Is my eagle tac screwed up?

tjiscooler

Newly Enlightened
So ive got an eagle tacP20A2 MKII and it specs at Lumen Output: LED lumen:453-365/75/10;ANSI FL-1 lumen: 329-263/58/8 its nice.

BUT my old *** pheonix L2D with Q5 is like twice as bright. I pulled it out the pther day and compared them and was really suprised. I think the pheonix was supposed to be like 180 lumens approx. Whats up here?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you comparing the beam? The Phoenix is using a Q5... that's an older emitter. It's luminance is higher than the XML2 in the eagletac, so it will produce a more focused and brighter hotspot. But the XML2 is more efficient and has a much larger emitter so produces more overall lumens. The Eagletac should be brighter, but floodier. The Phoenix should throw further.

Lux - a measure of the intensity at the brightest point of the hotspot. This tells you how well the light throws.
Lumens - a measure of the total light being emitted. A very floody light might have high lumens and low lux.

To compare lumens, try a ceiling bounce test: Go into a dark room with one light in each hand. Raise one light above your eye level and point it at the ceiling. Then look at something on the floor below the light... do NOT look at the hotspot on the ceiling. Immediately turn that light off and repeat with the other light. The one lighting up an object on the the floor the most is producing more lumens.

tjiscooler

Newly Enlightened
That makes sense, thanks. I put fresh batteries in either one and it seems the hotspot is hotter on the pheonix and the eagletac does seem to have more output overall. I always felt it didnt throw far too. Also the color temp is a little different and was messing with me. I guess theyre just pretty different lights!

pparmenter

Newly Enlightened
thats because xre's are still sick! i love how throwy that can be with such little output and for me the tint has been more conistent but o well 200lm light will never outsell 1000lm lights even if the cd is similat