NEW JETBEAM BC25 Special Edition

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Holy crap, didn't expect to see JetBeam coming out with anything. Looks like it might be a good back up light to throw in the bag for work. Only thing I'm worried about is how much of a step down do they have to get that 3 hour runtime?

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I think the step down will be around 350 lumen assuming they are based on 2600 mAh battery runtime.

TheVat26

Enlightened
I just got the "new" 800 lumen version. Don't even see the 800 on their site anymore.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam lighting.com shows the 800 & Jetbeamlight.com shows the new 960 (SE). Don't get it!!! Same company, right? Anyway, how do you like the 800?

TheVat26

Enlightened
I think I got a blemished one (800 lumen). The switch was very stiff (2 or 3x stiffer than a xt11 for example), the reflector had a heavy OP (even though the seller ensured me it was smooth; said he looked but obviously didn't), and the output on a full charged ET 18650 wasn't even as bright as my 580 lumen xt2c. A friend wanted it so I sold it to him cheap. Got another one and will test it out tonight or tomorrow.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Thinking about buying the SE, but waiting on others actual experiences. Looking forward to your view on your new one.

TheVat26

Enlightened
So I played around with my "new" 800 lumen version and its not bad. Per the specs and relative close reflector size to the XT11 820, I'd assume they'd be almost the same. The XT11 has a little more intense hotspot and spill. The XT11 also throws a bit farther.

My BC25 again came with a heavy OP reflector, and I'm ok with it. For indoor room clearing, I think the BC25 is a little easier on the eyes. It has plenty if spill, and the heavy OP really does smoothen the beam a bit cleaner than the XT11. At distance, the BC25 will hit 100 yards no problem, and there isn't as much bluish haze at distance that I'd thought it would do. The switch isn't as smooth, responsive, or as light as the XT11, but it will work. The mode switching is very smooth and plenty easy to activate. I don't personally need or want anodized tailcap threads. A slight twist is all that's needed to lock out the light. Not that this is a bad thing, but to change the modes, you must ensure you hold the body real well or else if you hold the light in the mid body with half of your hand on the body+switch and twist the head, the light may turn off. What I mean is that the head threads are not slippery and the resistance may be stiff enough that the twisting pressure is more to turn the head than the tailcap. Hope that makes sense.

All in all, I love it's tactical simplicity. You can use momentary or constant on, and you can start the light in high or low before turn on. Same UI as my MD2 (not in the same ballpark as build quality of course) and Et T200C2. I got it for $31 on Amazon (Andrew and Amanda). For the money, it looks like one of the best, if not the best bang for the buck for a tactical light. Btw, I was able to use the tailca from my Solarforce L2P (close to the tailcap on the MD2) and prefer it greatly to the stock jetbeam tailcap and switch. With the Solarforce tailcap, the switch pressure is a lot less, and not hand slide if your hand is wet. But the Solarforce tailcap did not work on my friends BC25. So keep that in mind if that interests you. I'm awaiting the review on the SE, so someone please post your impressions of that one.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on jetbeam's track record, how long you guys guess the special edition will be good for with head tightened, before stepping down?

What about your 800l version in that respect vat? Agree with simplicity, love two mode preselectability.

TheVat26

Enlightened
I don't have my box lying around, but I think the stepdown time is the same as the older version. Five minutes I believe. I haven't run it in that long if a period to notice the stepdown yet so I can't comment on the brightness perception. It shouldn't be that bad, I'd guess around 500?

My my only complaint, although minor, is that the pocket clip lip rests close to the head so it might be a bit difficult when placing in a pocket as the clearence is small. Not bad and I can put it in if I hold the pant pocket stiff. As I mentioned earlier, the 800 lumens did not seem as close as the 820 lumen xt11, but it is still plenty bright. The build quality seems good enough and the interface really is simple. The 100 lumen low mode is a good level for general use. Has the right amount of light to light indoors, but too much of course for up close stuff like reading.

At first turn on in high, the tint seems a bit purple, but after a few seconds my eyes see a white tint. It's not neutral but comes off more white than the xt11. Good for me as I'm shying away from bluish/purple tints. The BC25 has pretty good color rendition making a good choice for interior searching.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^I like it too. They show two different versions on their website. Both are good, just curious which tailcap it will actually ship with:

2w6hz12.jpg

2nkq6c7.jpg

I don't have my box lying around, but I think the stepdown time is the same as the older version. Five minutes I believe. I haven't run it in that long if a period to notice the stepdown yet so I can't comment on the brightness perception. It shouldn't be that bad, I'd guess around 500?

My my only complaint, although minor, is that the pocket clip lip rests close to the head so it might be a bit difficult when placing in a pocket as the clearence is small. Not bad and I can put it in if I hold the pant pocket stiff. As I mentioned earlier, the 800 lumens did not seem as close as the 820 lumen xt11, but it is still plenty bright. The build quality seems good enough and the interface really is simple. The 100 lumen low mode is a good level for general use. Has the right amount of light to light indoors, but too much of course for up close stuff like reading.

At first turn on in high, the tint seems a bit purple, but after a few seconds my eyes see a white tint. It's not neutral but comes off more white than the xt11. Good for me as I'm shying away from bluish/purple tints. The BC25 has pretty good color rendition making a good choice for interior searching.

Not bad, thanks.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Still haven't got my SE; on back order. Wondering what 18650 battery you guys would recommend? If important, my charger is a Pila; never used 18650's before & I know their dimensions vary.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Anyone? Can someone please tell me a good 18650 to use in a BC-25. All I've ever used are a couple SF123A's in my current BC-25. It's confusing for this 75 yr. old fart! Flat tops, button tops, protected/unprotected, varying length/diameters, etc. The only re-chargeables I've ever used are AW 16340's in my single cell lights! I'm sure there are some Jetbeam BC-25 owners out there; what works best for you? Thanks

kj2

Flashaholic
Anyone? Can someone please tell me a good 18650 to use in a BC-25. All I've ever used are a couple SF123A's in my current BC-25. It's confusing for this 75 yr. old fart! Flat tops, button tops, protected/unprotected, varying length/diameters, etc. The only re-chargeables I've ever used are AW 16340's in my single cell lights! I'm sure there are some Jetbeam BC-25 owners out there; what works best for you? Thanks
I always recommend Eagletac 18650"s :)
Those have a slightly raised button, and are one of the shortest around.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Got my new BC25SE and happy with it. Not significantly better thrower than my old 650 lumen; guess I was expecting too much going up to 960 lumen! I'm not an expert, just judging with my 75 yr. old eyes!!! Very nice light though.