Please help me identify LED type

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I have what is simply called the Energizer 2AA high intensity flashlight. It was advertised at Target as being 130 lumens when I bought it a couple years ago. The LED it uses is only referred to on the package as a "white LED". I'd like to know what LED it is (Cree or something else?). It looks round, which doesn't match pictures I've seen of Cree LEDs. After doing research online, I've heard the flashlight is a rebranded Nuwai light. But which one? I'm hoping that the Nuwai description will name the LED. Here's an ad of the Energizer I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WN5ZCO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I've written to Energizer to ask them, but they only repeated that it has a "white LED". I asked about it being a rebranded Nuwai, but they replied that they cannot comment on their suppliers.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Need a picture of the business end to tell.

Ok, here it is. First time taking a close up of an LED. The first one is of the LED in the Energizer. While I was taking the picture, I decided to take one of the LED in another light I have and was hoping maybe someone could identify it too. It's different. Click the pictures and then click the little magnifying glass symbol in the lower right corner to see them in full resolution.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks a lot like the Nuwai X-3 (Luxeon III 3W LED?). Review here: www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

That's almost certainly not a Cree LED. First thought was one from Seoul Semiconductors, but a Luxeon is also an option. Note there's a lot of 1W or 3W 'no-name' LEDs out there which have a similar round housing/appearance. Not sure whether Energizer would sell lights with such no-name LEDs in them though. :thinking:

Last edited:

LEDrock

Enlightened
Looks a lot like the Nuwai X-3 (Luxeon III 3W LED?). Review here: www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

That's almost certainly not a Cree LED. First thought was one from Seoul Semiconductors, but a Luxeon is also an option. Note there's a lot of 1W or 3W 'no-name' LEDs out there which have a similar round housing/appearance. Not sure whether Energizer would sell lights with such no-name LEDs in them though. :thinking:

Thank you very much for that! This is the first time I've gotten any information about this light since getting it about 2 years ago. That link to the review was from May 2006 so I wonder if the design was upgraded since then. The package for mine advertised a lumen rating of 130, and now the packaging in Target shows 150. It's quite possible that it's still a Luxeon 3 in it, since it's not a Cree. I thought maybe it might be an equivelant of it, like maybe a Luxeon Rebel or something alone that line. One difference between this one and mine is that this one has a momentary type switch while mine has a reverse clicky. I have the RayOVac Sportsman Extreme and it has a momentary type switch that can be used on my Energizer to make it momentary, and vice versa. Kinda neat!

I was shocked by the runtime evaluation of about 50 minutes. I don't use the light much, but assumed that the package's advertisement of 2 or 3.5 hours (can't remember what mine said. I thought it said 2, but the review said 3.5) was correct.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me too much if Energizer did sell this one with a no-name LED, since the package and online description only call it a "white LED". If it had a name, I think they would have been obliged to name it to give credit.

Last edited: