How to replace 3-wire driver in head led light to 2-wire driver.

junglemike

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.
I'm using some flashlight i bought from DX (sku 294221 )
It has 3 modes hi,low and strobe. I wanted to get rid of strobe mode and to add more modes (3 instead of 2) - hi/med/low.
I bought from DX this driver: (sku 6190 )
The problem is that There are 3 wires coming from flashlight's board - led-, led+ and key.
When I press a button (which is NOT on/off button - it does not have 2 states, it's like button on a remote control) - Led- is shorted to key.
How can I replace the built-in driver with the driver I bought, while new driver has only 2 output wires - led+ and led-??

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with that particular light, but it sounds like the light either has 2 buttons, or uses an electronic switch.

If it's one button with an electronic switch, then you'll need to get a different driver that works with electronic switches. DrJones makes a variety of different ones. Or you can get one from Mountain Electronics.

If the light has a main on-off clicky switch plus a second electronic switch used to change modes, you might be able to use your current driver. The electronic switch would simply be bypassed and do nothing. Or you can get a driver specifically made for the 2 buttons. DrJones also makes those.