World Trade center security system = Fail

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here's an idea.... Before spending 40 million dollars to install a security system at a former site of the biggest terrorist attack ever to take place on American soil, maybe, oh I don't know.... Test it to make sure some 16 year-old teen isn't able to beat it. (And then climb up to the very needle of number 1 World Trade.) Hmmm.... Just an idea.

Yup, a 16 year-old defeated a $40,000,000 security system. And honestly, I can't blame the kid. Ironically, can't blame the security guard who fell asleep either. Two reasons for the latter. One, the guard was just one layer of security in what was supposed to be a multi-layer system. Two, despite the guard being fired over this, anyone who has worked night-after-night of endless security shifts knows that human-beings have an internal clock and simply were not designed to work regular nightly shifts for years. Ironically, many security managers know that too. They just don't care.

As for how the kid pulled it off, apparently he snuck through a hole in the fence that was considered too small for an adult or a teenager to squeeze into. Then, he managed to make it to the elevator. (Some say he was dressed up as a construction worker. But that's a rumor as of now.) Once at the elevator, he managed to figure out how it works. (Not a normal elevator such as those inside an apartment building.) He then went up to the 88th floor. At some point he snuck past the sleeping guard. Climbed the stairs up to the top floor from there. And finally climbed up the needle.

Being a typical modern 16 year-old dumbass, he used his cellphone to document his climb.... Then posted the pics. up on the internet. That's how authorities even knew he had done this.

As can be expected, many New Yorkers are rightfully angry as Hell! As a New Yorker who has lived in this city since 1979, so am I. But I don't blame the 16 year-old. I'm not angry with him. "Oh look! A teenager did something stupid." :ironic:

But in the process, highlighted just how seriously security is taken in this city.

Here's a link to an article about it:
www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/new-york-world-trade-center-intruder/

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who spec'd & oversaw the security system installation? Any idea?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Security is a process, not a system. Security systems are just a tool to use in that process. Guards are no use when they're not looking.

Being a typical modern 16 year-old dumbass, he used his cellphone to document his climb....
Yeah that's dumb... he should have taken a real camera for much better pix. Btw those pix making it onto the internet, is a Good Thing (tm). Otherwise we'd never have known about it, and couldn't have admired the climber's skills.

But as usual, dumbass authorities will probably handle this "look! I climbed on top of a building!" like a high crime of sorts. Versus finding out what went wrong, and improving that. Just for kicks, I hope that some other 'hero' repeats this same feat in a year or so. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+1 to star, There is definitely a market in risk assessment for this kid's particular set of skills, lol.

There actually are former professional cat burglars who got caught, and now get paid to test modern-day, big-dollar, security systems. Clearly, one of those guys was not hired to test out the system. Imagine how easily one of those guys could have beaten the system if a fricking 16 year-old could pull it off while just messing about.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Who spec'd & oversaw the security system installation? Any idea?

No clue so far. I'll post if I find that bit of info. (Or if anyone else knows, please post.)

Ultimately, I'd say it's the responsibility of our former Mayor. If for no other reason than the fact that he was in charge when the system was put up.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, I guess the point I was getting at is that anything that is developed, run, overseen, or managed by the government is going to have plenty of holes in it. Looking forward to what you find Monocrom.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm surpised by this myself. I would think there would be motion detectors, infrared cameras, or just something up there which rings an alarm when an unauthorized person is up on the roof. It's a major fail that he remained undetected long enough to climb the needle, let alone come down and post pictures ( dumb move, just like the idiot who broke the record for circuiting Manhattan last year and only got caught because he was stupid enough to put up a video of it).

I'm not blaming the kid, either. At that age I ended up in places I wasn't supposed to be, like in a subway train which was headed for a storage track for the night. I also recall ending up in some parts of stations which were closed off to the general public. I think one of them was the lower level of 42nd Street IND station but I can't really remember after all these years. And then there were a few other incidents, some as an adult where curiosity just got the best of me. The truth is getting into places you don't belong is relatively easy because most of the time the only thing preventing you from getting in is the security guard. Getting out undetected poses the bigger problem.

I'm flabbergasted they don't test security regularly, perhaps do things like maybe have someone with fake bombs or weapons try to make it past security at some unannounced time.

Oh, and you should only hire night people for night shift work. My circadian rhythm means I'm at my peak in the wee hours of the night. I can't imagine a morning person being all that effective as a night watchman.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a major night owl myself. Regular night shift duty just isn't a problem for me. But for the average person, not just a Morning person, their internal clock is set to sleep-mode after the Sun goes down. Yes, through sheer will they can stay awake numerous nights in a row. But that internal clock will catch up with them soon enough.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
What a sweet gig, guarding the most famous building in the nation at the moment, and you get it at its quietest and most serene hours. One catch though; they fired *one guy* - not such a sweet gig if I'm just the one guy guarding a hundred plus floors all by my lonesome..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What a sweet gig, guarding the most famous building in the nation at the moment, and you get it at its quietest and most serene hours. One catch though; they fired *one guy* - not such a sweet gig if I'm just the one guy guarding a hundred plus floors all by my lonesome..

