hypothetically speaking

tadbik

Enlightened
If I wanted to start my own business manufacturing flashlights (hypothetically speaking) how would I start? Can I buy all the components and just put them together? Is that how they are made in the U.S.?

How much of the technology is patented? When we talk about a regulated LED flashlight, how complicated is the electronics for the regulation and again is it patented?

Just wondering, I have no skills in any of the required field, just wanted to know how many manufacturers are actually designing and manufacturing or are they just putting the things together and charging us a lot of money for them?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
interesting question!

i'm sure there is a bit of both. i know of companies that engineer their products wonderfly, and i know of some that just put stuff together and hope it works most of the time.

someday, i'd like to start a flashight business, and i already have some lights designed. the main difference between designing "mod" lights and designing "commercial" lights, is that when designing "commercial" lights, you need to take into account ease of production.
i've designed quite a few lights, some of them i've actually machined, and sometimes the hardest part is putting all the dam pieces together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
whereas my "commercial" light ideas are all amazingly simple to assemble, but i don't have the resources to actually make all the pieces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
of course, i don't realistically expect to start a flashlight business someday, but it's a dream of mine. much like being the ruler of a remote island /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tadbik

Enlightened
Maybe we should put our heads together and make a list of what would be a good commercially viable flashlight. Just for the fun of it!

What do you think Rothrandir? would it be a LED? What kind of battery and what would be the best shape? Standard Maglite type shape or something more unorthodox like the ErgoMarine?

What about a flashlight that was made of plastic for the "WalMart" buyers and the same design in a tough aluminum version for the pro. market? It would cut costs if it had the same internal parts and electronics.

What do you think?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
my designs are all metal, led, and very very high end...
of course, all these designs were made to appeal to me in hopes that they would appeal to others also. certainly not for the regular buyer.

my only concern is if i started a company, i would have to start using capitol letters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Well Roth, any good entrepreneur will tell you that if you want to start a business you're going to need capital.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif