newbie XTAR VP1 questions...

WebHobbit

Enlightened
OK so I just got my first charger -an XTAR VP1. I charged up two new KeepPower 3400mAH 18650 protected cells. These are going into a Malkoff MD4 body with an M61L. This is my all purpose "house light". Anyway it took about 2.5 hours and now the charger has stopped charging and the display reads 4.19 and 4.17 after they sat there for about 5 minutes. So my questions are:

1) Are these readings showing the cells are matched enough to use in a two cell light or should I try some more?

2) Do I need to wait longer and see if it changes?

3) Do they need to be removed from the charger for a while and then put back in to check? If so how long should they be out first?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are fine for use and are within the proper tolerances. All of my Li-Ion batteries come off of my VP1 at 4.19v's. 18650's, 18500's.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cycle them a few times in your light(s) and then discharge them down to equal/close voltages and then charge them back up and see what you see?

Li-ions are all different and you can't expect to have things all (and always) be equal, like the beers in your six pack.

Chris

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Oh I know....just wanted to be sure these were close enough for multi-cell use. One other thing I just noticed - despite buying the exact cells that Gene Malkoff recommended me get they actually fit the MD4 host so tightly that I had to shove them in and then when I went to take them out I had to remove the head and tail and shove them out with a pencil! Any danger to this level of tightness? Seems to function fine.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I know....just wanted to be sure these were close enough for multi-cell use. One other thing I just noticed - despite buying the exact cells that Gene Malkoff recommended me get they actually fit the MD4 host so tightly that I had to shove them in and then when I went to take them out I had to remove the head and tail and shove them out with a pencil! Any danger to this level of tightness? Seems to function fine.

I bought some Evva 14500s that are freakin' long and fat and they don't work well in my lights, so I don't use them.

Gene's lights can be cramped. Welcome to SureFire.

Chris

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Heh...except SF never made ANYTHING to fit 18650..which is why I switched to Malkoff hosts. I didn't wanna mess with having my SFs bored.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh...except SF never made ANYTHING to fit 18650..which is why I switched to Malkoff hosts. I didn't wanna mess with having my SFs bored.

No need top worry at all about having the Surefire's bored for 18650's. They are fine. Most every one of mine os bored for 18mm cells. Mine were done by Oveready. Well worth the money spent.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I know they do quality work I just ddn't wanna mess with shipping them back and forth when the Malkoff hosts were available at a decent price.