lumen power meter

lasertoole

Newly Enlightened
any ideas on a good or what type of lumen meter will work for checking flashlights? I notice a lot of units designed for photography but not sure id they will work

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like using photography light meters to measure lumens. If you calibrate to, and solve for shutter speed, you have your lumens conversion built right in. The 1/3 photography stops can be kinda wide increments but in practice, many meters register midpoints and so I feel are +/- 10% accurate. If you have EV numbers, there's a formula to convert them to lumens with 1/10-1/100 stop theoretical accuracy.

I've used DSLRs and free smartphone apps with good results - spend 5$ for a few plumbing elbows and you have fine lightbox too :).

pageyjim

Enlightened
I'm sure somebody will come in shortly with full and accurate information. In the meantime I will share what I have been doing. I have used camera light meters and I figured it could give somewhat relative ratings. For instance one full stop is twice or half the light etc. Later I got this meter that supposedly measures lux and footcandles.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A0ETXY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Now how accurate can it be for $30? I really just used it to give me relative results. I figue if it is wrong on one it will be relatively as wrong on the next light. There probably is a way to convert to lumens on this too, but I don't have that at hand. The best way will be to check out selfbuilt's reviews and he has a detailed accurate way of doing it in a sphere.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens is a measure of total light output, not just the brightness of the center of the beam. You need an integrating sphere to measure that.