Flashlight with no hotspot

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Im looking to buy a flashlight, which has variable intensity levels, and has no hotspots.

Im not really looking for a thrower. Im intending on using it for fingerprint examination work (im a CSI); so id like to use it on low intensity closeup, and high intensity when examining a large or crime scene.

I have a little single AA UltraFire (not sure if its fake or not though), and works well with no hotspots, but i need something with more intensity

Any suggestions?

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Sounds like you're looking for a mule head. The Peak Logan 17500 with mule head may be a good fit. It offers variable intensity and can get quite bright on a rechargeable battery, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for examining a larger area (unless it's extremely dark). Depending on the lux required, it could be a good fit for you.

Another suggestion is to get a light with multiple levels and a large hotspot (instead of no hotspot). This may allow you to do up-close work at the correct intensity, while still allowing you to examine a larger area when necessary.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know little about mules...but if you do a search for "recommend a mule" there are lots of pre-existing threads that might give you some guidance. I'd start with that, learn the terms and general design, and go from there.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi,

Im looking to buy a flashlight, which has variable intensity levels, and has no hotspots.

Im not really looking for a thrower. Im intending on using it for fingerprint examination work (im a CSI); so id like to use it on low intensity closeup, and high intensity when examining a large or crime scene.

I have a little single AA UltraFire (not sure if its fake or not though), and works well with no hotspots, but i need something with more intensity

Any suggestions?

Depending upon your application, you might want a mule...a light with no reflector, just the open faced emitter, so the effect is more like a light bulb than a typical beam.

The Jetbeam RRT-01 is not bad for a floody beam that can be varied in intensity with a control ring. If a few spread out modes would work, the ZebraLight SC600 is very good for this sort of thing as well.

Both lend themselves well for sidelighting applications, such as getting the ridges, hairs, etc, to pop out better, etc.

I do forensic investigations, so, my applications are probably analogous to yours.

I find, typically, for me at least, the mules are a bit too unfocused (Well, none at all...), and I prefer a fan shaped beam pattern so I have a better feel for the delineation of my areas sweeped, etc. A like a wide beam though, and, sure, a hot spot = glare = missed details.

:D

Last edited:

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it.

I'll get searching on mule heads and go from there (its a new term for me, so ive learnt something new)

Thanks

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
My sunwayman v10r ti+ is floodiest single cr123 light that I have without any hot spot. The smooth dimming goes from ~0.001 lumen to 500. I highly recommend it.

ven

Flashaholic
I would say mule too,no reflector so light goes out at a very wide angle.
If struggling i would suggest a custom light,with your requirements and size/cell preference etc and pm vinh
His section here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

he could build /make one for ideal lumens/beam/host suggestions on your requirements............

:twothumbs

Depending on budget then
mcgizmo mule,beautiful,ti............well simply stunning............a very special light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?298316-Titanium-Mule-Wave

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other option is to for a zoomable light with an aspheric lens. These tend to be cheaply made budget lights, but with a few mods you can get a light that is in many ways superior to a mule. You'd get the wide even beam with no hotspot provided by a mule, but unlike a mule would have the option to zoom the beam in if you need more light for something in the distance.

I recently bought a $15 budget zoomable headlamp from Ebay. I did a very quick mod on it replacing the driver with a 1.5 amp 3-mode, and the emitter with a 4000k XML2 80 CRI neutral on Noctigon star. Entire mod took less than an hour.

Result: Beautiful even floodbeam with no hotspot and can focus for viewing in the distance. The flood isn't as wide as it could be with additional modding, and the spot isn't as focused. But for my goal of having something for close up detail work, its perfect.

Alternatively, you could go for a light with a reflector or TIR with frosted front lens. Lights like this will produce a wide diffiuse floodbeam with no hotspot very similar to a mule. Zebralight sells floody lights like this.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised no one has mentioned the FourSevens Atom series yet.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a Armytek Wizard Pro. First it was for the headlamp configuration. But, after using it I installed the pocket clip put a paracord Lanyard on it and now its always in my pocket. To me it has no real hot spot, has multiple modes, and outputs. its perfect for my work,climbing in a dark cockpit setting it up prior to power on, crawling in wheel wells, equipment bay,etc.
check it out might be what your looking for.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what your price range is or what battery configuration you're looking for, but how about a Zebralight H502w or H502d? Both are headlamps that run on AA batteries and have 120 degree beam spread, as well as multiple output levels.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Dereelight NOHS. Exactly what you need.

This. I have a No Hot Spot Dereelight for sale on CPF Marketplace. Mine is modded with the Nichia emitter for colors that are more true to life. Someone just asked for a beamshot, so I have a picture here to share. It was harder than I thought to capture the true color, and while it does have a slight pink cast to it on the white wall, in real life use it just makes the colors look great. Even if this tint is not to your liking, you can get an idea of the beam shape.

Sunwayman V11R - Dereelight NoHS - Zebralight h52w

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about, any well built flashlight with the UI Battery & mode spacing you want then just put on a Diffuser that most companies make to fit there line of lights ?

In would recomend a fully variable output using a ring like nitecores srt 3/5/6/7 range or sunwaymans V25c. these will give you any brightness you desire. then just buy the right diffuser to go with it and you will have a beautiful floody beam.

Craig K

Enlightened
Elzetta Charlie high output with drop in flood optic, I have this set up and there is no hot spot.

Last edited:

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Thanks for the beam shot KQL, this is exactly what ive been looking for...i love the output of that flashlight. Thanks again everyone for your assistance (this is what i love about this forum theres so much knowledgeable people here).

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although you mentioned no price point, a McGizmo SunDrop or Mule might be an excellent option if the budget would allow. In that case, it could also have an alternate UV light engine, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts