What's the BEST Flashlight on Shelves at the BOX STORES Right Now??

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm needing a flashlight upgrade as I haven't bought one for a while and don't own a CREE. I need something to check the yard and house at night.

I went to Walmart about a week ago and I always check the flashlight section. They had some pretty interesting things that looked and sounded good, but I don't keep up with these things at all so I don't know if the claims they are making are BS or true or somewhere in between. The Ozark Trail lights, Bushnell and Coast all looked good. I have also visited LOWES and HOME DEPOT in the last few days too and I made my way to their flashlight section as well. I can't recall a lot of the things I saw at these stores as I was in a hurry, but a couple of the MAG lights were nice and they too had some nice CREE lights with HIGH OUTPUTS listed.
Another store that I go to on occasion is ACADEMY SPORTS. I can't remember a thing about their lights though.

Can you all tell me if all these lights are basically the same or are there REAL differences in them? At WalMart there is a Coleman 6AA light that is $23 and there is an OZARK Trail 6AA light that is priced about the same with similar specs and I would guess that COAST also has a competing entry that matches up with these. Would you be better off with one particular or would all of these pretty much work well for the NON-ENTHUSIAST user?

OK, I am sure that you guys/gals are up on these lights at the so called BIG BOX stores. I'd like to know what would be the best one to buy to put on a nightstand in case you had to check the BIG BACKYARD at 3 AM.

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame you were not in the UK as i would suggest a light from Defender or Tesco own label double C cell if you are ok with that type of cell.The biggest selling light over here is Led Lenser,sold in hundreds of outlets and usually you can barter for a discount.

Personally i secretly quite like LL and own several but the lack of regulation puts me off but after reading member "Vens" comments i am actually going to buy the one he praises.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hey all,

Can you all tell me if all these lights are basically the same or are there REAL differences in them? At WalMart there is a Coleman 6AA light that is $23 and there is an OZARK Trail 6AA light that is priced about the same with similar specs and I would guess that COAST also has a competing entry that matches up with these. Would you be better off with one particular or would all of these pretty much work well for the NON-ENTHUSIAST user?

Nalajr

I believe that a comparison of these two lights were discussed in the budget section of this site a few weeks ago.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I believe "defiant" offer good value for money flashlight in your stores.

+1

In my experience the Home Depot Defiant "Tactical" models are better than the (similar) "Armormax" models. I have the 3xD version of both, and the side switch, single mode UI, and relatively clean beam makes the Defiant Tactical a great light for ~$20. The 3xC version of the Tactical is still on their website, but is discontinued. (Model # 809-2781-D)

The Armormax is solidly built for the price (~$30), -- but the tail switch, 3-mode UI with stobe and visible PWM on low, and ringy beam make it my second choice out of the two. I understand you can move the wiring on the board to turn it into a single mode, if you are so inclined, which would handle my biggest complaint about the light...

The Defiant Tactical flashlights seem to be holiday specials, and when they are gone, they are gone until next Christmas.

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to try one of the DEFIANT lights from Home Depot. I'd sure give $20 for one of the "C" models and I wish I could've got in on that BLOWOUT of the 3C Defiant lights for $9 around Christmas and the new Year. NONE are in any of the stores around me. Maybe someone has them in their local HD and can pick me up one and sell it to me.

I just got back from Wally and was going to get the MAG 2AA MiniMag that is $14 and puts out 84 lumens. Instead I picked up a 3AAA OZARK TRAIL 150 Lumen light for about $10.50 or so. I thought it worth a look. The beam is BIGGER in size than the MiniMag 2AAA light and even though it says it's 84 lumens, it seems like that tiny beam it has wouldn't illuminate much that wasn't fairly close to your eyes. I'll likely end up getting one anyway to try it out.

Thanks all

Nalajr

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Home Depot's Defiant brand is indeed honest about their lumen ratings; you'll find at least a couple ~$30, 500 lumen models there. Wal-Mart's Ozark Trail brand has a 4xAA model that is an advertised and confirmed 500 lumens at the same price also. And don't forget Maglite's new/current PRO line, a 220 lumen MiniMag and 270 lumen 2D Mag.

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up an Ozark Trail today just to see how it is. I was either going to get the MiniMag 2AA at 84 Lumen for $13 or this Ozark Trail with 150 Lumen for $10.50. I figure I'll end up getting that MiniMag anyway at some point cause it looks like a good "around the house light." I haven't checked it out yet, but it is a nice feeling light.

As for the MagLite PRO line, I have been eying those too, especially the MiniMag 2AA Pro+ which seems better than the Pro.

I like the adjustable beam on the MAGs, but on the AA and AAA models the one thing that I really don't like is that you have to twist the light head to turn it on. If you have it in your hand and a handgun or shotgun in your other hand, you might have a bit of a problem getting your light into action if needed, the same thing with the weapon. A punch button is much better. Of course I could dispense with all of that by getting a dedicated weapon light. The reason I don't is because I don't think it's a smart idea to be pointing a LIVE WEAPON at everything that moves in the dark which could easily be my nephew or niece that happen to be up and roaming at all hours of the night.

Nalajr