Thrunite T30-S shuts off after only few seconds on strobe and dims on high?

thrwbck77

Newly Enlightened
Hi the Thrunite t30-s has a strobe mode when in stand by and also when on. The problem is;
strobe will cut out randomly sometimes will go into fast and slow strobe but usually cut out before than,
but max about 20 seconds, and the high output will dim randomly.The light is not getting hot, but a little warm.

I am using a protected 18650, Orbitronic 3400mAh 3.7v battery fully charged.

kj2

Flashaholic
That's weird. Threads clean? Everything, including the ring to hold the clicky in place, tightened?

thrwbck77

Newly Enlightened
yes everything is clean, both O-rings are fine and both ends are on tight.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try by-passing the clicky to determine where the problem is. With the tailcap off, connect the negative batt terminal to the batt tube edge - if it works normally, then the problem is in the head (probably need to send it in). If it's the tailcap, it's probably the retaining disc (just needs tightening).

thrwbck77

Newly Enlightened
Try by-passing the clicky to determine where the problem is. With the tailcap off, connect the negative batt terminal to the batt tube edge - if it works normally, then the problem is in the head (probably need to send it in). If it's the tail-cap, it's probably the retaining disc (just needs tightening).

yes i had already tried bypassing the tail switch, but the light only goes to high. and its only dims randomly and cannot access strobe by doing so. I was thinking it might be the head, and contacted thrunite but was seeing if there was anyway around sending it back before they responded.

thanks for the help

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i had already tried bypassing the tail switch, but the light only goes to high. and its only dims randomly and cannot access strobe by doing so. I was thinking it might be the head, and contacted thrunite but was seeing if there was anyway around sending it back before they responded.

thanks for the help

Gotch ya.... I now see the T30S uses some sort of electronic(??) tailcap clicky and mode switch, so the bypass test may not be relevant here - that's probably where your problem is. There's an exploded view of the clicky guts HERE if you wanted to open it up and try clean contacts inside.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Gotch ya.... I now see the T30S uses some sort of electronic(??) tailcap clicky and mode switch, so the bypass test may not be relevant here - that's probably where your problem is. There's an exploded view of the clicky guts HERE if you wanted to open it up and try clean contacts inside.

I have a TN11S. And yes, the driver/switching electronics is in the tailcap of that unit. Thrunite replaced the tailcap and switch for me, I haven't had a problem since.

thrwbak77, You may want to see if the switch is screwed in tightly to the inside of the tailcap, like reppans suggested earlier, because if it doesn't make good contact you can have intermittent failures. I use craftsman lock ring pliers, but I see that some have successfully used pointed tweezers, or fine needle-nosed pliers.

Last edited:

thrwbck77

Newly Enlightened
I have a TN11S. And yes, the driver/switching electronics is in the tailcap of that unit. Thrunite replaced the tailcap and switch for me, I haven't had a problem since.

thrwbak77, You may want to see if the switch is screwed in tightly to the inside of the tailcap, like reppans suggested earlier, because if it doesn't make good contact you can have intermittent failures. I use craftsman lock ring pliers, but I see that some have successfully used pointed tweezers, or fine needle-nosed pliers.

I did take the tail cap off and took it apart. hooked it to an ohm meter and both switched seem to act fine, everything was cleaned and re-tightened as suggested. the strob still cuts out once at 3 seconds then again around 15-20 seconds intermittently after that. guess its going back to thrunite :-/