Imalent        

Thread: Tiny Atom Al for appraisal.

Default Tiny Atom Al for appraisal.

I fancy buying one of those tiny Fourseven Atom AL key chain lights basically as i love AA/AAA size lights and keep the odd one or several CR123 lights in my stash.

The only thing that puts me off is the magnet,thought it was good handy idea at first but when i read on another site about the owners keys sticking to the magnet it put me off a little.

How say owners here?
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Default Re: Tiny Atom Al for appraisal.

I use mine all the time. Stick it to pipes. electrical boxes, nails, car frame. I believe the many uses out number any cons out their. Sticking to car keys is pretty minor in my opinion. Get one - you won't be sorry.

Flashaholic*

I have an A0 with red LED on my keychain now. The.magnet has not been an issue for me. I just have to remember not to carry a USB drive in the same pocket.

*Flashaholic*

I have an Xtar keychain light with magnet, and its very handy, and I have never had an issue with keys, etc.

The magnets are typically removable if you do find there's an issue, so its not a big problem either way. I have a few with magnets, but of them, the Xtar (Meteor) is the only one I use that way.

I also find the magnet very useful. Yes there are a few occasions where the magnet sticks to something like keys, but it isn't that strong and is easily freed. I think the usefulness of the magnet outweighs the times when it is stuck to something unintentionally.

Thanks chaps i will get one then.

Is the magnet removable on the Atom series, like it is on the Olight S10 and S20?
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Default Tiny Atom Al for appraisal.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have an A0 with red LED on my keychain now. The.magnet has not been an issue for me. I just have to remember not to carry a USB drive in the same pocket.
    A magnet will not cause any problems to your USB drive.

Nor will it even cause problems with an external hard drive. I've since lost the photo, but once to settle this argument when discussing the Olight S10 which also has a magnet in the tail, I stuck it to an external hard drive that my Mac was booted from and ran it for 10 mins with no issues caused. At 5400RPM, the platter ran under the magnet more times than it might jiggle against a magnet in your bag or pocket in a year.

Flashaholic*

I read the magnet is removable on the Atom lights.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    I read the magnet is removable on the Atom lights.
    Handy to know if it bothers me but seems it probably will not.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Handy to know if it bothers me but seems it probably will not.
    Just take it to your local de-magnetising store

sorry

Just remove everything from the tail that can melt like o-ring and plastic bits of there are any and put the blowtorch to the magnet 😊

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Just take it to your local de-magnetising store

sorry
    Oh my... ven you are too funny!

@mcnair55,

I managed to demagnetize a few neodymium magnets trying to solder wires to them with an electric soldering iron, to make magnetic jumper wires, Similar to cottonpickers.

It won't stick to brass keys, which are the most common. If you've got cheapo steel keys, then it will stick to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    USB drives should not be harmed by magnets since they don't use any magnetic storage. Unlike credit cards and traditional floppies and tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    USB drives should not be harmed by magnets since they don't use any magnetic storage. Unlike credit cards and traditional floppies and tapes.
    Mine doesn't hurt my credit cards. Maybe if I stuck it right against the stripe and left it there it would wreck it, but in a wallet no way. Besides, most credit cards are chipped now, and the stripe is just for old terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Etsu View Post
    Mine doesn't hurt my credit cards. Maybe if I stuck it right against the stripe and left it there it would wreck it, but in a wallet no way. Besides, most credit cards are chipped now, and the stripe is just for old terminals.
    I never meant to imply that it would cause critical damage, but credit cards generally do still have magnetic storage.