LS4 and Canadian Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to get a good estimate of how much the LS4 is going to ultimately cost. Did anyone who has purchased an LS recently have to pay duty, taxes etc? All the lights I've purchased so far have slipped quietly across the border with no duty or sales taxes of any kind. All have been small packages with values under $100. When I order the LS4 it will be a larger packages with batteries also....and significantly more expensive.

Blair

red_robby

Enlightened
have you ordered from arc before ?
they use fed-ex, can you say PAIN!!!
expect a hassle, brokerage charges, and duty.
oh yea, you'd better be home to receive it, or you'll have
to pick it up yourself, from the depot(what a fun evening that was)
just what you wanted to hear, right?

red_robby

Enlightened
FedEx (and UPS) charges for crossing the border with it
basically... about $20.
bend over...(just think happy thoughts)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'd recommend waiting until shortly after they come out and posting on B/S/T that you're looking for one. Someone is bound to buy several and sell the balance. Others may be put off by the complexity of the LS4's switching modes. Also, a lot of older LS lights will come up for sale by people wanting to upgrade. Hopefully, if Arc's Canadian sales dive, Peter might be more flexible on Arc's shipping options. Finally, Arc's LS prices might dip a bit when the LS4 is out. Patience, grasshopper.

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Ordered an LSH-S and a bunch of AAA's back in the summer. Just looking at the Fedex receipt...extra charges (beyond Arc's shipping fee) included pst/ gst and Fedex's $7.00 "ROD" fee. No duties.

Elmie

Enlightened
Don't worry, I have ordered numerous items from ARC directly and have NEVER paid any duties or taxes. They use FEDEX and not stupid UPS!

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi Bluewater,

This may not help you, since you are farther from the US Border than I am, but I ship my ARC products to the US and then drive down (to Point Roberts USA). When I bring them across the border, I declare the items and pay GST/PST. Items made in the states aren't subject to duty (in general).

As others have mentioned, sometimes you will get dinged brokerage fees, which add up quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know my suggestion probably isn't as practical for you, but hopefully, it might help some other people (e.g., other people in Vancouver).

Cheers,
eric t

kermit

Newly Enlightened
Your best bet to avoid the hassle of either paying duty, or fighting to avoid paying it, is to have the light shipped to someone who lives in the US. They can then ship it to you in a global priority or global express envelope via regular postal mail for just a few dollars. Since the product is manufactured in the US, you should not have to pay any duties thanks to NAFTA. You will likely pay a $5 fee that is levied by the post office for the CCRA and pay PST/GST/HST.

If you want to ship it through me (a felow Canadian living in Florida at the moment), I promise to inspect the light and test is for at least a week to make sure you won't be diassapointed with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll double check the duty issue on the flashlight through the CCRA website and edit this post accordingly.

kermit

MrMom

Enlightened
Bluewater, I live north of Buffalo and go over the border several times a year if that helps. Where in ONT are you?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kermit said:
If you want to ship it through me (a felow Canadian living in Florida at the moment), I promise to inspect the light and test is for at least a week to make sure you won't be diassapointed with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kermit

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...that's the kind of selfless dedication that makes CPF great...thanks for the offer.

MrMom....I'm in Kitchener about 2hrs from Buffalo. Hopefully when the LS4 finally goes on sale Peter will have some free shipping offers to US desitnations. I could drive over and pick it up.

Blair

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Blair,

You might want to take a second look at what Kermit mentioned. If he takes a new light and checks it out, it is no longer a "new" light and the declared value of the light can be reduced. Would you rather pay duties and taxes on $200 or $100?

Of course there is a trade off. If the light is lost in the mail, its value for recovery is also reduced.

Just something to think about.

Tom

kermit

Newly Enlightened
Bluewater - What can I say, I have a big, selfless heart! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seriously though, if you end up driving over the border to pick it up, I would suggest that you mail your receipt, manual and packaging to yourself in Canada. Then carry the light over in person. If you're stopped becuase you look guilty and your car is searched, there is no evidence to worry about.

kermit

PS - I'm returning to Canada in June and could carry a light or two over in person if anyone is interested.

Maniac87

Newly Enlightened
I've had 2 shipments from Arc over $100 U.S. each shipped by Fedex to Toronto.

Both times I was only charged an "ROD Fee" of $7 CAN plus $0.49 for GST.

This was in addition to PST & GST being charged on the Canadian value of the shipment (which is mandatory).

No duties.

Maniac87

Status
Not open for further replies.