Review: Gloh's average-bloke's guide to the Thrunite TN12 (2014)

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Gloh's average-bloke's guide to the Thrunite TN12 (2014)

This review is catered for the everyday person looking for an EDC torchlight without the graphs, tables and technical jargon that might make things that bit more complicated.
That being said, the nitty-gritty, technical aspects of flashlights are an extremely valuable resource for those that do understand and appreciate that side of lights.
However, if you just want to know what makes this light good or bad in the simplest of ways, then that is what I can offer.

N.B. If you like looking at values and charts, I highly recommend reading Selfbuilt and FlashLion's reviews!
3tCYj5PL.jpg

LIoi2o2D.jpg

D6JOJ6iW.jpg

1fAR56tg.jpg

UJLEgKhs.jpg

Thrunite's Website Information

Firstly, here is a run down of what Thrunite displays on their website.

Features:
- Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Uses two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Removable Stainless steel clip
- Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
- Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Specifications:
LED: Cree XM-L2 U2
Max output: 1050 lumens
Max throw: 218 meters
Peak beam intensity: 11,866 cd
Modes: 0.3 lumens (65 days), 20 lumens (74 hours), 280 lumens (5 hours), 800 lumens (1.5 hours), 1050 lumens (1.5 hours)
Input Voltage Range: 2.7-9V

Batteries: 1 X 18650 / 2 X CR123A
Waterproof: IPX-8 (2 meters)

Impact resistance: 1.5 meters
Type 3 hard anodized anti-abrasive finish

Dimensions:
143 mm (length)
25.4 mm (Bezel diameter)
Weight: 82g (without batteries)

Accessories:
Holster, lanyard, clip, spare o-rings

Build/Weight
The TN12 feels and weighs like one tough torch. Although it feels relatively light without the 18650 battery inside, it definitely gains much more once the battery is inserted. I've always felt that EDC items that are too light, don't always register with your sense of touch, and thus can be left behind and lost. With the just-right weight, you're more likely to notice if you don't have the torch in your pocket.
All segments of the torch fit together nicely and fit extra snug with the aid of the two o-rings (one for each joint).
There's a video on youtube where someone runs this torch over with a car and it continues to function perfectly - a testament to its sturdy build.
Whilst it may be rugged, it still maintains a sleek design that is bound to impress anyone and slides in and out of the pocket with ease.
With such a strong build, this torch can be used for practically any situation without over or under doing this job.
These might include...
- Camping (big tick)
- Fishing (waterproof to 2 metres)
- Spotlighting/bushwalking
- EDC

The pocket clip can be removed if you prefer not to have one (perhaps it is your bag or you have deep pockets). However I have found the pocket clip to be extremely useful in stopping your fingers from curling all the way around when gripping it. Whilst not everyone may like this, the pocket clip acts as a spacer and prevents your nails from slipping in between your palm and the torch.
Whilst it is a minor and negligible issue, I would've liked to see the pocket clip anodized black as well.

The on/off button can be depressed lightly for a momentary light, and all the way for on/off. This switch is solid and feels durable (although I will update as I use this light more).
The mode switching button, located towards the head of the torch, does not depress half as much as the back switch. When pressing the mode button, it takes little effort, yet it is very noticeable when the button has been pressed (albeit its shallowness).

On a scale of over-ripened fruit to Dwayne Johnson, the build of this torch is easily tougher than Arnie in Commando. Flawless and indestructable.
JQs9w6Ry.jpg

vGXxqxUS.jpg

2jIoP67X.jpg

Grips
There are many ways you can hold a flashlight, some suited more for some than others. The TN12 allows a range of grips to be used, however the distance between the mode button and tail-switch can be quite cumbersome at times. Whilst this is by all means not the only ways to hold this torch, I will try and describe how each feels.

Overhand Grip - Comfortable and allows a firm grip. The belt clip allows your fingers to seat nicely around the torch without over-gripping. The mode button can be pushed with your pinky (doesn't take much pressure to click), however if you have short fingers/small hands, it might be difficult. This is the only conventional grip that allows you to switch modes whilst being able to also access the on/off switch.
vTOvpq4E.jpg

Cigar Grip - Also comfortable and firm (if your thumb is not on the switch). Allows a much more firm push on the tail-switch in comparison to the overhand grip, but prevents you from using the mode switch.
ukC1ObaA.jpg

Underhand Grip - As firm as the overhand grip, except now the mode switch can be accessed easily. Hitting the on/off switch is impossible unless you maneuver the torch with your fingers which is cumbersome and not practical.

nN88cT1e.jpg

Thrunite didn't get quite a good grip on the mode switch concept. Perhaps its biggest flaw.

