Small UV Light for many purposes? I've narrowed it down to two I think!

treasurehunter303

Newly Enlightened
I need a very small but strong UV light preferably 375nm for a wide range of things. I currently have the Photon Micro Purple and Micro UV but I find myself using them so much I think its time to upgrade if possible. The Photons Micros are awesome but I find myself wanting a little more power. I am 99.7% sure that I'm going to get either the Arc-AAA UV or the Proton Pro UV.

It will be used at garage and estate sales for things like identifying paintings, finding uranium glass and diamond florescence. Most of the time in a lit room too. I will be carrying it in my pocket a lot so any bigger than the proton pro wouldn't work for me unfortunately. I also would use it every now and then for pet stains and maybe to help clean my bathroom.

So which should I choose to upgrade with... Arc UV or Proton pro UV? (My main concern about the Arc is that it won't be that much stronger than the Photon Micro UV).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been considering a small UV light as well for checking uranium glass.Currently I have an older INOVA X1 that works OK but it is nice to have more output and a lower wavelength sometimes.My INOVA X5 UV is excellent and provides a better wavelength but is not as convenient to carry due to the larger size. Of the two you mentioned the Proton PRO would will probably offer what you want,I have been considering it myself but as yet do not have one. I doubt the ARC will give you the output you desire with just a 5MM LED. I typically try to find a shaded or darker area even when using the X5 UV in a well lit store/area.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have been considering a small UV light as well for checking uranium glass.Currently I have an older INOVA X1 that works OK but it is nice to have more output and a lower wavelength sometimes.My INOVA X5 UV is excellent and provides a better wavelength but is not as convenient to carry due to the larger size. Of the two you mentioned the Proton PRO would will probably offer what you want,I have been considering it myself but as yet do not have one. I doubt the ARC will give you the output you desire with just a 5MM LED. I typically try to find a shaded or darker area even when using the X5 UV in a well lit store/area.

The Inova X5 UV was one of my earliest UV LED lights, and they are built like tanks.......but, its limited to ~ 390 nm and, its output is very anemic compared to some of what's out there now a days.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
(My main concern about the Arc is that it won't be that much stronger than the Photon Micro UV).

Nope, it isn't although I think the Arc is closer to 375 than the Photon Micro.

Considered a 365nm UV? Tank TK566 UV is an AA powered one but don't expect it to work too well in a lit room. It says 1W but to the LED, it is probably around 0.3W.

treasurehunter303

Newly Enlightened
Nope, it isn't although I think the Arc is closer to 375 than the Photon Micro.

Considered a 365nm UV? Tank TK566 UV is an AA powered one but don't expect it to work too well in a lit room. It says 1W but to the LED, it is probably around 0.3W.
I was looking at the Tank but in the reviews I read it seemed like a lot of people were wishing they got the extended two AA 3W version but that one is a bit to big for what I'm looking for unfortunately.

treasurehunter303

Newly Enlightened
from what I know so far...
Arc uses the Nichia NSPU510CS so its stats are
-375nm
-10mW
-40 degree view angle

The Photon Micro is supposedly 370nm. Does anyone know if it uses the same NSPU510CS led as the Arc? I'm wondering how many mW it is as well as the view angle.

I also know that the Proton Pro UV is stated to be 120mW. Does anyone know the view angle and also what the beam is like compared to say a 3W UV p60 drop in or the Tank 566 1W and 3W versions?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Tank but in the reviews I read it seemed like a lot of people were wishing they got the extended two AA 3W version but that one is a bit to big for what I'm looking for unfortunately.

1 AA is probably enough. When compared to the 5mm led ones, you easily point it to the ground on an angle and it will light things up well enough. I too am waiting for the extension tube but only have the 1W. The 3W supposedly has two emitters under the dome like the P60.

The 365nm P60 from KD on a single 18650 does an even better job than the 1W Tank. I would say double the distance. The Tank is quite a tightish hotspot. About 1 hand span from hip to floor. The P60 is about 1 and a half to 2 hand spans. Not very accurate I know.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For diamonds, really, they normally use 254 nm or 365 (Long and short UV) not 375 or 390, etc....albeit you will see some fluorescence at those higher wavelengths in some diamonds.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5 UV was one of my earliest UV LED lights, and they are built like tanks.......but, its limited to ~ 390 nm and, its output is very anemic compared to some of what's out there now a days.
I have both the older X5UV and one of the more current ones. The old one is probably 390nm but the newer model has a lower wavelength,INOVA lists it as 365-400 nm.I don't know if INOVAs specs are correct but the new model is much better than the old for my purposes.One of the LEDs on the newer model failed but it still works fine with just four so I haven't bothered to return it. I may get another one as I don't see much else available in small UV lights that interests me but I am also looking for something small like the OP.

treasurehunter303

Newly Enlightened
Based on what I've been hearing I think I might pick up the Proton pro UV.

To bad no one makes a single AA sized zoom to throw UV at the 365-375 range. That would really be the ideal thing for my situation where I need portability and strength but don't want to buy multiple lights for different situations. Anyone know the pieces to put together to make a UV light with
- 365nm or 375nm
- 1W or greater
- Zoom to throw function
- Single AA or similar size battery

maybe I should make a thread for that?