Angryfox        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thrunite TN35 (MT-G2, 3x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Enlightened

Default Re: Thrunite TN35 (MT-G2, 3x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    This night I brought with me TN35 for a walk outside the city to the forest. I also brought with me my purple Mag 2C with Malkoff 2C XP-G2 dropin and Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman. First I tried the 2C and was impressed with the great throw of this set up. TN35 has a much more floody pattern and it looked like the 950lm mode provides smilar throw as the 2C at 270lm. Also while TN35 has a clearly defined hotspot and corona when used indoors and against a wall, the beam pattern looks much smoother and floodier out in the field. With the 2C-Malkoff the area around the hotspot looks dark at distance, which is typhical for a thrower. But with TN35 everything is illuminated like a throwy wall of light. The control ring works great and makes it possible to easy increase and decrease the brightness with one hand operation.
    The body may be a bit on the thick side but works good for me with the knurling. I guess that persons with small hands can consider it too thick, however.
    Otherwise I have hard to find anything negative with TN35, this is a really great light.
    Thanks for the 'real world' information. What would you estimate the useful range of the TN35 to be, .25 lumen at 518m is the official spec, but that's not a lot of light. For example - do you get useful illumination of something say 200m away with a lot of flood?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Thrunite TN35 (MT-G2, 3x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by credo View Post
    Thanks for the 'real world' information. What would you estimate the useful range of the TN35 to be, .25 lumen at 518m is the official spec, but that's not a lot of light. For example - do you get useful illumination of something say 200m away with a lot of flood?
    I have not done a specific test at 200m distance, but in dark conditions I really think you get some useful illumination at that distance. I will report when I did it.

Enlightened

This may be more relevant to the Flashlight Electronics section, but can anyone recommend some 18650 batteries for this light? I've been trawling Amazon and as a newbie to Li-Ion batteries it's a little confusing, particularly as 18650's can be different sizes, and unprotected / protected! I don't want to spend £40.00 on batteries to find they don't fit. Getting a set of 18650's in readiness for a TN35 for my birthday...

This may be more relevant to the Flashlight Electronics section, but can anyone recommend some 18650 batteries for this light? I've been trawling Amazon and as a newbie to Li-Ion batteries it's a little confusing, particularly as 18650's can be different sizes, and unprotected / protected! I don't want to spend £40.00 on batteries to find they don't fit. Getting a set of 18650's in readiness for a TN35 for my birthday...
    I always recommend Eagletac branded 18650s. And to be safe as newbie always take protected-cells.

From my post #2 the temptation came 3500lm of mt gt

Its an awesome all round light,similar to what i call the tk75vn........a great all rounder,good feel in between mode selection,positive feel

Only issues were cells,my KeepPower 3100 protected were a no chance fit probably down to the carrier being beefed up

Next to an KP IMR2100 cell

Perfect fit on the modded carrier

Tried pany 3100 unprotected

KeepPower IMR 2100

So decided to stay with KP IMR for now even though its a 4.5A per cell ask on the tn35vn...........should be fine with the pany cells.

Cheers ven

Flashaholic*

I ordered 6x EagleTac 3400mAh for two rounds with TN35. Until now they work good.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Only issues were cells,my KeepPower 3100 protected were a no chance fit probably down to the carrier being beefed up
    Earlier I bought KeepPower 18500s but these cells are too thick for as well bored(Oveready) Surefire 9P and Malkoff MD3. So it's obvious that KeepPower cells are larger dimensioned than common Li-ions.

I ordered 6x EagleTac 3400mAh for two rounds with TN35. Until now they work good.

Earlier I bought KeepPower 18500s but these cells are too thick for as well bored(Oveready) Surefire 9P and Malkoff MD3. So it's obvious that KeepPower cells are larger dimensioned than common Li-ions.

Hi Swedpat,thanks for that.I believe the ET cells are of the shortest of the protected cells but not sure if they would trip or not.

Not compared(yet) my KPs to protected pany/nitecore/sanyo etc in size but they must be going on for 70mm .With the carrier being beefed up to with the cable it wont allow the spring coils to compress as much also.

Had a chat with vinh,he said the pany 3100 unprtected would be fine,but the IMR potentially better suited.At 3500lm its around 4.5A per cell ask so not too bad.

