Best Battery for Fenix E20

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

I own a Fenix E20 and it is currently running cheap Aldi batteries which are not desirable, what are the best batteries for this torch either rechargeable or non-rechargeable? It normally runs off 2 standard AA batteries.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I know the best performance is with Lithium L91s. If I recall correct they provide 4 hours regulated output with E20. But Eneloops are never wrong either.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can swing it I'd buy an 8 pack of Eneloops (just get the most recent generation white 1900mah cells) and a BC-700 charger. Might be about 50 dollars all together, but if you take care of them the performance is GREAT in a 2aa light and will last you years and years. Label them with a sharpie too in sets.

If you literally only have a single E20 and don't use it that much (or on it's low/mid setting) then maybe it is a better idea to buy a pack or two of high quality L91 lithium cells. Those things are amazing, but remember they are single use cells and very expensive.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total rubbish you write.

Hear me hear me...

There is a yes and no truth to that. From my personal experience. If you leave an alkaline cell in a light LONG enough so that it literally loses it's charge or use the cell a lot so there is a almost no charge in it left and then let the light sit for months or more it DEFINITELY has a very good chance of leaking. I've had this happen to a cheap light personally.

I think if you use good quality cells though and use them and replace them in a timely manner when they are out it's probably not going to happen. If you put fresh cells into a light that have a long expiration date and you know the light doesn't have any kind of small parasitic charge drain then it should be good for a long time.

The good thing about using good quality NiMh or maybe especially good quality lithium single use cells or rechargeable lithium ion cells (18650's or other) is that they have very little chance of leaking. It can happen with some NiMh, but they tend to vent gas if they are really old or just inferior quality rather than actually leak battery acid like alkaline.

TL-DR
:

If you have an expensive light (say over 30 dollars) then I really don't recommend keeping alkaline cells in it. Go ahead and use fresh alkaline cells in it, but once you are done don't leave a mostly used cell in it and come back to the light months later. Bad things can happen.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
For telling the truth?
There is a reason why every flashlight manufacturer recommends not to use alkaline batteries.

Well just been checking some instruction sheets at random and found nothing apart from a Led Lenser light telling me not to use rechargeable.It puts new users off being a peddler of doom,there is nothing at all wrong using Alkaline batteries as long as you use common sense.I buy Procell Alkies in 10,s at a fraction of retail and they serve me well.Duracell spend a small fortune eash year telling us how good there batteries are and you Sir are trying to make there famous bunny redundant. :grin2:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hear me hear me...

There is a yes and no truth to that. From my personal experience. If you leave an alkaline cell in a light LONG enough so that it literally loses it's charge or use the cell a lot so there is a almost no charge in it left and then let the light sit for months or more it DEFINITELY has a very good chance of leaking. I've had this happen to a cheap light personally.

I think if you use good quality cells though and use them and replace them in a timely manner when they are out it's probably not going to happen. If you put fresh cells into a light that have a long expiration date and you know the light doesn't have any kind of small parasitic charge drain then it should be good for a long time.

The good thing about using good quality NiMh or maybe especially good quality lithium single use cells or rechargeable lithium ion cells (18650's or other) is that they have very little chance of leaking. It can happen with some NiMh, but they tend to vent gas if they are really old or just inferior quality rather than actually leak battery acid like alkaline.

TL-DR
:

If you have an expensive light (say over 30 dollars) then I really don't recommend keeping alkaline cells in it. Go ahead and use fresh alkaline cells in it, but once you are done don't leave a mostly used cell in it and come back to the light months later. Bad things can happen.

+1 well said

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I consider the main reason with an AA-light to be the possibility to use several different battery options. If I totally exclude alkalines I can rather use only lights runned by primary lithiums and Li-ions. Even if the risk with leaking alkalines should be taken into account I don't want it stop me from using them at all.
A good advice is to remove alkalines from a light if it isn't in use for a while, and to check the cells now and then.
For a travel light I find an AA-light to be ideal, because I can as well bring with me a charger and a few Eneloops, and in the case of not having the opportunity to charge the cells I can get alkalines in every store everywhere, and maybe also lithium L91.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I consider the main reason with an AA-light to be the possibility to use several different battery options. If I totally exclude alkalines I can rather use only lights runned by primary lithiums and Li-ions. Even if the risk with leaking alkalines should be taken into account I don't want it stop me from using them at all.
A good advice is to remove alkalines from a light if it isn't in use for a while, and to check the cells now and then.
For a travel light I find an AA-light to be ideal, because I can as well bring with me a charger and a few Eneloops, and in the case of not having the opportunity to charge the cells I can get alkalines in every store everywhere, and maybe also lithium L91.

+1 A real common sense approach is what i follow just as you write it here.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think temp has a lot to do with leaking alkalines. I had a Duracell leak in a flashlight and don't want to go through that again.
It can easily get over 100(F) degrees in the summer here and if your light is outdoors a lot (edc) then I feel it's just a matter of time.

mcnair55, how hot does it get where you are?