White Light flashlight combined with a Blue Laser?

LA COWBOY

Newly Enlightened
I recently read something on the next 'leapfrog' technology in tactical lighting that combines not only the normal white light in a flashlight but also combining it with a blue laser (as opposed to a green or red laser). I need help on any article or link here I can get more info. Thanks!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage of a green laser is that our eyes are most sensitive to this color and it is visible during daylight hours. The problem with the green lasers is that they can be traced back to the source by an opponent, so they are not quite as tactical in that respect. This is not really so with red lasers, unless there is smoke in the air. I prefer green, but red lasers work fine at night or in darker conditions. I'm unaware of what advantage a blue laser would offer over the red or green, since certain atmospheric conditions like rain or fog can make blue harder to see.

LA COWBOY

Newly Enlightened
I found this on the topic and a little on car headlight technology. It has to do with a Blue Laser diode? vs LED.
I would lke to know more.
I don't expect that lasers will replace LEDsfor common flashlights, as LEDs have high efficiency, low cost, andsafety.The article acknowledges that the laserdiodesare not as efficient, but says that the combinedopticalsystem is more efficient; this may be true in some applications or beam shapes,but I don't think it can beat a high quality reflector for total lightoutput.

For dedicated throwers however I expect thatthe laser-stimulated phosphor will be vastly superior because the surfacebrightness should be much higher than any LED, even with a Wavien collar. Iexpect that the K40vn
andevenDeft-X will seem quaint in a few years as Maxabeam intensity levels becomepossible from similar sized lights. Phosphor life could be a problem however.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hadn't heard of this, very interesting. It seems like the article is talking about technology though, not just laser colors. Doesn't this place have a laser forum? I thought it did. Perhaps a mod could move it there?