Pelican 1910 and 1920 AAA lights to get brighter and have dual modes

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican Products web pages for their 1AAA 1910 and 2AAA 1920 lights are now showing both models as having 2 brightness levels:

- 1910 model: 72 and 14 lumens

- 1920 model: 120 and 12 lumens

I spoke with Carol in Pelican's Consumer Sales department who said the new 1910 is available now and the 1920 is scheduled to be available April 21, 2014.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=1910

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=1920

The online instruction sheets (PDF format files) haven't been updated yet and still show a single level.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Roger that. :)
Decent forward-clickies as well if I understand correctly, not many AA & AAA lights with those.
Price should be competitive also. :)

Edit: I would have liked to see a lower low on the 1xAAA version though.

Last edited:

Mayor

Newly Enlightened
How do these model change between high and low? Couldn't seem to find that info, is it a quick double click of the button, or some other way?
Relatively simple lights, but it is pretty cool to see a AAA forward clicky. That alone should float some people's boats :p

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
would be even neater if they were plastic lights instead of metal ones but then probably not be able to achieve the output.

blademan

Enlightened
I would love to have a plastic bodied light similar to these too, Lynx Arc, but these pretty good.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the new 72/14 lumen Pelican 1910 and am impressed. It is slightly longer and fatter than a Streamlight Microstream, as shown in the photo.

I cannot identify the new 1910's emitter. I tried to take a photo of the LED, but I didn't have a camera handy and had to use a flatbed scanner instead. There is a small, dark speck on my 1910's reflector, but it has no visible affect on the light.

The tint is an attractive creamy white and the beam is free of artifacts.

In ceiling bounce tests, the new 1910 is brighter than my (67 lumen) 2AAA Pelican 1920 and much brighter than the Streamlight Microstream. I cannot discern a difference in brightness between the new 1910 and my 87 lumen Mini Maglite 2xAAA penlight.

The 80 lumen Streamlight Protac 2AAA looked slightly brighter than the 72 lumen 1910 in the ceiling bounce test.

Outdoors, the Pelican 1910 threw light farther than the 67 lumen Pelican 1920, but not quite as far as the Protac 2AAA.

All lights mentioned above were powered by Energizer lithium primary batteries.

microstream-vs-pelican1910.jpg

pelican1910-led.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured the new Pelican 1910's current consumption from a single AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery at approximately:

820 mA - high
166 mA - low

pelican1910-box.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I measured the new Pelican 1910's current consumption from a single AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery at approximately:

820 mA - high
166 mA - low

pelican1910-box.jpg

That's odd, the run time at 72 lumens barely half the run time at 14 lumens, even though 14 lumens is ~ 20% of the output.

You'd think it could run closer to ~ 5 times longer at 14 lumens than it could at 72 lumens, not only ~ twice as long? (Not EVEN twice as long, a bit less?)

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Maybe I missed this -- I read the links and the posts and was wondering ...

... if this is a reverse or forward clicky ?

... is the sequence low then high or high then low ?

I am very interested in this. But Pelican's website only mentions using an alkaline battery; I wonder how the regulation is on an NiMh battery. At Streamlight's website, the runtime graphs for their models running on AA and AAA alkaline batteries either have a great nearly flat regulation or have almost a diagonal line for regulation.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I missed this -- I read the links and the posts and was wondering ...

... if this is a reverse or forward clicky ?
Forward clicky with momentary action. That's a feature which sets the Pelican 1910 and Streamlight Nanostream apart from most other 1AAA lights.

... is the sequence low then high or high then low ?
High, then low.

I have a new 2AAA Pelican 1920 on order and will post comments on it after trying it out.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the new Pelican 1910 so I bought the new 1920 and am pleased with it, too.

The new 120/12 lumen Pelican 1920 is 1/4 inch longer than the original 67 lumen version. They look identical otherwise (new 1920 shown in the center in the photo). My new 1920 has a generous spill and a pleasing, slightly cool tint.

A quick ceiling bounce test shows the new 1920 much brighter than the old version, but only slightly brighter than the 80 lumen Streamlight Protac 2AAA.

Outdoors, the new Pelican 1920 throws just a little farther than my Protac 2AAA in the high brightness mode. The difference is more pronounced on low, with the Pelican throwing its (nominal) 12 lumens further than Protac's 10 lumens.

The brightness differences between my new Pelican 1920 and Streamlight Protac 2AAA are almost insignificant. I don't require a strobe mode and the Protac's strobe mode always gets in the way when switching the Protac to low mode. In that respect, the Pelican is much easier to operate.

I measured the 1920's current consumption from Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries at about 900 mA in high mode and 89 mA in low.

pelican1920-vs-protac2aaa.jpg

pelican1920-box.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's odd, the run time at 72 lumens barely half the run time at 14 lumens, even though 14 lumens is ~ 20% of the output.

You'd think it could run closer to ~ 5 times longer at 14 lumens than it could at 72 lumens, not only ~ twice as long? (Not EVEN twice as long, a bit less?)

Oh, the brightness and cd drop rapidly as the cell drains, and they count the run time as down to 10%, so, it inflates the specs...found it.

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
Are these pelican "penlights" one of the best on the market ?? I purchased a Streamlight stylus pro USB and pretty impressed with the 70 lumen output and beam , but wanting one or two to have around using AAA's and much better water proofing than the laughable IPX-4 that the stylus is rated for .

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these pelican "penlights" one of the best on the market ?? I purchased a Streamlight stylus pro USB and pretty impressed with the 70 lumen output and beam , but wanting one or two to have around using AAA's and much better water proofing than the laughable IPX-4 that the stylus is rated for .

I have been using both the Pelican 1910 and 1920 for the past 9 months. I've used the 1910 indoors each night and used the 1920 as my main light when leaving the house for about 3 days each week.

They have worked every time, without hesitation or failures and I've been delighted with their performance.

I haven't tested them under water.

If I lost the Pelican 1910 or 1920, I would replace them with the same models as I've not seen any newer models which would better meet my preferences (e.g., momentary action, forward clicky pushbutton, decent pocket clip).