Light modes
TN12 has 5 modes, firefly, low, medium, high, turbo (essentially the same as high).
For situations indoors, I cannot see a purpose for using anything brighter than medium. It will easiliy flood a room with light (or perhaps you have a really large room). Using high/turbo will most likely be a waste of battery. Using the TN12 as a candle (bouncing light off the roof) in a room can be easily achieved either by the medium or high setting.

The medium and high setting is more suitable for outdoors whether that be in the backyard or out in the bush when camping. This is mainly because the high setting is blinding in close quarters such as inside the house and defeats the purpose of using a torch (you can't see in the dark, and neither can you see in 1050 lumens).
In terms of spread/beam, the high setting doesn't have a 'hot-spot' as such (when used outdoors) but has a nice intermediate.
To give an idea of how it works, say you are standing outside your front door facing the house opposite yours. Separating you and the opposite house is about 5 metres (towards the road) of front yard each and a two way road. When shining the torch (on high) at the opposite house, the entire front of the house is lit up, not just, lets say, the door.
This should be considered when purchasing the torch. If you prefer really tight beams at long distances, this may not be the torch for you. However the TN12 holds a comfortable intermediate that is practical and useful for many situations.

The one disappointing thing about the TN12 is its so called 1050 lumen setting. To the naked eye, the difference between the 800 lumen and 1050 lumen setting is unrecognizable. Essentially its the same and you're pressing the button twice for 800 lumens. The only good thing I can think of is that it minimizes your chances of accidentally clicking past the 800 lumen setting when in a hurry, but even then, that is difficult. If there really is a difference in power usage, I would stick to using the 800 lumen because it is identical.
Both the high/turbo mode can make the torch quite hot too (that is expected). Whilst I'm sure it can handle the heat, be mindful of the battery's temperature too.

Strobe is pretty cool. Nothing more to be said.

Here are some photos to show you what you can roughly expect in a dark room and an item on the different settings.
lhFDUeCS.jpg

XN5eUjDI.jpg

3hZpXv0M.jpg

niwRzrgk.jpg

I1IuOrtc.jpg

The TN12 has a multitude of settings that caters for most situations and environments - it's bright enough to join Mensa.

Cost
The light can be bought off several websites for roughly $45, depending on where you live and what websites are convenient and available to you.
For Australians, this light cost $50 (+$8 postage) from Australia's official Thrunite dealer.
For this price, regardless of whether it is $45 or $50, it is definitely worth what you pay. Whilst it isn't the most expensive torchlight, it suits people new to torchlights or want something that is expendable.
The only thing to be cautious about is the need for 18650/CR123A batteries which might add on $20 - $30 extra (for those that don't already own those batteries). It might seem inconvenient to have to buy and source these batteries (they aren't common in Australia and cost a lot more) but given the time and effort, they will outdo any AA/AAA torch in both lumens and run-time.
Rather than spending money on cheaper torches, it is nice to be able to spend once on a trustworthy (under warranty too!) piece of machinery art that can impress and do the job right.

It only costs ~$50 to own a TN12 and 'glow with pride'.

Pros

- Good weight
- Strong build
- Sleek
- Beautiful anodized finish
- Multiple modes
- Brightest mode = very bright
- Waterproof
- Relatively cheap

Cons
- Belt clip is not anodized black
- Mode button and switch might be too far for quick-switching access
- 800 - 1050 lumen visual difference is pathetic
- Requires specific 18650/CR123A batteries
- Can heat up on high/turbo mode (not necessarily bad - just be weary)

I hope to do more reviews on both Thrunite products and budget-ranged torches in the future!
Till then.
- Gloh

Last edited:

Gloh

Newly Enlightened
Update: I previously said there is no discernible difference between 800 and 1050 lumens, however on a fully charged battery, you can tell that it is slightly brighter, even when viewing in close distances (I.e. underneath my stairs). So I guess 1050 is not completely futile, however using 800lumens seems almost identical.