Gerber Cortex 2xCR123A or 3xAA

tapir385

Newly Enlightened
Dear all,

I'm interested in Gerber Cortex 2xCR123A or 3xAA, but I couldn't find any photos or descriptions how exactly does the flashlight accommodates different types of batteries, if anyone has it please post some photos and/or descriptions of disassemble flashlight.

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings from Croatia!

wjv

Enlightened
Go to gerbergear and search for cortex

Note: That site did not like firefox so I had to use IE.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if it is a typo or not, but a 3-AA setup will not fit into a 2-CR123 host. A 2-AA setup will fit into a 2-CR123 host with a single cell extension or a Surefire 9P type of host.

chazz

Enlightened
Anyone here get one of these and want to share your impressions, or do a review? Looks like an interesting light, also says "Proudly built in Portland, OR", nice to see another light 'built' in USA.

From the pictures it looks fairly robust, wonder how the build quality and toughness will be.

Tribull

Enlightened
Nothing like bringing an old post back from the dead. Did anyone ever end up trying the 3xcr123 model of the Cortex? Any thoughts on it? I couldn't find anything here with the search function.

matt4350

Enlightened
Nothing like bringing an old post back from the dead. Did anyone ever end up trying the 3xcr123 model of the Cortex? Any thoughts on it? I couldn't find anything here with the search function.

I bought one of these, couldn't find much info on it (here or elsewhere) prior to the buy but I liked the idea of running CR123 and AAs. It feels more solid than the Nitecore and Thrunite I have, but not quite up there with Surefire (not based on any objective test though!).

On CR123 I compared it to a Malkoff M91T, ceiling bounce showed the Cortex to be a little bit dimmer on high, my only measuring tool is the MkI Eyeball. Quite similar on low. The Cortex doesn't throw as far (not surprisingly) but it's pretty good outdoors. Little more flood than the Malkoff, the hotspot is somewhere in size between a 200 lumen 6PX I have and the G2X LE.

On AAs (Duracell alkalines) I compared it to the 6PX. The 6PX is marginally brighter, but the 2 are comparable. Beam pattern on the Surefires are just a little larger. I can't get the thing to work properly on NiMHs, I s'pose the voltage may be too low? The AAs don't rattle in the tube, either.

As far as output/performance goes, I'm quite happy with it, especially considering the versatility with batteries. The tail switch is quite stiff though, like REAL stiff, don't know if this is normal or just my light, but I find this annoying so any suggestions are welcome in this regard.

This is probably a good buy for someone who wants to run 3xCR123 but doesn't want to fork out for a Malkoff or Elzetta. On AAs it's a great light for around the house or in a quarter acre yard. AAs would be (just) adequate as the light on your belt if you're a cop but there's better options for that type of work.

Just my thoughts....

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Just ordered one. I'll either run it on 3 x CR123As or I'll try 2 x 14500 Orbtronics. I have a light meter, so I'll see if there's any difference between the 9 volts vs. 8.4 volts.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Sigh. Just got it today. Planning on returning it. The color/tint is too cool (bluish) for me. The body feels too chalky/dry. And the tail-cap's threads appear to be triangular cut vs. square cut; too easy to cross-thread etc...