ICR/low drain protected IMR/high dran unprotected and the NCR/hybrid battery

abc001

Newly Enlightened
Looking into a monster pro-tango T6: requires IMR 'non-protected' battery.

Panasonic's hybrid NCR is protected, (18650 <18x650mm> 3100mAh Panasonic NCR18650A,)
but flashlight 1000 lumen max only @ 1.7 amps, so would this be a problem?

My understanding is that ICR/cobolts need protection due volatility with > 10 amp
draw, and are suited for low-drain coulomb levels, while IMR high-drain ion coulomb
transfer do not need fuse or OS moderated protection. The NCR hybrid is both ICR/IMR
so might yield high drain performance with built in low drain protection, and with 3100mAh
might just last longer.

Given variables I don't know about, is this battery usable/safe in this application?

Thx.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, abc001! :wave:

Specs for that light says (I quote): "Do NOT use CR123A or any unprotected battery". Dunno why no unprotected, maybe the light is designed for the additional length of protected 18650's, maybe for their customer's safety. :thinking: Anyway the math doesn't add up:

2 hours runtime (on high) with a 2600 mAh battery translates into ~1.3A draw. At 3.6~3.7V, that's around 4.7W. With an XM-L T6, that should put output in the 500-ish lumens range. Not counting drivers losses, or light that's emitted by the LED but doesn't make it out the front. So one way or the other, either runtime or lumens output is far from what's claimed.

1.3A (or even double that) is easily handled by protected 18650 Li-ions like those Panasonics, no need for IMR cells here.

Panasonic's hybrid NCR is protected,
Panasonic doesn't make protected batteries, afaik. I assume you're referring to the chemistry? (LiCo vs. IMR vs. LiFePO4​, the latter 2 usually without protection board).

FWIW: looks like a loooottt of $$ for a light with previous-gen tech inside.

kj2

Flashaholic
For what I see, those 'Monster'-lights are re-branded Chinese OEM lights. Way to expensive for what you're getting.