Why all the excitement over "throwers" Vs "Floods" ??

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Am reading here alot of facination/interest in lights that can illuminate the top floors of 50 story buildings. I guess if I lived out 'in the country' and needed to illuminate my property/farm/doghouse, etc but what gives for use beyond this?

School me. Thanks-

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Am reading here alot of facination/interest in lights that can illuminate the top floors of 50 story buildings. I guess if I lived out 'in the country' and needed to illuminate my property/farm/doghouse, etc but what gives for use beyond this?

School me. Thanks-

LOL

Some people, believe it or not, have lives that differ from yours. :D

:eeksign:

For example, that "Out in the Country" craziness is actually some people's reality. Some people do search and rescue or disaster response, or need to check their horses, or chicken coops from the porch, or inspect a large area/long crawlspace, etc. Some people need to find a dock or passage through a rock infested channel, or where their traps' buoys are. Some people need to shoot things/people a long way off, and, a long range light is handy for these sort of needs.

There's also the giggle factor of course. Some people just get a thrill from being able to put a beam on something a mile away. :party:

So, for some people, they really only use throwers....and the farther they can project a beam, the better.

As for flood, well, being able to see everything at once simply works great for seeing things. The primary reason that ALL lights are not floody is that the range is limited. IE: A flashlight makes a certain amount of light (Lumens), and, they can either be concentrated on a distant target, or, painted across a broad surface.

Some people really only need flood, and, the more the merrier.

So, the "excitement" is being ABLE TO get the amount of light desired onto the desired targets.

:D

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, throwers are more useful than flooders. With a thrower, you can turn it into a flooder by putting a diffuser in front of it. A piece of paper would work. But with a flooder, you can't turn it into a thrower so when you need to reach out a bit, you're out of luck. Not to take anything away from flooders though. They definitely have their uses.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
To be honest, throwers are more useful than flooders. With a thrower, you can turn it into a flooder by putting a diffuser in front of it. A piece of paper would work. But with a flooder, you can't turn it into a thrower so when you need to reach out a bit, you're out of luck. Not to take anything away from flooders though. They definitely have their uses.

A diffused thrower will not flood as well as a flooder either, as, in most cases universally, a dedicated tool will do a job better than an adapted tool from another purpose.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now unless your getting a light with extreme performance on one side or the other, there are great all around lights to be had. With more throw than most will ever need, and great flood to match. The tk75 comes to mind.

But the excitement comes from being great at what it's designed for.
A car that can reach a crazy top speed, or one that handles like it's glued to the road. They are great at what they were designed for, and receive attention for it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
REALLY!!!
You people are going to respond to this?

How long before it becomes a pissing match, who has a longer thrower? :sigh:

LOL

Sorry Poppy, we long'ns sometimes forget how hurtful it can be to you short guys to hear this stuff...

:p

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throwers are also more useful than floods in most urban situations:

1. You don't upset (or blind) your neighbors, or cars driving by, or pedestrians.
2. A thrower is more useful for putting light in a dark space at greater distances - like checking out dark alleys, checking your car in a dark parking lot, etc.
3. Throwers handle ambient light interference better - with a thrower, I can check out dark spaces in semi-lit areas where floods tend to fail.
4. Throwers compact more of the output into a tighter beam, making the light seem much brighter than the numbers suggest - this means brighter light to see by while still getting longer run times compared to floods that have to be much brighter to achieve the same effect and suffering shorter runtimes.

ven

Flashaholic

School me. Thanks-

There is no exact answer,everyone has different needs from search and rescue to wanting a light that throws for a mile ..............just because it does and its amazing(to some or most rather)

I mix it up,have lights that throw awesome like tk61vn,like my floody lights as much as i find more useful for me(personally).
I have lights that do both very good so good throw and flood,all down to needs,wants,usefulness,or just because you want it...........

Some are more impressed with throwers,maybe less by flooders........thats it,everyone has preferences,no right or wrong,just whats best for the individual be it for the WOW factor or usage.

Use beyond not having a big play ground is individual preference. Just like wanting a $20k watch that tells the time just the same as a $100 watch...........why would anyone want to do that............well lots do for their own reasons;)

What ever i buy,i want the best within reason to what i can afford for my money. Basically what i can justify spending on a light,what suits me needs/wants is just all personal preference. I dont go for the throw vs flood as there imo no correct answer,simple as that.

Some will argue throwers as its required for their needs/use,others flood as thats required over the other.

So Mr Stockhouse,by the question asked,you seem maybe not to share the interest/passion of some on here regarding specific lights(nothing wrong with that too add;)) just maybe the answer to the question .............:thumbsup: as for me its easy to see and no need to really explain why i would rather have a flooder or thrower.

Me saying my "flood" is better than my "thrower" means nothing to anyone apart from me,only matters to me,as its me who thinks its better..........its only right to me ;) :laughing:

Where i live is fairly built up,so i need to go to a country park,go camping to use my lights to their potential,for work flood biased lights and lower lumens suit my job as 4400lm in the rear of a machine is a little overkill..........and blinding. So a mix of lights for different uses,thats my personal use for the "beyond this"

:twothumbs

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL

Sorry Poppy, we long'ns sometimes forget how hurtful it can be to you short guys to hear this stuff...

:p

Very funny TEEJ :)

So four fellas come to a bridge over some water.
Poppy decides to urinate and make little circles in the water.
Mr. mcnair55 exclaims... "hey, that water's COLD" (but no colder than the urnials at walmart :nana: )
Ofcourse ven adds... "yeah, and deep too!"
And lastly TEEJ while explaining how CD is related to lux and LENGTH of throw said.... drum roll.... "yuk... and the bottom is muddy!"

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Very funny TEEJ :)

So four fellas come to a bridge over some water.
Poppy decides to urinate and make little circles in the water.
Mr. mcnair55 exclaims... "hey, that water's COLD" (but no colder than the urnials at walmart)
Ofcourse ven adds... "yeah, and deep too!"
And lastly TEEJ while explaining how CD is related to lux and LENGTH of throw said.... drum roll.... "yuk... and the bottom is muddy!"

LOL

The mud does end after a bit though, and then its more like packed clay, till we get to the bed rock.....though down stream a ways the water's warmer at least...

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
And remember many of the buyers of flash lights are purely posers and 10 fries short of a happy meal from Maccy D,s.I wager most have no real reason for anything more than a good AA cell.

I was reading the thread about why you edc and quite shocked at how few replies there is. Simples really no one really needs a torch unless you require it for work.

When i want a good giggle i turn to any forum on more or less any hobby.For instance Mr AN Other nips to the shop in his car for a few groceries.He has his edc plus a back up light plus he has another back up light in the glove box and all this for a trip in the day light plus of course he will have his knife-wallet- concealed weapon for countries stupid enough to allow there use plus endless items like a mini pry bar para cord etc etc.

The above is intended only as representative of my opinion not others opinion,
nor is it meant as an entreatment to invite any response by any other
regarding subject matter, content or anything associated by any other.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Love the disclaimer mr mcnair :laughing:
10 fries short of a happy meal is bang out of order!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There would be no bloody fries at all :laughing:
;)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I was reading the thread about why you edc and quite shocked at how few replies there is. Simples really no one really needs a torch unless you require it for work.

I didn't respond in that thread primarily because I didn't think the OP really wanted to know, but rather wanted to start a thread and see how many responses he could get. The OP has over 1300 posts. Certainly he is not a newbie, and has been a member here since 2007. He claims to EDC himself. Do you really think he cares WHY YOU EDC?

Have a fries. :)