Fenix E05 variations

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a couple of new E05's which appear slightly different to ones I bought about a year ago.
First difference I noticed is that the new ones appear to have a removable bezel (head can screw apart into two pieces?) and on the driver there is no raised gold terminals or black plastic ring.
When I put a battery in and tested it against my old ones I noticed a much nicer tint in the new ones, checked the serial numbers on the Fenix site and the new ones are XPE R3, old ones are R4.
Not sure what tint bin they are or if the new ones are actually older stock than my "old" ones.
Anyway, I love the E05 and just found the differences in construction and tints interesting.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick update.
I just checked the second of the two new ones I bought which has the same differences in the head design and R3 but it doesn't have the nice neutral tint, it's more slightly green like my old one so it must have been luck of the draw.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to worry as you have a nice little key fob light regardless.

Exactly.
I originally bought a black one and liked it so much that I put a small lanyard on it to use it with rather than knocking around on my keys, I then bought my girlfriend a purple one.
Tried other AAA lights on my key chain that are good, Sunwayman R01A, but the E05 is pretty much perfect so out of the two new ones I bought I have a blue one with perfect neutral tint on my keys and another to be gifted.
Still love my original black one, not as nice tint but slightly larger beam than my blue one and makes a great micro edc on a lanyard for ease of use.
The beam, tint and high mode are great on the Sunwayman but the E05 is the best design and compromise of brightness and beam shape I've seen. I think it'll hold up better over time than the R01A.

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
I love my older E05. It has a nice cream/white tint & perfect flood. One thing to be aware of is that when the battery gets to a certain level it goes pure dead as in no light at all. No moon mode even so, beware if your using it for emergency's.

Latest posts