#1 Brand of Flashlights ?

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
Hi ,
As a newcomer to this hobby, i have so far collected two surefire lights. Which i am thrilled with. However i would like to know what other brands i should be looking at, and can they compare to my 6P and E2. Thanks for your time Pete

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say look at Streamlight. Their TL-2 is about halfway between the 6P and E2 in size, and is about the same brightness. It doesn't have the lockout tailcap, but has the nice feature of a spare bulb inside the light, and the bulbs are much cheaper than Surefire bulbs. I just bought a TL-3 (the 3 cell version, sort of like a Surefire 9P) and it's amazing. Also you probably want to try out some LED lights like the Surefire L4.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will blindly stick my vulnerable body into the face of a hurricane, and suggest that Streamlight, with it's excellent rechargeables, the Twin-Task line, Night Fighter line, Tactical Light Xenon, and LED lights, Task Light LED, and the standby old Scorpion has become a major player in the industry.

You cannot forget Pelican, Princeton Tec, and ARC of course. CMG makes good lights, and I will let others chime in.

machulu

Newly Enlightened
You really have to determine what you personally regard as being number. For practical use, I'd give the nod to Streamlight because of a combination of performance and price. Surefire is number one for tactical flashlights and pushing new technology. Maglights are number one as far as market share and sales is concerned. There is no definate answer to this.

~Stephen

mporter

Newly Enlightened
For an EDC (every day carry) light, take a look at the Arc LS. I have quite a few Surefires now but my Arc is the one that's always in my pocket. Arc is a great company with excellent customer service. The owner seems to have dedicated his life to creating the best EDC lights in the world. I think he's succeeding. There's a whole forum here on CPF about Arc flashlights.

paulr

Flashaholic
Arc flashlights are great but at the moment they have nothing comparable to the 6P or E2e, which was the specific question. They specialize in LED lights but currently have no 5 watters. They have an LS5 in the works though, which should beat the L4 in a number of ways. And their Arc AAA is a must-have keychain light for any flashaholic.

The Streamlight Twin Tasks are an excellent value but while serviceable their design is flawed. The Surefire A2 is a much better light of that type if you don't mind the A2's far higher price tag.

I've begun to think the most practical incandescent light for people who use flashlights a lot is the Streamlight Polystinger. I don't have one yet but it's on my list. It's a rechargeable light roughly comparable to the Surefire 6P in brightness and while larger than the 6P, it's still pocketable. It's available with both a 2.5 hour AC charger and a 12 volt vehicle charger. No having to remove the batteries to recharge. Just pop the light in the charger and pop it out when you're ready to use it.

N710

Newly Enlightened
While I am a newbie to this forum I am no newbie to the flashlights.

For performance at a decent price UKE and Pelican lights are hard to beat. Princton Tech is also doing well in this catagory.

The lithium powered Streamlights are great and the new Surefires the E2e,E1e,L4,L5,L6 ect are expensive but worth every penny!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my mind, there are only two companies that make lights for convienient carry. ARC and Surefire, there are also some fine mods out there. If something a little larger in on order, Elecktrolumens is supposed to be good. If really large is ok...well thats different.

In my opinion, Surefire and ARC are very different lights and work together well as a pair. No sence in having two lights for the same exact job.

I used to carry a Surefire and two ARC's on me at all times.
I know carry a Surefire, an ARC, and a Custom built. All with a different job in mind.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Pete,

Welcome to CPF.

While not an EDC, I have a TigerLight always close by and have been quite pleased with its performance.

You might do a search on it and check it out.

Tom

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most highly regarded brand I know of would probably be Surefire. But if you walk into a random group and say "hey, I got a Surefire"...most would just give you a blank stare...maybe ask if it`s a cig lighter.

On the other hand the same group would probably go approvingly, mmm...aww...nice...and wow...if you said you had a Maglight.

It`s this damm forum that has warped our ability to enjoy ignorant bliss.

Ken

ibewno3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for the feedback guys, I think i am going to continue with the SUREFIRE brand for a while, and do my homework to see what ARC has out there. Thanks Pete

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
From my opinion Streamlight score better in brightness (2 cr123a type) and it's better design (focusable and spare bulb). Surefire is good in their finishing touch and that's about all I like about Surefire.