Older MAGLite 3xAA LED....Can this be UPGRADED with a DROP-IN Unit?

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I have a Maglite 3xAA light that is one of the early LED lights. It is NOT a CREE or one of the HIGH powered models. I have had it for probably 5 years or so. I see all kinds of ads and talk about drop-in upgrades for the MAGlites and when I go to check on them I see plenty of products for the "D" and "C" and the "AA" models, but I never see a unit for the 3AA LED lights. I don' think it was that popular.

I don't see why it wouldn't upgrade just like the incandescent models would.

I'd like to upgrade it to a HIGH power CREE bulb if it's out there somewhere, within reason of course.

If you know or have any suggestions, how about posting them?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a rare light. It uses pretty much the same "pill" concept as current LED MagLites. These include the 2AA Mini-MagLED, the Pro version, 2D and 3D MagLED models. Even the XL50, XL100, and XL200 use a variation on this pill. Unfortunately, no one makes an aftermarket pill for any of these lights. The best that you can do is to buy a newer 3D MagLED to scavenge its pill (or find someone with a spare pill) and get the Mini-MagLED retaining ring. That combination should give you about 110 lumens. The latest version with the Cree XP-E LED should give reasonable run times since it's driven slightly less hard due to the more efficient emitter giving about the same output.

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks PCC for the info.

You might know that I'd be lucky enough to buy a RARE light from MAG where no other upgrades are made for it. No way I could do the work you talk about.

I guess I'll just keep fresh batteries in it and sit it in a drawer in case of power outage or in my glovebox. I could always wait until I run across someone who is CRAZY about MAG and wants every single version they ever made and trade him for it....;)

Nalajr

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swapping pills is a lot easier than you might think. Getting one might prove to be difficult.

An alternative could be to just swap emitters. A Cree XP-G2 or XM-L2 on an 8mm MCPCB could be swapped on your module and you'd just about double the output.