I Suck @ Math

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone else suck @ math?

i've got two different algebra books here that i've read nearly in full, but this crap just doesn't soak in.

i dropped outta highschool in the 9th grade in order to homeschool so my studies wouldn't be restricted.

i can do anything.. anything but math..

and to anyone who is a math wiz'.. how the hell do i grasp this?

Darkaway

Enlightened
There are three kinds of people in this world: the ones who can count, and the ones who can't.

But seriously, if other challenges don't intimidate you, why should math? It's all in your state of mind. Have confidence in yourself. Math may not come naturally to you, but hard work can overcome almost anything.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mathematicians seem to be horrendous writers and are even worse at explaining the intricacies of their chosen profession. Every math textbook I've seen has had terrible connectivity problems between the descriptions of the theorum, the examples, and the actual problems they give you to do. Huge gaps exist and explanations that are actually relevant are infrequent at best. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever seen. A technical writer in any other profession would be fired on the spot if they made the conceptual connectivity errors these guys make on nearly every page.

My only suggestion is to get something like the "Dummies" books which generally explain these things for normal humans instead of for those folks who seem to be able to understand these topics without adequate explanation and broken connections.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 43 years old and struggled with math my whole life. A few years ago I went to the library and picked up a couple of books on doing the basics. I did this because I felt that my use of calculators all these years had weakened my (already weak) math skills. I wish I had known about books like these when I was in school ....... man they were great. I probably would have gotten better math scores. Why they can't teach math and explain it like in the books I read is beyond me.

In any case, like Quickbeam said ....go get a "Dummies" type book. I did, and learned more on my own in a few days than all my years being frustrated by math teachers who could care less (except one named Dave Niemic).

Mike

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to tutor math & physics. I absolutely loved watching people's faces light up when they "get it". Trust me, you too can "get it"!

I don't suck at math, but it takes me far more explanations to grasp it than others. I've simply kept hammering at it. (Now I'm an engineer)

What I've found (just as others have too of course) is that because there are so many different ways people think about things, the description needs to connect closely with the familiar things where the person feels comfortable thinking. Because of that, I can't answer your question yet.

Here's where the training might start if you can find a good book, friend, or tutor:

Are you good at languages?
Math is truly just a language for describing the things you probably already know about. (But it gives you some advantages of precision)

Do you like history?
Starting with some basics of what people discovered, such as pi, the Pythagoras's theorem, etc and what they were initially used for can get you started and also keep your head interested. This stuff didn't just start with some mathematicians sitting around and discovering things. Largely it was funded by royalty because a need existed in trade, safety, or maybe even just a religious question existed. Did you know that the concept of "zero" was an absolutely revolutionary one and why? etc.

Are you an English major?
It's hopeless. No, just kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Did you know that Lewis Caroll was heavily into math and wrote it into his stories such as Through the Looking Glass and others? Some stories are loaded. Look for his complete works. That's one place to start on your own, but there are other perhaps better ways that involve describing the math concepts in terms of people and their emotions that a good tutor might grasp onto.

Are you into athletics?
Baseball? Track? Swimming? Football? There are endless opportunities to connect algebra here. Most people into baseball already do much of that, but other sports have lots too it's just not as obvious.

I hope some of this drivel helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
I was just barely average at math in high school and didn't really get it either until I started taking electronic courses and learned ohms law. Then I got it. I had no idea about trig at all until my ac electronics class and again I got it just by having real life application and having to solve based on actual values.

Mutech

richpalm

Banned
Don't feel bad... I have a learning disability with a 4th grade math level. I am 48. If it's over 2+2, forget it. I don't even know what I'm looking at.

However, I make up for that with excellent English and writing skills.

Rich

"...man's got to know his limitations."
--Clint Eastwood

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not very "mathletic" either, but hard work and repitition seemed to help me Advanced algebra was about as far as I got. I tried calculus twice in college, with no success. It just seemed to abstract for me.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was horrible at math all the way through school. What finally got me out was two things 1) Get a tutor, at our school there was one provided for students who were behind. He was really patient with me and it gave me the confidence to take on math 2) Take it during the summer, where you do math daily. I use to take math classes during the regular semester, they would meet once a week. By the next week I already forgot what we talked about the week before. In the summer, doing math day after day keeps it fresh in your mind.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Lewis Caroll would work out problems obsessively to keep his thoughts pure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
I hated and sucked at math (algebra in particular) untill I took an intermediate alg. class for a semester at a local college, I got about a b average in it. It makes a big difference to me at least to have an actual human explain it. I didn't even read the stupid book, if I did it would get confused! Math books are stupid! They are written by mathemeticians for mathemeticians, not normal idiots like me. Best of luck to you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkaway:
math just doesn't make sense to me.. i never understand the reasons behind the steps..
right now, hard work is the only thing keeping my GPA up. *lol*

Quickbeam:
that's exactly what i say..
and i should've known someone would tell me to get a Math for Dummies book.. *lol*

Mike:
i think that's the ticket, like Quickbeam just mentioned and several others who replied have -- get self-help books.. the books i have are simply college algebra books..
but hey, nothing's wrong with calculators! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

binky:
i'm impressed that you've become an engineer after being in a similar situation as me.. when i do grasp some math, it indeed takes more explaining than the average student requires.. i just happen to forget it a week later.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
as of now my major is undecided.. i started with the plan of being a vet, then i had some trouble with math.. my Aunt was an English major and she's doing very very well for herself right now, and since she's been such a role model for me i have been considering it. especially since English is a breeze for me, just wasn't what i wanted to do b4..
i'm not so sure about a tutor.. time constraints could be a problem, but i certainly can't rule it out.
thanks for the advice.

Sfears:
when you finally *got it*, did that extend to all the math you were dealing with, or certain branches?

Rich:
how'd you get away with that!?? i wanna know how to do it! *lol* (*waving anti-math flag*)

Ed:
i know exactly what you mean when you say math seems abstract.. when i'm writing poetry or essays, i can WRITE very abstract and completely luv it.. but when you replace letters with numbers, EVERYthing changes.. it looks soooo ugly.

V8:
great plan! i haven't spent a summer here yet, so i haven't quite roped and wrangled the ways of college. this will probly save me some rough experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Negeltu:
i don't wanna reach that level of insanity. EVERYthing the man did was nuts. (this is the man who wrote Alice in Wonderland right? and the man who said "sometimes i've believed as many as 6 impossible things b4 breakfast." right?)

bwcaw:
maybe it would be a good idea to take some different math class.. i find myself neglecting the books too alotta the time.. you're right, they're written for ppl who get math, not for ppl who are trying to.

richpalm

Banned
Rich:
how'd you get away with that!?? i wanna know how to do it! *lol* (*waving anti-math flag*)

By having idiots for teachers that kept me after school and sat me in the hallway instead of recognizing a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Nobody knew anything in the 70's.