Suggested P60 drop-in for a single CR123a light: must it be a 3V?

STORMINORMAN

Newly Enlightened
As per the title, any suggestions for a P60 style LED drop-in for a light that uses a single CR123a battery? Must it be a 3.0V bulb assembly? Not going to be used for anything except EDC. Seems the SUREFIRE lines for their single SF123a configuration use only the e-type lights or a conversion to a completely different head assembly.

Not looking for multiple hundreds of lumens, just enough to get someone's attention in a parking lot situation. 1-MODE w/b fine.

Thanks!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Malkoff M31 would do nicely or any of Nailbender's low voltage drop ins. If you're looking to do it on the cheap, a SolarForce low voltage drop in will work as well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As per the title, any suggestions for a P60 style LED drop-in for a light that uses a single CR123a battery? Must it be a 3.0V bulb assembly? Not going to be used for anything except EDC. Seems the SUREFIRE lines for their single SF123a configuration use only the e-type lights or a conversion to a completely different head assembly.

Not looking for multiple hundreds of lumens, just enough to get someone's attention in a parking lot situation. 1-MODE w/b fine.

Thanks!

You are posting in the LED section, but asking about a 3 v bulb?

Can we call the "bulb" an LED?

:D

If so the driver would have a working range or limit, and as long as that INCLUDES 3 v, it will work.

It might be brighter if it could get 3.7 v for example, but, it would at least light as long as the forward voltage of the LED was being met by the driver.

So, if getting a P60 style drop in....get one that included a working limit that includes 3 v operation (It might say the range is 3.0 - 4.2 v for example)

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teej, I. I assuming he wants a drop in that is regulated on a single 3 volt lithium, meaning it needs to be able to run in regulation below 3 volts, not just down to 3 volts.

I reiterate the Malkoffs. You will get regulated full output as long as the boost circuit can deliver the voltage to the LED and a long, long taper after that.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M31 all the way.I have a Malkoff M61L in my G2(the old all-Nitrolon version) and it reawoke my G2 more than I ever expected.

STORMINORMAN

Newly Enlightened
I found a P60-style (YES: an LED drop-in) CREE XM-L T6 that's 3.0-4v for $7.82 shipped (!) from a company called FastTech.com. Anybody heard of them? Would I be better off using a rechargeable lithium 123a @ 3.7v as far as adding more LED drop-in choices? The application is in a Solarforce L2M using only one 123a-sized battery, not using the extender that allows 2 X 123a's or a single 18650.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, using a lithium ion cell will open up your options quite a bit. The SolarForce tubes are +18 mm stock so you can run an IMR 18350 if you like in addition to the 16340 (RCR123a). That may actually be a better choice if you want to run an XM-L based drop in that's pushed very hard at all.

STORMINORMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info: actually found a 0.8-4.2v CREE that seems to work just fine with a 3.0v rechargeable LiFePO4, a CR123A and, hopefully, with an AW 123A 3.7v and/or 4.2v 18650 (by adding a 1 X 123A-sized extender) once they arrive. Heck, probably will run OK on 2 X AA's with the 2 X 123A extender as well. An inexpensive alternative (IMHO) to a SureFire single 123A-sized light for EDC. Any simple solutions for keeping two AA's from rolling around in a 18650-sized body?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can really use anything including rolling up paper inside the tube but Oveready sells some nifty delrin inserts that work really well. I use one in my Malkoff MD3 with an M31w in which I run AAs.