The CCC

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After several years of very little modding, and not even posting about any of it, I'm getting back into the scene. I've had lot's of cool parts for all kinds of projects laying around for years, and it's time to put 'em to use.

I like building unusual things that are fun, useful, and off the beaten path. It's been a long time since Mods that make you go hmmm (make sure to also read posts 12, and 24 :devil:), soooo...

I've got a tasty treat here. The Cool Chocolatey Cathode!

Yummayyy!!!

I've had this little, pocketable neon light that ran off 4 AAA's, which gave very little runtime as I found out during my two week power outage after Hurricane Sandy. The original shell also blocked a lot of the light from the tube. I was thinking how much nicer it would be to use AA's, plus have the ability to run from an alternate source, and have it all in a clear case that would allow much more light to get out, plus give a cool view of the inner workings. Then I remembered I had saved an empty Fererro Rocher container for just such an occasion!

Out came the tools, soldering iron, beer, etc... and voila! My second Chocolite!

Aside from the alternate power selector, everything is held in place with fairly strong velcro, and a couple chunks of stiff foam for the tube. No Glue. This way I can take everything out to replace the container if it ever gets damaged. Also gives a good excuse to eat more chocolate.

Replaced the crappy 5mm LED with a nicely binned Nichia GS. This can be used instead of the tube by flipping the silver side switch. Should run a nice, long time for those extended outages.

The DPDT switch allows for internal or external power. Haven't found a 5V - 6V AC adaptor laying around yet, so haven't decided which way to hook up polarity for the alternate power connector. I'm also going to make a barrel plug cable for it with alligator clips on the other end that can hook onto other 6V sources like a lantern battery. Portable Li-ion power packs are becoming more popular for emergency cell phone charging, etc., so I'll likely do a USB cable as well.

Pretty darn bright with the tube going!

Not too shabby with the Nichia either.

I've got a few more long-running, SHTF lights coming (including another one I'll be posting about today), plus a bunch of other mods in the works. Looking forward to getting back into the fun!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, PCC! I'm definitely diggin' this thing. Just gotta' make sure the PCC doesn't get near the CCC because of the chocolate. ;)

As I look to put the final tweaks on this, I just bumped my thread over in the Electronics section to ask if anyone forsees any problems running this circuit, that I guess was designed for batteries, from an AC adaptor.

If anyone can provide some insight, please let me know!