Yup.... $40 Million security system.... and the 16 year-old only had to sneak past one guard. Seriously?!

When I used to work 2nd shift (4pm-Midnight) at the giant Con-Ed complex in Astoria, I was not the only Security Guard there. There was always at least a handful of us. One site supervisor carried a Pelican 2390 M6 (3watt) LED model. Another one was always packing a SureFire Z2 inca. model in a hard plastic SF holster. (Neither were flashaholics. They just both understood the importance of a quality light.)

Something is very wrong indeed when you just need to get past one guard to reach the stairs leading to the top of the top of Number 1 World trade.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I used to work 2nd shift (4pm-Midnight)

I did that shift for fifteen years (although for us it was the 3rd platoon) along with 6pm-2am and 12am-8am (4th & 1st platoons ) for another five years, I loved working nights. Ok, maybe not the midnight tour so much, lol.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think there would be motion detectors, infrared cameras, or just something up there which rings an alarm when an unauthorized person is up on the roof.
Most security measures will be on/near ground level, as that's were the vast majority of threats come from. Unauthorized visitors don't usually land on the roof, but walk in a front or back door, and make their way up. Likewise, personnel that's meant to be on the roof, will have been cleared somewhere near the main entrance.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those who might not understand just why so many New Yorkers are absolutely furious over this, keep in mind this was not the first incident of a recent security breech. Back in September, a group of about four young individuals broke in to go B.A.S.E. jumping. They snuck in, and succeeded! (Give you one guess how they were caught. :ironic:)

Anyway, earlier this week the group was arraigned in court on charges stemming from that little stunt.

So yeah, security is an absolute joke in NYC. Even at places where the most jaded New Yorker would expect it to be taken seriously.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who might not understand just why so many New Yorkers are absolutely furious over this, keep in mind this was not the first incident of a recent security breech. Back in September, a group of about four young individuals broke in to go B.A.S.E. jumping. They snuck in, and succeeded! (Give you one guess how they were caught. :ironic:)

Anyway, earlier this week the group was arraigned in court on charges stemming from that little stunt.

So yeah, security is an absolute joke in NYC. Even at places where the most jaded New Yorker would expect it to be taken seriously.

Social media has made it easy for authorities to solve crimes that they never knew happened...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Social media has made it easy for authorities to solve crimes that they never knew happened...

Large police departments should just assign one detective to monitor sites like Facebook and youtube for new uploads.

My personal favorite still remains the guy who routinely posted vids. of himself and his stash of weed. Then posted pics. of his neighborhood. Then was actually surprised when two dudes showed up at his house, beat him up, shoved a gun in his face, and demanded his stash of high-grade weed. I bet he was wishing the cops had seen his vids., instead.

My personal favorite still remains the guy who routinely posted vids. of himself and his stash of weed. Then posted pics. of his neighborhood. Then was actually surprised when two dudes showed up at his house, beat him up, shoved a gun in his face, and demanded his stash of high-grade weed. I bet he was wishing the cops had seen his vids., instead.

Yes......well....that's one of the problems with smoking weed. :laughing: You get these great ideas. Oh wow Man, I'm gunna post this on YouTube.

~ Chance

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay, I can't believe that this is the type of Update I'm posting to my own topic....

Update:

Well, after the 16 year-old snuck in. Two CNN Producers, who should have fricking known better, decided to prove a point that security still wasn't taken seriously at the location. So, they decided they were going to sneak inside too! For some incredibly moronic reason (then again they do work for CNN) they decided to do it in broad daylight and with a full-sized video camera! Here are the rest of the details. The Producers are Yon Pomrenze and Connor Boals. They also had a Go pro with them. Making their way along the fence at the corner of Veser and Washington, they attempted to get in through a partially open gate, but were stopped from doing so. Deciding that there was a bit too much security that close to #1 World Trade, they then went further east and tried to enter by climbing a fence at the PATH station entrance right by West Broadway, twice! Stopped again, they decided not to show even a microscopic grain of intelligence by calling it quits.

No, they decided that if they went even further away by still heading east towards Church street; they'd be successful. Nope! They were wrong again. This time getting arrested when they tried to force their way in through a gate.

Unfortunately, I can't post the link to this news story because the place I found it at is glorifying the illegal activities of the dare devil B.A.S.E. jumpers mentioned earlier in this topic.