xpe-2

vgk

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on what this led could be driven to are appreciated. It is rated at 1 amp... is 1.4 amps doable? Specificaly the red led if that matters. How much would that help with output? Thanks

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any opinions on what this led could be driven to are appreciated. It is rated at 1 amp... is 1.4 amps doable? Specificaly the red led if that matters. How much would that help with output? Thanks

There's testing showing that if you put it on a Noctigon direct copper star you can run it up to 2.5 amps. Increasing the current after that does not increase output.

vgk

Newly Enlightened
increasing the current after 2.5 amps? Also how hard is it to mont an led to a star? I am only familiar with them already on the stars

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a vinh XP-E2 drop-in that runs at 2A without issue. This is just in a Solarforce L2T with some aluminum foil to help the thermal path from the drop-in pass heat through the flashlight body.

Xandre 01

Newly Enlightened
2,4 Ampere is maximum (copperstar coolwhite )
then the led goes darker..

vgk

Newly Enlightened
So with a red led do you think it would be any different? As in the maximum amps? I am thinking 2 or 1.75 amps. Hopefully i can get myself a nice hunting light.

vgk

Newly Enlightened
Also you say that is a very good sight. I like the led that he offers but he doesnt have a driver option in the 2 amp range. Any recommendations on a good sight that sells drivers and hosts? I think i am going to go the p60 route instead of a c8 like mountain electronics mainly has.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also you say that is a very good sight. I like the led that he offers but he doesnt have a driver option in the 2 amp range. Any recommendations on a good sight that sells drivers and hosts? I think i am going to go the p60 route instead of a c8 like mountain electronics mainly has.

Richard at Mountain Electronics can handle it.

Order a host, driver, and the XPE2 on its star. When you order the driver choose the one "QLITE REV.A 7135*8 3.04A LED DRIVER", then select the menu option to "Increase/Reduce Driver current 7135". The default board comes with eight 7135 regulator chips. Each chip supplies 380 mAh current. To get around 2 amps, choose the option to remove 2 chips (which reduces current to 2.28 amps) or 3 chips (which reduces current to 1.9 amps).

Alternatively you can do the same yourself... just buy any stock Nanjg 105c type driver, then remove the 7135 regulatator chips by holding a soldering iron to their ground tabs and then sliding them off with a tweasers.

Mountain Electronics is truly a great site with some great prices on custom modded stuff. For instance, he just put up for sale yesterday a batch of Supfire M6 flashlights, which with full mods costs $81 draws 18 amps of current and outputs over 4000 lumens out the front. To get a flashlight with that kind of output from anyone else you'd have to pay a lot more or build it yourself.

Last edited:

vgk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot! That was really helpful. Another question. To my understanding the c8 is more of a thrower and the p60 a flood right? I think the xpe-2 driven at 1.9 amps should throw very well in a c8! Also would a c8 get the heat out better?

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot! That was really helpful. Another question. To my understanding the c8 is more of a thrower and the p60 a flood right? I think the xpe-2 driven at 1.9 amps should throw very well in a c8! Also would a c8 get the heat out better?
A C8 will handle heat better than a stock p60. You can improve the p60's ability to handle heat by wrapping the dropin with foil so that it will have better thermal conductivity to the flashlight body.

I really like the build quality of the Convoy C8 host. My son and I just got one to build as his first flashlight project.

vgk

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a c8 host with 1.9 amp driver and the xpe-2 mounted on copper! Thanks for the help everyone