Which LED drop-ins fit the new style 4D Maglites (Magnum Star II bi-pin)

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a TerraLUX TTS-3WCR90 Cree XP-G2 drop in but unfortunately it doesn't fit in my new style 4D Maglite which uses a Magnum Star bi-pin xenon bulb.

Question 1
Can you suggest any LED drop-ins that will fit these new design Maglites?

Question 2

Can you suggest some good hosts for my surplus TTS-3WCR90
(excluding older style Mags)?

Thanks

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you tried removing plastic bulb holder? the light did not change, only bulbs, and colar is a bit different, otherwise it is the same bulb tower as with ms1 lights.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI alpg88,

Yes I did remove the plastic bulb holder, the drop-in module is slightly too long to screw into place.

It actually states on the sellers web page (Amazon shop) that they do not fit new style Maglites, guess I should of paid more attention :mecry:

Thanks

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey x-ray,

How about the Malkoff XP-G2 or XM-L2 drop-ins? They cost a bit, but are well worth it.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey x-ray,

How about the Malkoff XP-G2 or XM-L2 drop-ins? They cost a bit, but are well worth it.

The installation video on their web page shows a standard Maglite bulb being replaced, I'm not sure it will fit in my Magnum Star II version.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump...

Anyone know if LED upgrades designed for the Mag Charger range will fit these new bi-pin D cell lights?

Been searching the web but not had any luck so far.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The installation video on their web page shows a standard Maglite bulb being replaced, I'm not sure it will fit in my Magnum Star II version.

I know for certain that my 2D Maglite which was using Xenon Bi-pin bulbs is currently running a 2D Malkoff drop-in without problems. My other Maglites are all White Star version lights. As far as I know, so long as your serial number starts with 'D', fitment isn't an issue... Just that the older 'non-D' lights need an additional sleeve. If you're worried and want to be sure, you could drop Malkoff Devices a message and inquire about compatibility with your 4D. They're very helpful.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Jonathan :thumbsup:

I will drop Malkoff an email

happychap

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a TerraLUX TTS-3WCR90 Cree XP-G2 drop in but unfortunately it doesn't fit in my new style 4D Maglite which uses a Magnum Star bi-pin xenon bulb.

Question 1
Can you suggest any LED drop-ins that will fit these new design Maglites?

Question 2

Can you suggest some good hosts for my surplus TTS-3WCR90
(excluding older style Mags)?

Thanks

There are drop-ins on eBay UK (£12.75) & USA that fit the new Maglites with bi-pin Mag-Num Star II Xenon bulbs. There is a good video review on youtube if you care to search for "Maglite Torch Cree LED DIY Upgrade" or link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfKPhrApDY&feature=player_detailpage

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are drop-ins on eBay UK (£12.75) & USA that fit the new Maglites with bi-pin Mag-Num Star II Xenon bulbs. There is a good video review on youtube if you care to search for "Maglite Torch Cree LED DIY Upgrade" or link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfKPhrApDY&feature=player_detailpage

Thanks happychap,

Been looking at that exact drop-in, just trying to decide if to go with this one or pay extra for the higher power Terralux TLE-310M-EX [h=1][/h]

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know for certain that my 2D Maglite which was using Xenon Bi-pin bulbs is currently running a 2D Malkoff drop-in without problems. My other Maglites are all White Star version lights. As far as I know, so long as your serial number starts with 'D', fitment isn't an issue... Just that the older 'non-D' lights need an additional sleeve. If you're worried and want to be sure, you could drop Malkoff Devices a message and inquire about compatibility with your 4D. They're very helpful.

I just picked up two new xenon 2D maglights and I'm looking to get the Malkoff drop ins for both, they will be gifts for a non flashoholic. Do you feel the upgrade was worth it and did the drop ins improve the poor beam?

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up two new xenon 2D maglights and I'm looking to get the Malkoff drop ins for both, they will be gifts for a non flashoholic. Do you feel the upgrade was worth it and did the drop ins improve the poor beam?

Hi P_A_S_1,

Well, I think the two 2D Maglites are great gifts. I think you can just stick to the original xenon lights as gifts. The Malkoff Drop-ins are a great upgrade, but even though they're on sale now at $39.99 each, it probably costs about as much as both stock Maglites together. Worth it or not? I suppose it is up to you. If you're getting it for yourself or for flashaholics, it is a definite yes.

Beam? The LED upgrade uses a cut-off reflector, so the beam is still not spectacular, although still focussable. The XP-G2 in the Malkoff drop-in is rated at 270lumens OTF vs 134 ANSI Lumens stock.

brighter5

Newly Enlightened
I just upgraded my 4D maglite with Bi-pin incan with the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TerraLUX MiniStar5 3 Watt LED Upgrade for 4-6 Cell Maglites, TLE-6EX. It was so easy just go To Zbattery.com and purchase the led bulb and (a Flange mounted bulb retainer,Just like the one that comes with the older maglites) so it can fit around the led bulb. The Bi-pin retainer isn't wide enough to fit around the TerraLUX bulb. Everything else about the flashlight is the same, it works perfectly!!! So many websites are claiming that the bulb wont work with the Bi-pin models, but it does, it just needs the older style bulb retainer.[/FONT]