What do you need to power a cree xlamp 3590?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I'm new to moding, my experience of it ends with drop-ins. I was on crees website and found the cree xlamp 3590. All I want to do is mount the led to a chunk of aluminum and be able to turn it on with a few different modes. No idea what it takes to do that and depending on what it cost, it may be a while before I can afford to do it. I would like to be able to run it off 110v for Indoor use and a 12v system for us in remotelocations with my truck. Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I'm new to moding, my experience of it ends with drop-ins. I was on crees website and found the cree xlamp 3590. All I want to do is mount the led to a chunk of aluminum and be able to turn it on with a few different modes. No idea what it takes to do that and depending on what it cost, it may be a while before I can afford to do it. I would like to be able to run it off 110v for Indoor use and a 12v system for us in remotelocations with my truck. Thanks for any help in advance!
At least ~77V DC, up to 1.2A or so (90W!), says some quick Googling. In other words: some serious electronics, and/or a dedicated LED driver. A simple PC psu or a few wires / bits 'n pieces ain't gonna cut it.

For experimenting, a suitable transformer/rectifier/capacitor + series resistor could do, but beware that 77V DC is above what's considered "harmless low voltage". So even if that voltage came from batteries you could still electrocute yourself with it! :caution:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
In most cases the Taskled Hyperboost could run it at 1.2A. In rare cases or if trying to push beyond 1.2A, you could run into the Hyperboost's 80V output limit before hitting your target current. You'd also have to run the input voltage close to 20V or higher to keep the input current at the recommended 5A or less.

For AC power, a Meanwell HLG-120H-C1400 would do a good job. You could probably find others at Meanwell that would work. I didn't do a thorough search.

+1 on the high voltage warnings!

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically what I am picking up is that this isn't a task for a newbie. Sounds like I would be better off sticking with prebuilt lights or getting a modded light from one of the many modders out there, Thanks for the input but I believe I'm going to get more familar with drivers and such before I tackle this