updated-lanyards: how to tie? what knots? whipping?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: anyone ever try shock cord for a lanyard material?

I was looking at a couple of my lights last night and trying to decide about which lanyard to use. I have a few misc. lanyards around and while I really like the quality of the SureFire lanyards, they are just too long! I suppose it's just my ignorance and "non tactical" background, but they're just too long for my tastes.

So, I want to try my hand at making some wrist lanyards for some of my lights. But, I need some help. Not only do I need some practice material, but I need some pointers and photos on how to attach them with cool looking knots as well as which knots to tie, etc.

I am an Eagle Scout so I have tied a few knots in my time but it's been a while since I did anything buy tie my shoes.

So, any photos and clear instructions on the matter would be most appreciated.

UPDATE #2: Anyone have a good idea on how to attach a lanyard to those lights that don't have anything to attach to?
For Example:
-Brinkmann Legend LX
-Dorcy Spyder
-Maglite 2C/2D (NOT counting those belt loop holder things)
-Pelican M6
-Streamlight Scorpion

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Re: lanyards: how to tie? what knots? wrapping?

Here's a good page for knots.

Here's a page for the type of lanyards we've all made in grade school.

Warning-Don't do a Google search for "rope braiding' unless you're interested in bondage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

what knot is suggested for a nice looking tie-off for a loop of a lanyard?

If you use the gimp (I thought it was called boon doggle) for lanyards, doesn't it look kind of cheap? What if you used paracord and use the gimp pattern? Will that work?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

plasticy stuff used to make braided stuff...
go here for explanation and photos.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I think gimp is the plastic strips we used to get at hobby shops back in the 1950s. I liked the Square Stitch. Where can I buy gimp?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi ChrisM...

I`ve been making my lanyards with different types and colors of paracord, and have been tying them with the "hangman`s noose" made famous in knife circles by Chris Reeve.

You can see the knot and diagrams on how to tie it at the Chris Reeve website. It is an adjustable knot, and works great.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

The gimp today is not as nice as it used to be. The plastic coating used to contain string - now it's just plastic. I just bought some a few months ago with the intention of making lanyards for some of my lights, but they're pretty stiff and just not very comfortable.

The ones that I prefer, I make from "climbing" rope that I get from an outdoor sporting goods store. I got the two smallest sizes, 2mm and 3mm. The colors are nice, it's very durable, flexible, and relatively soft. Cut to length, burn the ends to seal, make your small loop and your large loop and wrap with whipping twine. I use split rings with them, but you can make it permanent by making your small loop through your flashlight ring and then finish with whipping twine.

The other thing that I do (just because I'm anal and want it to be perfect) is that when I cut to length and burn the ends, I connect the ends together and make one loop. I reheat and smooth the connection point so that it doesn't have any irregular shape that shows up when you wrap it with the whipping twine.

If I could ever take the time to figure out how to upload pics, I'd show you some. If it isn't your thing to make stuff like this, I'd be happy to do a couple for you after the holidays.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

kite...I'm definately interested in taking a look at some of your handiwork.
Could you email me the picts you have so I can get an idea to go along with your description?

I did come across the Chris Reeve knot and it definately has some great potential!

I also remember doing some gimping (boondoggling) when I was a kid. I just wonder what it would look like with paracord. I imagine it would be too fat.

Carpe - got any picts of stuff you've made?

I just picked up some OD green, white & black paracord at an Army/Navy store at lunch (who'd a thunk there would have been one here?!?) and might also get some different colors.

What have you guys done to attach a lanyard to a light such as a Brinkmann LX that doesn't have a hole for one or really any way of attaching even a keyring?

Avix

Newly Enlightened

we use crazy glue on paracord and "nylon" cords (anything you would use a flame to burn and seal), pick your spot, drip some glue on the spot you want, let dry for 30 seconds, cut clean through. avoids the black and the sticky ends that burn the heck out of your fingers. and I too would like tips to attach to a Brinkmann LX

and a bit OT, mini-maglight etc with a good connection on light end and a longish lanyard with a big split ring loose on the other end can make a good improv flail weapon. slip the second large split ring over the middle finger and you can really swing that sucker with a solid impact.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll have to try the crazy glue idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

neogoon

Newly Enlightened

I posted this in the arc forum....take a look at this link for something a little different.

CUTiger3

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
Here is the link to the Chris Reeve knot
http://chrisreeve.com/righthandcoilknot.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I used this knot when I changed the paracord on both of my Sebenza's and Umfaan. This knot is very easy to tie. Of course, now all my lights also have this lanyard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened

I just bought a dozen of these: for $.39 each and really like them. "Heavy duty nylon construction with swivel clip / Black only" Sure not the very best, but amazing for the price.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

how long are they?
how large is the clip?

too bad they have a $30 minimum order amount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

ACK! This almost non-flashlight related thread is really popular. My Moderator apologies for not catching it, and sliding it over to Cafe earlier.

--dan

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been making lanyards out of paracord for a few months now, using a variety of different knots depending on the application. I came up with some pretty interesting variations, but last night I discovered something new and different for lanyards (for me anyways).

Whipping twine. After seeing the whipping twine that Berkley Point sells on their website, I decided to order some, and give it a try. No instructions on how to use it, by google came through again. Whipping the ends of the paracord into a loop is much more compact than any knot, and appears to be very strong. I also put a small piece of clear heat shrink tubing over each section of whipping twine for a little extra protection.

I can make almost any length lanyard I want for about a dollar in material cost, although if I start to add the mini clips from Berkley Point, or other rings or accessories, the price naturally goes up.

-Keith