Wal-Mart: 2014 spring selection of new flashlights.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
The CPF bug got me again as I pasted the flashlight section...Ended up purchasing the New Coast HP 7 series flashlight for 39.00. According to the packaging it's output has been jumped from 251Lms to 360Lm/50lm low, with high runtime of about 1hr 45min, and low for about 2hrs. Takes 4aaa's, with a lifetime warranty. So, I test it out against the Home depot coast px25 rated at 212 Lms. Defiantly, brighter..Note:pictures attached...
byhy4u5a.jpg
7udutu5e.jpg
zy7uhade.jpg

groutboy_1

Enlightened
The CPF bug got me again as I pasted the flashlight section...Ended up purchasing the New Coast HP 7 series flashlight for 39.00. According to the packaging it's output has been jumped from 251Lms to 360Lm/50lm low, with high runtime of about 1hr 45min, and low for about 2hrs. Takes 4aaa's, with a lifetime warranty. So, I test it out against the Home depot coast px25 rated at 212 Lms. Defiantly, brighter..Note: Pictures attached 1.) Side by side, Lumapower D mini vx2 xml-310Lms, Coast px25 home depot type, New wally-world Coast Hp7..2.) Side by side beamshots: Lumapower vx2 d mini vs coast px25 at 212lms vs New Hp7 at 360LMS- which is need very bright but a bit of yellow/ Tan/greenish, but bright...Maybe someone will get that cool led!? 12ft kitchen...3.) Another comparison beamshots...same lights....
byhy4u5a.jpg
7udutu5e.jpg
zy7uhade.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Nice job!

Can you go outside tonight and try some at distances?

:D

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Yeah, sure tee j...I give it a test run before the night shift...I believe it may go the distance...Tint is a little annoying. ...but it's bright, with a large but decent focused hotspot....It should have some range....

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 251 lumen version of this light and I like it, however, it dims after it is on high after a few minutes very noticably. It does this even after I put in 4 freshly charged NIMH cells in it. Have you tried rechargeables in yours, or are you using alkalines? I have not tested it with alkalines because I normally do not use them in my good lights. I also saw this at Walmart, but I just do not like AAA cells. They just do not have the capacity to put out that many lumens for any period of time. I have stopped buying these types of lights because of this setup. I think the HP 7 is a really nice light otherwise!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Can you label those three beam shots?

Yes, I was in Walmart today and stopped by the flashlight section. Of note, there were a number of multiple cell (4, 6, or 8 cell) AA lights on the rack by different manufacturers - coleman, Ozark Trail, Brushnell, and Coast come to mind. There were even two usb port rechargeables $50, and $70 each. They probably housed an 18650 battery.

These might be considered low-end lights that are of decent quality. I wonder if they will serve to drive the price of higher end lights down, or will the higher price lights justify higher prices for these lower end lights? Also, I dislike that for the most part they are more throwers than flooders. I guess high lumens and long distance means more to the average joe than a more floody (all around) light which would have a shorter throw.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Can you label those three beam shots?

Yes, I was in Walmart today and stopped by the flashlight section. Of note, there were a number of multiple cell (4, 6, or 8 cell) AA lights on the rack by different manufacturers - coleman, Ozark Trail, Brushnell, and Coast come to mind. There were even two usb port rechargeables $50, and $70 each. They probably housed an 18650 battery.

These might be considered low-end lights that are of decent quality. I wonder if they will serve to drive the price of higher end lights down, or will the higher price lights justify higher prices for these lower end lights? Also, I dislike that for the most part they are more throwers than flooders. I guess high lumens and long distance means more to the average joe than a more floody (all around) light which would have a shorter throw.

Hey@ Poppy, Actually I checked all those flashlights ANSI charts, and most were flooders...The Bushnells in the 2aa had only Throw ranges of 108m on the packaging. Probably simalar to the Coleman 2aa 200lm light >(re: like updated versions of a poorman's SF L9. Remember that Surefire 5watt-65Lm wall of light that everyone was paying $200.00 several years ago! )< The only ones I saw that had long throw listed on the package was this one, the Ozark med range light at 612 lm-range 289m, and 2 others larger lights all listing 200m. The rest just stated 100m ranges...I was contaminated by a short term CPF bug..I was in the mode for a high Lumen throw light...Maybe I should have "thrown" in for a Powertac E6-or a Armytek predator at 600lm to satisfy my CPF cravings! But someone I guess has to take shot at the Wally-world lights...

Last edited:

groutboy_1

Enlightened
@Poppy, The middle beamshots photo was Left to right: Lumapower D mini vx2 xml with single 123a running at about 300-310Lm on Max, 2nd light-Coast px25 at about 212lms high in tight focus, and on the right. Coast Hp7 on high at 360lms tight focus....Last set of beamshots. Near ceiling: offset Lumapower d mini vx2 on max, middle-Hp7 on Max, tight focus- shifted holding 3 lights, lastly-px25...

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Yes...And coast has 2 other larger lights...629lm, and 1200lm HP 14, etc...as well as the Ozark trail rechargeable....plus , Maglite. I believe My brother said one of the local targets within our area carries the newer maglights pro lights.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Yeah, the Bushnell lights have a cool sci-fi military look. But the 125lm 1aa, and the 2aa appear to be flooders. All about 100m max range....

Poppy

Flashaholic
It's a shame that they don't have samples to test before buying. Honestly I didn't spend much time there, just a quick look at some of the reflectors, I guessed they were throwers. Next time, I should do a better analysis, before putting my fingers to the keyboard. :eek:

At any rate, I am glad to see that joe public is getting a broader choice of LED lights to choose, ones that are better in some ways than the typical 2D cell lights that can be had for less than $5.

wedlpine

Enlightened
For some reason the new Ozark Trail rechargeable lights are now using a full size USB plug and not the Micro USB found on the 750 lumen model. I liked the fact that I could use the same cable for my phone and light without using an adaptor of any sort.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
@wedlpine, actually the medium, and large Ozark trail lights had INFO blurbs on the packaging. Both noted they came with standard USB charging ports, and could be used to power cellphones,mp3 devices,etc.