Favorite small plastic flashlights

paulr

Flashaholic
What are your favorite small plastic flashlights, in different battery configurations? They should be lightweight, durable, and preferably not too expensive. Waterproofness is a plus. Lithium batteries a plus (cold weather, long shelf life). Electronics (microprocessors and maybe LED voltage boost circuits) are a minus (general paranoia about long term reliability). The idea is a light that you can stick in some corner of your backpack and leave there til you find yourself without a light. Not necessarily a hardcore survival light, but more of a rainy day type of thing. Here are some I can think of:

1AAA: Shorelight V-1/VX-1 ( www.glow-bug.com )
2AAA: PT Blast, UKE mini light and eLED, UKE penlight, etc.
3AAA(?): Eternalight Derringer
4AAA: PT Rage, PT Attitude
1AA: Suggestions? Tek-Tite makes a rather bulky one. I'd like something like the Dorcy freebie found in Duracell 8-packs, but less junky. Bulb should withstand 1.7 volt lithium AA cell.
1x3.6V AA lithium: Tektite Microlith (direct drive LED). I've always been intrigued by this light but it's bulky like their regular 1AA.
1x123: Tekna Splash-Lite. Any others?
1xCR2: Don't know of any, wish there were some. A 1xCR2 light with the UKE 2AAA penlight bezel would be great.
Coin cell: CMG O-4, Photons, $1 Countycomms, etc.
Button cell: Pelican L-1
2x123: UKE 2L
2xCR2: again can't think of any. Would go great with PT Attitude bezel or slightly smaller counterpart.
9V: PALight
2AA: Any suggestions? The UKE 2AA and PT20 are too big. There were some small ones years ago but I haven't seen any lately. Pelican penlight, Streamlight ProPolymer?

Let's stop at 2AA. Anything bigger is too big. The most surprising thing is that every 2AA plastic light I can think of is pretty big and clunky.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paulr,

You have narrowed the field down quite a bit.

My favorite coin cell light is the Pelican L1, although the $1 key chain lights are also a good deal.

From there I jump to the Petzl Tikka (3 AAA). It is a head lamp, but it is quite small.

Some of the pen lights are descent, but I have not tried any of them.

Tom

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Shorelite Vx-1 is an interesting single AAA plastic light. While its beam is very blue and strange shaped, the four power levels give it a degree of desireability. All it really needs is a whiter LED.

paulr

Flashaholic
Silverfox, the L1 uses button (non-lithium) rather than coin cells, I knew about it but hadn't really considered it. I'll try to check one out sometime. Yes the $1 lights are an excellent deal and are probably what I'll stick with for coin cell lights (except I got some Photons for free). The CMG O-4 is more waterproof but quite large for a keychain light. Botach has a good deal on them if you don't mind buying from Botach though.

I also thought about listing the Princeton Tek Scout (4x2032, computerized). The headband makes all those lights bulkier though. I like the Petzl Zipka better than the Tikka, because of its coiled string gizmo. Is the Tikka computerized? I've forgotten.

Flying Turtle, good point about the Shorelight, I forgot about that.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's slightly outside your criteria, but would a Petzl Zipka (+) (3xAAA) or PT scout headlamp (4x2032) fit the bill? In a backpacking pinch I'd rather have a spare headlamp than a spare handheld light that can be dropped and lost. The Scout is very small.

D'oh!!! It appears that Paulr and I think along the same lines! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Quickbeam, do you have a Scout? Can you weigh it on a postage scale? Thanks.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Paulr,

(my fav /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif)
I Use the Pelican L1 with a white LED and a yellow body. The yellow body is a plus to easily find it in very low light. Has a clicky bum too. It uses four of the A76 coin cells (or LR44) and according to the Energizer website, they are in fact lithium. It is better-than water-resistant but not water proof; it would survive a dunk no problem but definitely not for diving. It is an EDC in my parka during the winter. The white LED is direct drive with no resistor.

For this light I order the Energizer part #A76BP2 (needs two packs to fill'er up) from an electronics wholesaler (Electrosonic)($2.11CDN for a two pack). Never buy them retail. Replace them once a year BTW, and does me the whole winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Techmedic

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 2AAA SuperMityLite is small, bright, and waterproof, beam's ok too. Their 2AA Versabright is good for the pocket or on the bill of a cap.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr, you know my vote already... UKE 2L. Best lightweight plastic light I have for its size and price range.

Another entry (possibly?) could also be the Inova 24/7... dunno if that qualifies as a 1x123 light or not...

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, the UKE 2L is just a bit on the large/expensive side for a tuckaway light like this. And there really doesn't be much yet to improve on the venerable Tekna Splashlite in small simple 1x123 lights. The Inova 24x7 is a little too computerized for my tastes though I'll check one out if I get a chance.

I'm surprised nobody makes a coin cell "anglehead" light, i.e. the LED is pointing out the face of the light perpendicular to the battery. That would make it real simple to velcro to a very thin headband, or to a pocket clip so you can use the light handsfree while it's clipped to your shirt pocket or collar.

paulr

Flashaholic
Cool, that looks very similar to a light my mom got at a dollar store. I'd also been thinking of getting one and filing it out for 3x123. However I'm particularly looking for a real small 2AA light. There used to be lots of those and now there seems to be none. KPR112 doesn't pop pretty fast? Does the reflector melt or anything? I figured to use a KPR118 or a 6 cell Mag bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, I decided that 2aa was the max size I wanted to include in this list.

[Note: list updated to include Shorelight V1/VX1 and Pelican L-1]

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

I use this light in the battery bulb food chain when my 3x123 set up in a Mag 2C looses it's whiz bang I switch them out to the Drocy Frostbright because a fresh set of 123's will blow a bulb with some time on it. After that I feed the 123's to my Arc LS to get the last power out of the batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
fa432b56.jpg

Later
Sway

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SL Syclone 4-AA. It is very versatile light with many mounting options. Even comes with a bracket for headlamp. It has an angle head that rotatates over 90%, and of course has a LED also for low light. Great throw for a 4-AA, and it fits well in the hand.

I am considering a rechargeable in this for the guilt free lumens.

Tom_Dunn

Newly Enlightened
I love my little PT Blasts. Have three. Ten dolars, batteries included, waterproof and the clip for a hat gets used more than I expected.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ray-O-Vac Industrial 2AA (WalMart) is a nice cheapie, and small for a 2AA light. Good beam shape, too. They have a "folding" model for about twice the price, but I already have a VersaBrite II that fills that bill.

I don't have a Blast, but do love the 4xAAA Rage with NiMHs. It's my non-emergency (i.e., not lithium) keep-in-car light.

http://www.duracell.com/products/flashlights_pocket.asp
Duracell has a new 2xAA light in pretty colors with a nifty design, $4 at Eckerd Drug, but I have yet to buy one as spare bulbs don't seem to be available. For that matter I have an "army style" right angle 2xAA that uses midget-flange bulbs that I also can't find replacements for.

pockets.jpg