Had this problem w/your SF tailcap?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Z3: momentary-on works most of the time.
Sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes pushing it a few more times makes it start working again.
Sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes screwing the tailcap down to constant-on makes the light come on, and makes the momentary-on start working again.
Sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes pointing the light straight down, or tapping it on my leg makes it start working again.
Sometimes it doesn't.

Naturally, I would like to eliminate all these "sometimes", and have a working light all of the time.
Is this a common problem with an easy fix that I just haven't read about, or do I need to call SF about sending me a new tailcap?
Thanks.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing I would do is clean the terminals in the light and those on the batteries. It counds like a connectivity problem and you need to eliminate possibilities and fix what is left. It would be a drag to get a new tail cap and still have the problem. If you have access to or have a friend with a digital MM check the switch for open or fluctuating readings as you cycle the tail switch.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I can figure is that the problem is within the tailswitch. Everything else appears to be making proper contact. Forgot to mention it, but the switch is really hard to push sometimes (to the point that I'm afraid of tearing the combat grip ring right off), while other times I can tap it with a fingertip and it activates.
Noticed a couple of times that the beam was not full brightness when activated, also.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new C2 and have had no problems like you describe. I think the tailcap is faulty from what you've said. It should not be hard to push, and the beam should always be consistent. The Z3 is all about using the momentary button with a firearm, so 100% function should be expected! Surefire customer service has always gotten back to me right away even with simple questions. Here's a link to their contact page:

http://tinyurl.com/2p4bm

If you're anything like the rest of us, you want to fix it yourself so it will work NOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Like SB said, give it a cleaning. Don't go too far though. Sounds like it's their problem and they should take care of you.

Let us fellow SF fans know how it goes!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sween1911 said:
The Z3 is all about using the momentary button with a firearm, so 100% function should be expected!
If you're anything like the rest of us, you want to fix it yourself so it will work NOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. To both statements /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I called SF customer service, and said "I just got a Z3 and the tailcap switch isn't working properly", and started to describe it. The lady (Elena-sp?) just said "what's your first name?, and your last name?, and your shipping address?" Very nice.
New tailcap on the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Course I'd still like to fix the original one...

Skyline

Enlightened
I've had this problem before with my 6P. All I had to do was clean the threads and lip of the body where the tailcap screws on. It would also be helpful to use a Q-tip to clean the edge of the tail switch that contacts the lip. Excessive lubricant, aluminum oxides will cause the problems you've outlined.

Nowadays, I've gotten into the habit of wiping down the lip every time I change the batteries. It's never bothered me again.

G'luck.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had my Z3 for close to a year now, no problems like you've described, must be a faulty tailcap.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I discovered the problem. The tailcap completely stopped working tonight, so I had nothing to lose by disassembling it.
When you remove the spring, there is a 3/32" Allen head screw. Removing that drops out the "front" part of the tailcap. There is a plastic slotted piece threaded into place that separates the pushbutton portion of the tailcap from the part that makes contact between the batteries and the body. The slotted piece was apparently screwed in too far, and was also crossthreaded. Seems it was keeping the pushbutton from going in far enough to make a good connection (edit: and at an angle, so instead of making contact all the way around, it was only at a single point, due to the piece being in further on one side than the other).
I am confident it is going to work properly after seeing how the pieces go together, but am not so confident that I'll actually get it reassembled, because of the damaged threads.
But I'll try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: got it working again, though not with the factory spring, which I could not reseat in the tailcap to save my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Much smoother, and works every time. I don't trust it entirely, due to the scavenged spring not being a perfect fit, but that will only be an issue when the tailcap is removed. Hopefully my new tailcap will be here soon, anyway...

Skyline

Enlightened
Wow, sounds like getting a new tailcap will be your salvation after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif