Angryfox        

Thread: Flashlight with no hotspot

Default Flashlight with no hotspot

Hi,

Im looking to buy a flashlight, which has variable intensity levels, and has no hotspots.

Im not really looking for a thrower. Im intending on using it for fingerprint examination work (im a CSI); so id like to use it on low intensity closeup, and high intensity when examining a large or crime scene.

I have a little single AA UltraFire (not sure if its fake or not though), and works well with no hotspots, but i need something with more intensity

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Flashlight with no hotspot

Sounds like you're looking for a mule head. The Peak Logan 17500 with mule head may be a good fit. It offers variable intensity and can get quite bright on a rechargeable battery, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for examining a larger area (unless it's extremely dark). Depending on the lux required, it could be a good fit for you.

Another suggestion is to get a light with multiple levels and a large hotspot (instead of no hotspot). This may allow you to do up-close work at the correct intensity, while still allowing you to examine a larger area when necessary.

I know little about mules...but if you do a search for "recommend a mule" there are lots of pre-existing threads that might give you some guidance. I'd start with that, learn the terms and general design, and go from there.

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Flashlight with no hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by Underworld_Magic View Post
    Hi,

Im looking to buy a flashlight, which has variable intensity levels, and has no hotspots.

Im not really looking for a thrower. Im intending on using it for fingerprint examination work (im a CSI); so id like to use it on low intensity closeup, and high intensity when examining a large or crime scene.

I have a little single AA UltraFire (not sure if its fake or not though), and works well with no hotspots, but i need something with more intensity

Any suggestions?
    Depending upon your application, you might want a mule...a light with no reflector, just the open faced emitter, so the effect is more like a light bulb than a typical beam.

The Jetbeam RRT-01 is not bad for a floody beam that can be varied in intensity with a control ring. If a few spread out modes would work, the ZebraLight SC600 is very good for this sort of thing as well.

Both lend themselves well for sidelighting applications, such as getting the ridges, hairs, etc, to pop out better, etc.

I do forensic investigations, so, my applications are probably analogous to yours.

I find, typically, for me at least, the mules are a bit too unfocused (Well, none at all...), and I prefer a fan shaped beam pattern so I have a better feel for the delineation of my areas sweeped, etc. A like a wide beam though, and, sure, a hot spot = glare = missed details.

Last edited by TEEJ; 04-22-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it.

I'll get searching on mule heads and go from there (its a new term for me, so ive learnt something new)

Thanks

My sunwayman v10r ti+ is floodiest single cr123 light that I have without any hot spot. The smooth dimming goes from ~0.001 lumen to 500. I highly recommend it.

I would say mule too,no reflector so light goes out at a very wide angle.
    If struggling i would suggest a custom light,with your requirements and size/cell preference etc and pm vinh
    His section here
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...0-Vinhnguyen54

he could build /make one for ideal lumens/beam/host suggestions on your requirements............

Depending on budget then
    mcgizmo mule,beautiful,ti............well simply stunning............a very special light
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...nium-Mule-Wave

The other option is to for a zoomable light with an aspheric lens. These tend to be cheaply made budget lights, but with a few mods you can get a light that is in many ways superior to a mule. You'd get the wide even beam with no hotspot provided by a mule, but unlike a mule would have the option to zoom the beam in if you need more light for something in the distance.

I recently bought a $15 budget zoomable headlamp from Ebay. I did a very quick mod on it replacing the driver with a 1.5 amp 3-mode, and the emitter with a 4000k XML2 80 CRI neutral on Noctigon star. Entire mod took less than an hour.

Result: Beautiful even floodbeam with no hotspot and can focus for viewing in the distance. The flood isn't as wide as it could be with additional modding, and the spot isn't as focused. But for my goal of having something for close up detail work, its perfect.

Alternatively, you could go for a light with a reflector or TIR with frosted front lens. Lights like this will produce a wide diffiuse floodbeam with no hotspot very similar to a mule. Zebralight sells floody lights like this.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 04-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Surprised no one has mentioned the FourSevens Atom series yet.

Flashaholic

Id also consider a MTG2. Member vinh makes nice 3 mode variants. Really no hotspot. Nice 5000 color temp.

Flashaholic*

Check out the Dereelight NOHS. Exactly what you need.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic

I recently picked up a Armytek Wizard Pro. First it was for the headlamp configuration. But, after using it I installed the pocket clip put a paracord Lanyard on it and now its always in my pocket. To me it has no real hot spot, has multiple modes, and outputs. its perfect for my work,climbing in a dark cockpit setting it up prior to power on, crawling in wheel wells, equipment bay,etc.
    check it out might be what your looking for.

Not sure what your price range is or what battery configuration you're looking for, but how about a Zebralight H502w or H502d? Both are headlamps that run on AA batteries and have 120 degree beam spread, as well as multiple output levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Check out the Dereelight NOHS. Exactly what you need.
    This. I have a No Hot Spot Dereelight for sale on CPF Marketplace. Mine is modded with the Nichia emitter for colors that are more true to life. Someone just asked for a beamshot, so I have a picture here to share. It was harder than I thought to capture the true color, and while it does have a slight pink cast to it on the white wall, in real life use it just makes the colors look great. Even if this tint is not to your liking, you can get an idea of the beam shape.

Sunwayman V11R - Dereelight NoHS - Zebralight h52w

Flashaholic*

How about, any well built flashlight with the UI Battery & mode spacing you want then just put on a Diffuser that most companies make to fit there line of lights ?

In would recomend a fully variable output using a ring like nitecores srt 3/5/6/7 range or sunwaymans V25c. these will give you any brightness you desire. then just buy the right diffuser to go with it and you will have a beautiful floody beam.

Elzetta Charlie high output with drop in flood optic, I have this set up and there is no hot spot.
    Last edited by Craig K; 04-23-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Thanks for the beam shot KQL, this is exactly what ive been looking for...i love the output of that flashlight. Thanks again everyone for your assistance (this is what i love about this forum theres so much knowledgeable people here).

I have looked at the Dereelight NoHS http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm , i live in england, I tried buying the flashlight and it states I haev to pay a 100% VAT on the flashlight, doubling the price for no apparant reason...is there anywhere else i can buy this from without the extortion?

Although you mentioned no price point, a McGizmo SunDrop or Mule might be an excellent option if the budget would allow. In that case, it could also have an alternate UV light engine, too.
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-23-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Although you mentioned no price point, a McGizmo SunDrop or Mule might be an excellent option if the budget would allow. In that case, it could also have an alternate UV light engine, too.
    Sundrop - OMG! what a flashlight, just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KYXjup-Lk

Where do they sell these? I cant find much on these flashlights?

Just to summarize, if you want an LED flashlight with no hotspot, here are the available options:

Option 1: Mule - a mule is a flashlight with reflector or optic. Usually there will be a flat lens to protect the top of the emitter, but this is just there for protection, not to affect the beam. Beam tends to be diffuse with a VERY wide beam angle and tends to fade out gradually. The light is useful for lighting things close up, or if it's using a powerful emitter, lighting up a whole room. There's no throw so is not effective for distance lighting. Typical beam angle might approach 120 degrees.

Option 2: Aspheric lens - an aspheric lens will focus the emitter into a tight throwy beam when the emitter is place on the focal point of the lens. When the LED is off the lens and moved closer to the emitter, the light will produce a perfectly flat circle of light. Inside the circle, the light output is completely uniform with no hotspot. The edges of the circle are usually very sharp.... with almost no light emitted outside. This kind of lens is often found on budget zoom lights where the lens is mounted on a moveable bezel that can be slid back and forth to convert the lens from flood to throw. NOTE: the closer the lens stops to the top of the LED, the wider the flood. Typical beam angle for most aspheric zoom flashlights is around 45 degrees, but they can sometimes be modded to increase beam angle to around 90 degrees.

Option 3: Diffuser - a light might have a conventional reflector or TIR with a diffuser pattern on top of the lens. This could be a diffuser lens on top of a regular flashlight reflector, or it could be a TIR optic with a diffuser front face, or it could be removable diffuser film or even scotch tape temporarily attached to the front of the light. Some lights even have flip-down diffusers so the light can be swapped from pure flood to a more conventional beam pattern. In all cases, the diffuser spreads out the light that hits it. You'll get a very wide even beam pattern that gradually diminishes at the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Underworld_Magic View Post
    Sundrop - OMG! what a flashlight, just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KYXjup-Lk

Where do they sell these? I cant find much on these flashlights?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d-SunDrop-XR-U

check out the McGizmo forum under custom and modified lights. The designer is Don McLeish. His lights are incredibly nice and his customer service is second to none. You can buy them by emailing him as directed in the above thread.

Flashaholic*

flashaholics.co.uk is a good uk website .