Diffuser film for your ugly beams

wedlpine

Enlightened
I have a couple of budget lights with some ugly beams. The ugliest of these is the Ozark Trail 750 Lumen Rechargable LiIon LED Flashlight. A Walmart was clearing them out at 50% off so I had to get one.

Anyways, I was looking for some diffuser film to put on the lens to smooth out the beam and came upon this website, decorativefilm.com. They have many different diffusion and decorative films for windows. The films are self adhesive using an adhesive that is optically clear. The films are made by Solyx. I know this isn't a new idea, but what got me was the free samples. You can pick up to five free samples, which are 5 by 7 inches in size. They also don't charge for sending them to you. I picked five different degrees of diffusion: Milky Frost White, Acid Etch, Dusted Crystal, Clear Sand Blast and Fine Crystal Frost. It even appears that some of the films make the beams look a little warmer.

I have already done one light with plans of doing three or four more. Works great. I hope more people can use these.

markr6

Flashaholic
Free samples are always nice! I diffused my Rayovac Indestructible 2AA because it's basically a blue laser beam. Still a horrible tint but it just sits in the garage as a beater light anyway.

SX-1309 Fine Crystal Frost: looks similar to the d-c-fix I use. I may try it to compare.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

wedlpine

Enlightened
The Rayovac Idestructible 2AA is one that I plan on doing as well. Along with the Defiant 1000 lumen, Defiant ArmorMax 3D and Defiant ArmorMax 3C.