Arkansas Tornado - Video By Drone

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following video was moved from our "Interesting Video" thread, to its own dedicated thread. The seriousness of it, and the use of a drone for news reporting, could make it worthy of its own discussion. - Empath

Arkansas Tornado Damage Aerial Video 4-27-2014

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7s2lzDtjew&sns=fb

Last edited by a moderator:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Storms w/Tornadoes Approaching the Southeast Now

That storm system that's been in the news lately is headed our way now, expected to arrive sometime this evening. There were tornadoes in Arkansas the other day from what I've heard. This has been getting attention since it's happening nearly a year to the day that we had the huge tornado outbreak in 2011 that hit multiple southern states hard. On the plus side, the timing has made everyone remember what that day was like and I think more people are taking the warnings seriously than they might otherwise.

Schools and some businesses let out early today, and I went by the grocery store. It was busy and the employees were also talking about he increased traffic. I took that as a good sign that people were preparing.

I'm charging batteries now... not that I NEED to, it's just sort of an instinct. I've got a reserve stash of alkalines in the closet; the 30-ish AAs alone would probably last me a month!

I'll charge up my little MP3 player/radio too. It was very useful in that last power outage for listening to the radio while still being able to walk about, and not having to use D cells in the portable boom box.

Not much left to do but wait at this point!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Storms w/Tornadoes Approaching the Southeast Now

I'm not finding a radio station in all of central/east Mississippi that's providing any coverage, Jackson's talk station is just the usual national political programming. I hope one of the stations that doesn't stream is at least alerting people, there's significant damage from multiple tornadoes all over the state..

Edit: WKBB 100.9 FM out of Mantee is doing coverage now.

Edit: Most tornado-active day in Mississippi history; at least six tornado touchdowns with seven counties under tornado warnings at 6:30 PM. What a mess:

i0viadNtSaPix.jpg

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

... it's been an absolute wildfire of tornadoes in the south

Have a NOAA radio everyone!

__________^

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Power outages reported and trees down around the north-most edge of Alabama. From the radio it sounded like some areas there were hit repeatedly by the strongest storms and/or tornadoes.

The radio is saying that many of the public storm shelter buildings are filled up; I think that's the first I've heard of a report like that during a severe weather event.

No active warnings close to my area at the moment, though some of the middle portions of Mississippi and Alabama still show tornado warnings.

The major storm activity is supposed to pick up again tomorrow afternoon..... oh boy!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Estimated nine tornadoes in MS, AL's turn now (radio coverage @ AM 1070 WAPI); the entire center of the state is under a tornado warning, rightly so since the radar sees three tornadoes near Birmingham:

iSBsRyEiNFM3q.jpg

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

There were 14 lives lost in Arkansas lastnight, several injured, many homes lost, cars and 18 wheelers damaged. The local stations did a good job tracking the storms and they were on all today showing the aftermath. I suffered no losses personally, praise God.

The people of Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee are in my prayers.

Here is a video showing some of lastnights storm coverage and drone footage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0jwr1Xy1s0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Yeah, yesterday was nasty:

iNkTAplqqkC3n.png

Today was modestly more calm, although the southern extreme of Mississippi, which was spared yesterday, got loads of hail and storms. North Carolina had seven tornadoes, and some areas received over five inches of rain per hour.

fyrstormer

Banned

+

... it's been an absolute wildfire of tornadoes in the south

Have a NOAA radio everyone!

__________^
I get NOAA alerts on my smartphone. In some ways it's even better than a NOAA radio, because it doesn't rely on a single broadcast tower for service.

Anyway, it's only a matter of time before this becomes the standard way to assess damage after a storm.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's stupid. The FAA needs to find a way to accommodate this, not penalize it.

Yea, it's not like a little drone like that is going to cause a problem with air traffic control.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, it's not like a little drone like that is going to cause a problem with air traffic control.

Seriously. I've flown an electric model airplane at higher altitude than that. (OH NO DON'T TELL THE FAA!)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

No worries, my dad was air traffic controller!

Anyway, my neck of the woods dodged the bullet on the storms; some other neighboring towns got slammed pretty bad, but the news was saying that hundreds of people showed up at public storm shelter buildings prior to the event, so that probably saved a lot of lives.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

No worries, my dad was air traffic controller!

Anyway, my neck of the woods dodged the bullet on the storms; some other neighboring towns got slammed pretty bad, but the news was saying that hundreds of people showed up at public storm shelter buildings prior to the event, so that probably saved a lot of lives.[/

An EF4 tornado touched down about 15 miles from me and traveled about 41 miles on a path of destruction here in Arkansas. I think after people saw what this storm did in Arkansas they knew to take cover.

Last edited: