteries. His website Velenodesigns(dot)com sells them for $12.99 as an accessory for his Quantum d2 flashlight.

I've owned one for several years and feel it is well made, very safe and a great solution for charging 10180 batteries.

ven

Flashaholic
I found either that or something very very similar but all had sold out,tried for a day or 2 of searching and nothing :mecry:

But no regrets with cottonpickers:D

robert.t

Enlightened
Velenodesigns, a well-known custom flashlight maker in Taiwan, makes a tiny USB charger specifically made for 10180 batteries. His website Velenodesigns(dot)com sells them for $12.99 as an accessory for his Quantum d2 flashlight.

Now I'm tempted to buy a Quantum D2. It's not as tiny or as pretty as the DQG SPY, but still a nice little light that comes with the charger included for $48. It has quantum tunnelling continuous variability too, something I'm curious to try out, mainly because it sounds cooler than it actually is.

I can't find any more info about this charger or pictures though. How does it compare to Cottonpickers'? In particular, does it leave the contacts exposed when a battery is inserted, or does it have a properly insulated cradle or end caps of some sort? Do you have any specs for the current delivery over time, CC/CV modes, etc.?

ven

Flashaholic
iirc the charger is $12 on top of the $48 for light,then cells or trits extra...............still looks a very nice light,maybe another week i might go for a package,up to $77 before post of $3.50

So $80.50 all in providing the locator is an option:cool:

Bout £50 of my money,quite an expensive key chain light to get knocked about,i do prefer it to the DQG tbh,looks nicer ,just larger:)

Getting into my smaller lights:D