headlamp advice?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations / ideas, based on the preferences outlined below, would be much appreciated.

- single AA
- 3 or 2 modes
- some tilt would be good
- mostly medium to short distance use (throw is not a priority, neither is max output)
- indoor use (so cool white or neutral white is just fine)
- work light, so needs to be durable, but not heavy
- budget: under 70usd - 40 gbp

What's good out there? What to look out for?

Thanks.

KNaB

Newly Enlightened
Spark SG5 with reflector.
+1. I've been using a spark headlamp for about a year in filthy, humid, and wet underground conditions for hours straight and it is still going strong. I've owned every headlamp surefire has ever made, as well as a couple of streamlights and while that doesn't constitute a decent sized sample of what's available, it is ,by far, the best.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! The Spark SG5 looks promising. It comes as full flood and the more focused reflector is a separate purchase, or the other way round? Also - anyone knows who carries Spark in the U.K.? (Lub w Polsce?)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. I've been using a spark headlamp for about a year in filthy, humid, and wet underground conditions for hours straight and it is still going strong. I've owned every headlamp surefire has ever made, as well as a couple of streamlights and while that doesn't constitute a decent sized sample of what's available, it is ,by far, the best.

+2
you could go with the SG5. if it's mostly close distance and indoors, a pure flood is probably best.

if by chance you need more throw, you can buy the optional reflector afterwards. the optional reflector won't make it a thrower either which you don't really want in a headlamp.
(10usd i believe, i use mine mostly indoors so i didn't buy one. but maybe later i'll purchase one. i still think they are a little crazy for giving this cheap option rather than just forcing people to buy another model)

UI is no nonsense 4 levels ( +1 super mode) but if you use one mode mostly, it's very convenient with the memory.

i had no problems with my spark headlamps or my zebralight for the matter. i still always get the feeling the spark is more durable because of their design seems more robust. they are not going for the absolute compact form factor. if you are dealing with any water i would lean towards spark too as there has been some controversy on the press fit lens of zebralights. the spark is press fit too but it's removable so serviceable.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
i still think they are a little crazy for giving this cheap option rather than just forcing people to buy another model).

The technical term you're looking for is "not ripping people off" :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be ordering it soon from hkequipmentex on ebay.