I went ahead and ordered some more KeepPower IMR2100 cells anyway,as need 4 for the mm15vn,so will use 3 in the tn35vn and have a spare.........for now as it will need a home

Enlightened

I'm still trying to source some suitable 18650's for this light. I read that the maximum cell length for a regular un-modded TN35 is 69mm. I've looked on eBay and Amazon and it seems almost impossible to find protected 18650's that are not over 69mm long. If someone can confirm the longest protected cells they have used in a TN35 that would help me a lot!

I am sure the eagletacs are one of the shortest 18650 protected cells and fit.

The pany etc are over 69mm..........iirc the ET are around 68mm

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I am sure the eagletacs are one of the shortest 18650 protected cells and fit.

The pany etc are over 69mm..........iirc the ET are around 68mm
    Every 18650 battery is 65mm, it's the protection that is so short on those Eagletac's. Cells used are the same length but there is quite some difference in length between those added protection-boards.

Enlightened

My research has told me that 18650 means 18mm diameter X 65mm length - but obviously the protection is the variable as ven says. I've found some reasonably priced Protected Eagletac 3400's so will most likely get those.

My research has told me that 18650 means 18mm diameter X 65mm length - but obviously the protection is the variable as ven says. I've found some reasonably priced Protected Eagletac 3400's so will most likely get those.

Correct just the same as 14500 for example,14mm wide and 50.0mm long.
    xtar have some 18700 cells(older versions iirc)at 70mm long.

Other option if long run times are not required would be IMR cells,these are around 65mm long

I think most lights these days should fit the Panasonic 18650 protected cells which are 68.9mm long. I just got an Eagletac MX25L3 and was concerned but they fit perfectly.

It is nice to know though what does and doesn't fit as it is an issue.

I couldn't find the specs for this light but someone 'read' that it will go to 69mm? If so then the Panasonic protected 3400mAh will fit. These are the NCR 18650 B cells and were specified as 68.9mm and I measured them to be this length when I got them.

I guess all this hassle is caused by capacity upgrades to these 18650 cells and whether they're unprotected or not? I heard a 4000mAh Panasonic is around the corner too.

Anyway, I'm relieved as Eagletac specified 68.5mm as the length for cells in my light and they still fitted.

Why do people buy unprotected cells by the way? I understand one reason is length...
    Last edited by InspectHerGadget; 05-09-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Every 18650 battery is 65mm, it's the protection that is so short on those Eagletac's. Cells used are the same length but there is quite some difference in length between those added protection-boards.
    Yes ,the pany I was referring too were protected at over 69mm.

Yes unprotected are 65mm ,sure ET are probably the safest /wisest choice overall if concerned about protected cells fitting .

In single cell lights I use unprotected in a good few,lights that require multi cell then on the "fussier" carriers I go for IMR cells.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectHerGadget View Post

Why do people buy unprotected cells by the way? I understand one reason is length...
    Several reasons I guess,mine on single cell lights no need (always recommend them to newbies to li ion cells though)
    Size as you said,no worry on fitting them.
    Cost too as cheaper
    Better performance without risk of tripping pcb(caution depending on light)

Less to go wrong....

I like to use IMR cells in high drain lights ,down side for some is run times as the capacity in general is lower .This does not effect me personally as top off my cells and don't run down .

The Panasonic PFs are a good option to at 10A rating and 2900mah .

Yes,some good cells now 4yrs on,KeepPower 30A IMR for example to name one high performance cell,same as the r20 iirc inside 2100mah
    These are what i feed my tn35vn
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...h-(Black)-2014

Enlightened

I have 3 Eagletac protected 3400's now, charged them up and they are at 4.17, 4.18 and 4.19v so looking good. Just need a TN35 to put them in now!

Enlightened

Well, I've done it, pulled the trigger on a TN35 from the Thrunite Store on Amazon. Used a £25.00 voucher I had so £94.95 in total. My D40A was my first proper high-end flashlight, I'm hoping the TN35 lives up to the hype and performs at another level! Delivery expected tomorrow / Friday...

The MG-T2 emitter is fabulous. A real winner.

Flashaholic*

Well, I've done it, pulled the trigger on a TN35 from the Thrunite Store on Amazon. Used a £25.00 voucher I had so £94.95 in total. My D40A was my first proper high-end flashlight, I'm hoping the TN35 lives up to the hype and performs at another level! Delivery expected tomorrow / Friday...
    I am looking forward to read your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by InspectHerGadget View Post
    The MG-T2 emitter is fabulous. A real winner.
    So true, it's awesome!

Enlightened

I am looking forward to read your opinion!
    I'm looking forward to giving it!

Congrats,its hard not to live up to the hype tbh,iirc the standard version is 2750lm or around that from 1 mtg2,gives a very nice tint imo and a nice control ring.

Only slight downside for me is the 3 cells,prefer it to be 4 but no doubt add a little bulk(no issue for me anyway) and would give longer run times......

Other than that its a great all round light,good throw,good flood so a useful light or a multi purpose light........

Having a holster even though its not what i class as high quality,it does the job and is a bonus of having a holster on a larger light that covers the head.

Enjoy it...........sure you will

Enlightened

It's not here yet, arriving tomorrow - and I'm away until Saturday! Never mind. Just re-reading ven's comment on the holster - apart from the obvious qualities of the light itself, I have to say the way the light is presented with a good protective holster, and in a really nice box have helped me in this decision. Add in the single emitter (2750 lumens from one LED is amazing!) and control ring and I was sold! I very nearly bough a TK75 but the MT-G2's tint and flood / throw combination swung it for me!
    Last edited by credo; 05-15-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Weather conditions have finally improved enough to start taking outdoor beamshots around here. To start, here is a comparison of the TN35 to the TN32 (XM-L2) and Eagletac SX25L3. Please note that the color balance of the MT-G2 shots are a little off, as I had automatic white balancing on (i.e., they are not consistent to the adjustment used for the cool white emitter).

As always, these are done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

The MT-G2 emitter does indeed provide much more of a "wall of light" effect, thanks to the larger emitter. But the deeper reflector of the TN35 build does allows the light to reach out to a good distance (i.e., as compared to the SX25L3, which is obviously struggling at this distance). This is an impressive throw showing for the TN35, which has about the same overall output as the SX25L3.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Thank you selfbuilt for the updated beam shots i do love the tint of the tn35vn mtg2.............fantastic!!! certainly a wall of light.

Cheers ven

that's not the Niwalker MM15!
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    that's not the Niwalker MM15!
    Correct its the tn35

Very unfortunately the mm15vn are missing in post,more have been sent to selfbuilt

Enlightened

I received my new TN35 yesterday. I don't have a lot to compare it to, I only have a Sunwayman D40A and an old Maglite 2D LED. I must say there are few things I have bought that have 'wowed' me as much as this light. The packaging, build quality and performance are just fabulous. By heck that is a deep reflector isn't it? Perfectly smooth with a perfectly centred huge MT-G2 LED and a crystal clear glass lens. Flawless anodising and graphics. It feels great in the hand, really quite hefty, and the control ring is really smooth and well dampened, no chance of accidental mode changes. Nice positive clicky switch.

I've not been able to test it in a large enough area yet to fully appreciate the output, but it's clearly very impressive shining it up my Mum's 20m garden, it's like daylight on L6. The D40A whilst obviously not a powerful does account for itself well at equivalent output (950lm vs 980lm). The MT-G2's tint does steal the show though, very natural colours in comparison to my cool white D40A. The TN35's strobe is quite evil and I would not like to be on the receiving end of it! The control ring is great in that it allows you to pre-select an output mode before turning on. For security purposes this is ideal as you can go to bed with the light set to L6 or Strobe and be assured that one press of the tailswitch and whatever is bothering you will be in trouble!

I bought this light based on my theory that a degree of flood and throw is more useful to me than 800m of pure throw, where I'd probably need binoculars to see what I was illuminating. This light is for general purpose / holidays / security / fun and is perfect in that role. I'd be happy to walk in any woods at midnight with this in my hand, I don't think much would escape my attention!

So for me - delighted - 10/10

Great feedback credo,thanks for sharing I await to use mine in anger yet,stretch its led hopefully a camping trip soon if time allows.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast