Nitecore SRT series

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So I've been thinking of getting one of these but I have been holding off cuz of the price and I don't really need the red and blue but I really like the rotary system. I'm trying to decide between the 3 or 5 right now. I don't like that the 5 takes 18650's so to save cost and stuff the 3 is a 1" diameter too so I might as well go with the 5 but nitecore says I need a button top? So non of my AW 18650's will work? Has anybody tried one? cuz then I should go with the SRT3. Is the body wall on the SRT3 thicker or will it take 18500's?

What do you guys think? Have a lot of people got these yet? My local REI has then and I have a 20% off member coupon, its either guna be a light or knife haha.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
The SRT-3 takes 14500's not 18500's just fine and I bought mine because it'll take any AA cr123 and 14500 I can throw at it. I have plenty of 18650-CR123 lights. I wanted a pocket backup/EDC light I could feed it on the go or from my gobag for storm duty

Charles L.

Enlightened
SRT3 also takes longer/wider 14500's, like the Keeppower 840mAh version that doesn't fit in any of my other AA/14500 lights. With the variable control ring it gets a bit long in its AA/14500 state, so I prefer to use it with CR123's. The ring is great, with indents at both min and max ouput so you can be reasonably certain of your starting point when you turn the light on. I could do without the red/blue lights, and I wish it either were shorter or would accept 18650's at its current length -- but the ring adds length, so you gotta take the good with the bad. For indoor use and for short outside applications, this is one of my favorite lights.

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
I own the SRT5 and my flat tops wouldn't work. It's a domestic brand from the Netherlands derived from panasonic 18650's. For this light I ended up getting the button-tops from EagleTac which work fine.
It's a nice light, I really like the adjustment ring. Personally I could do without the red/blue and stroboscoop settings, but it's not really a big minus.
The different ring settings are well spaced and you can by simply turning get a decent idea on what to expect when you turn the light on (both which mode or how bright).
I ended up taking the 5 over 3 for longer runtimes and better brightness. Love how the 3 just about eats anything you put in it though.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
SRT3 also takes longer/wider 14500's, like the Keeppower 840mAh version that doesn't fit in any of my other AA/14500 lights. With the variable control ring it gets a bit long in its AA/14500 state, so I prefer to use it with CR123's. The ring is great, with indents at both min and max ouput so you can be reasonably certain of your starting point when you turn the light on. I could do without the red/blue lights, and I wish it either were shorter or would accept 18650's at its current length -- but the ring adds length, so you gotta take the good with the bad. For indoor use and for short outside applications, this is one of my favorite lights.
So then the walls must be thicker compared to the SRT5, I might get it bored for 17500's, I like the larger cells in the high drain turbo mode lights.

I own the SRT5 and my flat tops wouldn't work. It's a domestic brand from the Netherlands derived from panasonic 18650's. For this light I ended up getting the button-tops from EagleTac which work fine.
It's a nice light, I really like the adjustment ring. Personally I could do without the red/blue and stroboscoop settings, but it's not really a big minus.
The different ring settings are well spaced and you can by simply turning get a decent idea on what to expect when you turn the light on (both which mode or how bright).
I ended up taking the 5 over 3 for longer runtimes and better brightness. Love how the 3 just about eats anything you put in it though.
Lame I guess SRT3 it is, its the cheap way they integrated there revers polarity protection. I have 3 AW 2900, 3 3100 and 3 3400mah 18650's so I don't need to be buying more lol