First Luxeon light (Reactor3), Impressed!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured that it was about time that I got myself an LS based light...and it ended up beint a CMG Reactor 3. Two reasons: One, it was the first one I found on eBay, and two...I was in compulsive buy mode, and went for it before really thinking about it!

Anyhow, looks as though I managed to get lucky with the Luxeon Lottery here, this thing's WHITE. Not to mention bright. Significantly moreso than the Nuwai AT-100 here, which was, until now the brightest LED based light I had (10 LED's). I'd heard that the colour of the LS in the Reactors could be a little "variable" to say the least, no greenies here though, and the beam's almost perfectly centred. We'll see how the switch holds up to continued use, and I'll try to get a review up soon. Think I prefer the look of the Reactor 3 to the 2AA version too. Looks as though I might have a new light on the "reach for first" position on the shelf!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's even a touch brighter if you remove the resistor out of the tailcap.

Easiest way to do it is put a tailcap from an original reactor on it!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh...have only had it an hour...hadn't found that yet...Hmm...anyone got a spare original Reactor tailcap handy?

Probably won't need to though - I mean, I've got the Maxim MX-20 (Mag 5D knock-off...unmodded as yet, but was cheap!), and a 1MCP spotlight for when I need serious light, this is pretty much perfect for around the house tasks and wandering around outside at night, will have to try that though.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just HATE it when EVERYBODY else gets the perfectly white Luxeons.

Grumble, *****, whine, pptttttttt !

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
I just HATE it when EVERYBODY else gets the perfectly white Luxeons.

Grumble, *****, whine, pptttttttt !

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your first LS!,
Once you let one of those beasts in your house, you wallet will start to lighten. Next thing you know, Arc LS, Surefire L4's and modders insane light will follow suit. Run while you still can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm glad you got a good Reactor 3.
i got one of the $15 original Reactors from Battery Station the other week and got one with a nice white hotspot.. i was fairly impressed with everything except the switch.. i got the light just to use in the house, as a step up from my Arc AAA..
the extra battery in the Reactor 3 would probly make it nice and bright.

i have the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon and it's very bright and white.. i kinda like the length of the 3AA luxeons too!

way to play the lottery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My first Reactor has that yucky "rotten cat urine green" color to its beam, but my 2nd and 3rd ones have pure, snow-white beams.
Guess you hit all six numbers in the Luxeon Lottery this time around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, been playing with...er...testing I mean, it for a few hours now, and still happy...and seeing spots. Thought I'd have learned by now. Just fascinating how the light behaves in the optics though!

Like the feel of the 3AA in the hand better than 2AA lights I think, balance is quite good too I think.

It's going to be a total Pain in the tail to photograph though...that much I can tell already! Oh what we go through to review lights. (I seem to recall a black X5 causing you similar problems a while back Craig...only now I truely feel your pain in that respect!)

And yes, I know...ArcLS will inevitably follow in January! I've been promising myself one for ages now. Hmm, must be getting close to the 40 lights mark here now...

LightScene

Enlightened
The Reactor 3 is a very practical light. As you said, it's perfect for walking around outside at night.

Be careful with bypassing the resistor. You don't want to blow the luxeon. One advantage of the resistor is that the batteries last an incredibly long time - 15 hrs.

I just got an Arc LSL, and it's not as bright or as white as the Reactor 3, but it is a lot more useful, because of it's size and the instant-on tail switch.

Still, I'm keeping the Reactor 3 as a walking light and a desk lamp. It's easy to hang it from the ceiling, and since I use rechargeables, it's basically free.