Operation Enlightenment!***CLOSED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
My name is Bryan and I just joined the forum today. Im deployed at a remote airfield in IRAQ. I came over here with an Inova X5 and a Brinkman LX. (I think thats what they are called.)Since there is no base power and no street/hangar lights. We rely on portable means of light. I work nights and the 2 lights I had were doing "ok". Before I found this web site I researched for days and finally deceided on the Streamlight TL-3. It arrived yesterday and I am WAY impressed. I can look into abandoned hangars from the taxiway without turning my vehicle highbeams into the hangar. I can see into any dark crevices from dozens of yards away.(Even spider holes...Hmmm?)After finding this site I realized I had made a good choice for a small bright handheld light. Fits in my pocket and is easily stored under my pillow without discomfort to my head. I just ordered two more lights tonight from pocketlights.com. They were the NewBeam LED Module for Mini-Mag and the Streamlight Twin-Task 2L. I think I might be turning into a flashlight junkie. Thanks for listening. Great web site.
-Bryan

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: 1st post: Just got my TL-3 here in IRAQ. Thank

Welcome to CPF and you picked a heck of a light to get started with. The TT2L and Newbeam are also good choices. I think you better also order a few boxes of CR123A batteries if you don't already have a supply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

paulr

Flashaholic

There's really no base power at all? No generators or anything? Wow. Maybe you want to get some AA powered lights with NiMH cells and a solar charger.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Bryan, welcome, and thank you for your service. I don't have a TL-3 but have considered it so it's good to see some feedback concerning use in a less than ideal environment. It sounds like you are definitely in the right company here at CPF now lock your wallet in an empty ammo box and bury it in the desert or you'll soon be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif! Someone is sure to come along soon and try to sell you on a Surefire L6 or L5!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Tell all over there with you to take care and Happy Holidays!!

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

We have generators. It just that there are only lights where there are specific areas of operations. Everyplace in between, or any place that isnt being used, is pitch black. Dirt roads are marked with dirt covered orange cones that indicate an intersection.
-Bryan

paulr

Flashaholic

If you have generators maybe you really want to get a rechargeable light or two (Streamlight Polystinger or whatever). No sense going broke on batteries.

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
Someone is sure to come along soon and try to sell you on a Surefire L6 or L5!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...I want a Surefire but they are so expensive. I may breakdown and get an L6 someday.....soon?
-Bryan

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If you have generators maybe you really want to get a rechargeable light or two (Streamlight Polystinger or whatever). No sense going broke on batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]
As you can see I have power, internet, and email. (Shhh...Airforce has it too good.) I was debating between the TL-3 and the UltraStinger rechargable. I didnt know if 75,000 candlepower or 200 lumens was brighter so I went with the more portable one. But as Im starting to learn in the horrible place... One can never have too many flashlights.
-bryan

paulr

Flashaholic

The Ultrastinger is a big heavy light but should be brighter than the TL3. The Polystinger is a little less bright than the TL3 but is reasonably sized and has a handy drop-in charger (you probably want the version that comes with both the fast charger and the 12 volt vehicle charger). If you want something cheap, get a Princeton Tec Tec40 or Surge and run it on AA NiMH.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Greengoose said:
I know...I want a Surefire but they are so expensive. I may breakdown and get an L6 someday.....soon?
-Bryan

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I don't have one yet either (must resssissst, must resssiiisssttt!!), I am too broke from knife and previous flashlight purchases! Do you all have adequate supplies of 123's and AA's where you are?

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Greengoose said:
-Bryan

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I don't have one yet either (must resssissst, must resssiiisssttt!!), I am too broke from knife and previous flashlight purchases! Do you all have adequate supplies of 123's and AA's where you are?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no 123's anywhere. I have 8 batteries left and 15 more on the way. We can get all of the normal size (aaa,aa,c,d) but the PX charges medium high prices. Plus I like having what everyone else doesn't have. EVERYONE has the 2 AA mag lights and the cheap "L" shaped military issue $5 flashlights. Does anyone make a mod for the forementioned flashlight? (Not the mag light...i ordered one of those for myself.)
-bryan

paulr

Flashaholic

There's both a Surefire cult and a smaller anti-Surefire cult here, so read everything skeptically /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. However one of the big Surefire experts says the L6 isn't worth it, that the L5 has almost as much throw and is smaller and costs a lot less. He had both an L5 and L6 and sold the L6 and likes the L5. Personally I'm more interested in the L4 (shorter range, wider beam) than the L5 or L6. I'd use it for shorter range purposes and use a TL3 or Stinger/Ultrastinger or whatever for when more reach is needed.

paulr

Flashaholic

You mean a mod for the Anglehead? I don't know about a mod, but Wayne J. sells a complete modded version called the Anglelux. It uses a regulated 1-watt Luxeon and can run for something like 24 hours at full brightness on a pair of D cells. See www.elektrolumens.com for more info. Personally I find those angleheads way too heavy, but people who have the Anglelux all seem to love it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan,
I was in Iraq earlier this year on an Army post and noted no A/C, power or lights in the living areas. This AF medic brought 4 LED flashlights with him and I learned what works and what does not.
Everyone had a 2AA minimag with them but mine ran a Badboy 500mA regulator through a Luxeon LED at around 1.7 watts. It worked very well but ate batteries at the rate of two every two hours. Great light and I now have one that punches out much more light and with different optics, throws very well.
What I would of killed for is a single 5mm white LED AA flashlight that is waterproof. The typical walk across the camp in the dark to get a shower light. I picked up an Arc AA ($35) to fill that need and I will wear it around my neck in the shower so it will not "walk away". CMG Infinity Ultras are basically the same thing for $15 to $18 and will run for 11 hours on a single AA battery. Also good for reading in the tent or for midnight bathroom runs.
The other light that I wanted and have since purchased is the Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D. Basically, the military Anglehead MX-991/U with a voltage regulator, Luxeon 1.25 watt white LED and Fraen optics stuffed inside. It puts out a very white, very bright light and runs for over 24 hours on 2D cells until it falls out of regulation. Then it will be dim for the next 3 to 6 days.
To have the ultimate Anglehead would involve the EverLED Luxeon 1.25 watt based replacement "bulbs". They look sort of like bulbs and are a direct replacement for the stock crap bulb. They use a side emitter Luxeon LED that throws the white light sideways so it can bounce off the stock reflector. Inside the "bulb" is a voltage regulator with the LED on top. The white will run for 28 hours and the red 30+ hours on 2 D cells.
The EverLEDs come in white and 5 other colors, the one color to interest you would be the red version. Get the red and white, throw the red in the spare bulb holder so if you go to blackout, you can change the color by swapping the EverLEDs. I plan on getting another Anglehead and putting a red EverLEDs into it for blackout purposes. Here is the link to the EverLED

http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html

The EverLEDs are not cheap at $40 each but you will get 5 times the run time of the stock bulb, it will not break and is brighter and whiter. Make sure your modified MX-991/U does not "walk away"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
Good luck and stay safe in the sandbox, keep us posted on how your lights and life work out. If I get sent out that way, I will look for the guy that gives off that distinctive Luxeon beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Maybe a good fit for the A2?
Lots of low power time, with the ability to have a nice bright light.

paulr

Flashaholic

Benthead, do you really think the anglehead with an Everled is better than an Anglelux? I never was too impressed with the Everled.

I agree that a low powered 1AA light (Arc AA, CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra/Ultra-G) is another very worthwhile light. I actually like the regular Infinity a lot, it's dimmer than the Ultra but the battery lasts even longer. The red-LED version is extremely unobtrusive too. And they are cheap. Batterystation sells them for $12 each to CPF members. I have a red one and a white one.

alberto

Enlightened

Bryan:

First of all, thanks for serving your country. If it weren't for people like you, I don't know where we would be.

I recommend that you consider the Surefire L4 and try to solve the battery supply problem somehow. When you pack the power of two D cells into a smaller single 123 cell, it's just got to be better.

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:

To have the ultimate Anglehead would involve the EverLED Luxeon 1.25 watt based replacement "bulbs". They look sort of like bulbs and are a direct replacement for the stock crap bulb. They use a side emitter Luxeon LED that throws the white light sideways so it can bounce off the stock reflector. Inside the "bulb" is a voltage regulator with the LED on top. The white will run for 28 hours and the red 30+ hours on 2 D cells.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Even a rich man can go broke hanging in a place like this. I would love to get one of these just for bragging rights.
-bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.