LED drop-in for Surefire L30

bpt233506

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I have an older Surefire 3V weaponlight which utilizes what I believe is the L30 bezel. I'm not all that crazy about lumen output but 20 lumens I feel is just unacceptable and I would like to upgrade to LED if possible. I know I probably have several options including using a new bezel but I really want to retain the classic look. I believe the main issue is that the bezel is the shock-isolated type which makes simple LED drop-ins a problem.

I was wondering what options do I have? I was looking at the Malkoff M31 which apparently is designed for 3V systems but I don't know if it will work and remain durable in an L30. Would I need to pull out the foam shock-isolating components and replace it with some kind of spacer?

Thanks!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The low voltage Malkoff should work without any issues since the spring end tapers and fits in that style adapter. You wont have to remove the shock absorbing foam. An R30 lamp assy IIRC is P60 sized. Just a low volt unit. You could make or buy a low voltage P60 LED. A simple driver with the trusty AMC7135's will go down to 2.7 volts and either a RCR or a regular CR123 will power it.

bpt233506

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I know that the M31 will drop right in physically speaking but I've read many times that there will be cooling issues when used with the shock isolating foam setup. I was kind of wondering if I could replace the foam with some sort of spacer. Doing any electrical modifications to light bulbs is way beyond my capabilities so I'm trying to avoid any of that.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could just replace the shock isolating bezel with a standard Z44.

Latest posts