Olight S10 ON/OFF switch question

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I have noticed that with some Olight S10's there are blue coloured ON/OFF buttons and some have a white coloured ON/OFF buttons.

Is there any difference between these two torches

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones with white buttons are the original model S10s. They have earlier generation XM-L emitters and an older user interface (UI) that lacks the double-click shortcut to max power.

The ones with blue buttons are the later model: the Olight S10 L2. They use later generation XM-L2 emitters so are slightly brighter. They also have an improved user interface that includes the double-click to max power shortcut. Basically, this is the version to buy.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Ok I thought the double click was to activate the Strobe function. I already have the S15 and S20 but been looking into getting the S10 as well.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
I have the blue button S10. The only issue, the lockout unlocks way too easily in my pocket. So I got the M10. It's got a rear clicky to turn it on, in addition to the side button, so there's no lockout issue. Longer, no moonlight level, but it's a slim side-clicky with a good lockout button, sort of. BTW, you CAN lock out the S10 by loosening the tail cap a bit. Nice light.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not unless you want a low-voltage indicator.

The S10 doesn't have a low voltage indicator light. I have an S10 with the white button (the non-L2 version). When the battery gets too low it just dies. There's no indicator light and no stepdown.

If you want a light with a low voltage indicator light try an XTAR WK42 or Sunwayman C20C.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S10 doesn't have a low voltage indicator light. I have an S10 with the white button (the non-L2 version). When the battery gets too low it just dies. There's no indicator light and no stepdown.

If you want a light with a low voltage indicator light try an XTAR WK42 or Olight C20C.

Drat, I stand corrected. But so do you, you meant Sunwayman C20C :)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I thought the double click was to activate the Strobe function.
It is - when the S10 is already on. When the S10(-L2 only!) is off, double click goes to high mode directly. Afaik, that last bit was one of the few differences between XM-L (white button) and the XM-L2 (blue button) versions.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hasn't the Olight S20 got low voltage indicator also there is a small red light on the switch when I turn it ON

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
How does the low voltage indicator work on the S20 what actually happens
Don't know about the S20. However, the M18 side clicky turns red when the voltage of an 18650 reaches 3.14 volts. I tried running down a couple of RCR123's to see what would happen. The PCB on one of the batteries tripped out without the button going red. I imagine the indicator is for 18650 batteries only.

Last edited:

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I have the blue button S10. The only issue, the lockout unlocks way too easily in my pocket. So I got the M10. It's got a rear clicky to turn it on, in addition to the side button, so there's no lockout issue. Longer, no moonlight level, but it's a slim side-clicky with a good lockout button, sort of. BTW, you CAN lock out the S10 by loosening the tail cap a bit. Nice light.
Try turning the clip to right next to the switch. It makes the switch easier to find and harder to accidentally activate.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Try turning the clip to right next to the switch. It makes the switch easier to find and harder to accidentally activate.

I have tried that solution. I have retired my S10. The bulge on the inside of the clip tears up my pants pockets. Last comment on the S10's "blue button". Take a look at the switch on the Zebralight SC600. You can tell that a good deal of thought went into its design.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
How does the low voltage indicator work on the S20 what actually happens

Beams008_zpse133687a.jpg

The switch turns red when the batteries capacity is critical low. On the picture is the new S20-L2 version.